Home Forums WWII How to paint 6mm early German armour?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I am about to commence on the journey of painting up fome early war stuff. I cannot for the life of me find any useful information about how to best paint early war German armour in 6mm. I get that they are just grey, but I want it neither too dark, nor too light.

How have you done it? Which colours?

I tend to prime all of mine in a vague light grey.

Participant

For my really early war stuff, I use the grey/brown camo scheme, which I saw on the Flames of War website, to break up the grey. It was discontinued after the Fall of France though, IIRC. I didn’t think about it too much, just used the quite dark grey in the Vallejo range. I have some Panzer IVFs for Barbarossa on my painting tray at the moment, and they are just getting the grey. A little dull perhaps, but no more than the Soviet or Allied stuff. Apologies, don’t know if any of that was any help.

Participant

Panzergrau was a bluish-grey. I’d look at Vallejo 70.943 and go from there.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

This has been helpful, thanks. I think I am overthinking it and will just use the Vallejo German Grey and then drybrush the crap out of them with some lighter grey.

Participant

I just do mine dark grey (any old grey, it faded fast), loads of mud around the running gear for contrast, then a light dry brush of tan/dust/light grey. Add in the odd air recognition flag for a splash of colour. Job done.

Most tanks are just the colour of the last thing they drove through.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.