Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi How to play… in five minute intervals

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Reynolds
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a YouTube channel that explains how to play Armoured Digital. The core concepts of the basic game can be explained to people in 5-minute intervals (three videos of five minutes each, with a couple more videos for people playing the full game). It’s sort of a point of pride that the core of the game is simple to explain, but the interaction of drone selection, target selection, order selection, order timing, etc makes this a game with many possible outcomes.

However, in the time since the Kickstarter finished it’s given time for doubt to sink its claws in. Obviously, when I watch the videos back I think it gives a clear understanding of how to play, but then again as I wrote the rules it’s easy for me to think that it covers everything.

If you have a little time to have a look, can you watch at least the first three videos here and see if at the end of it you have a clear understanding of the rules? Is there anything that you’re unclear about at the end of watching those three that you might like me to expand upon in order to clear up what’s happening?

Rhoderic
    Participant

Since you ask, and hoping you appreciate that this is all constructive criticism:

The first video left me feeling like I’d missed some information that was supposed to come before it, specifically a quick run-down of the basic building-blocks of gameplay. You threw down some stat cards on the table and immediately directed the viewer to note a specific stat on them, before actually telling the viewer that the game uses stat cards in the first place. Similarly, you threw down order cards on the table and started working out their gameplay effects before the viewer had been informed that the rules are built around the use of order cards at all. This is somewhat disorienting in a one-way form of teaching that doesn’t allow me to stop and ask you questions to assure myself I haven’t missed anything. I’d have liked a quick “this is a stat card” and “this is an order card” with cursory explanations of what information they contain and how they’re used, prior to the tutorial on movement. I’m no stranger to stat cards and I know they’re quite ubiquitous in modern sci-fi and fantasy rulesets, but still, I’d have liked to have been made familiar with what a stat card is, does and contains in the context of this game as a first step. Order cards even more so, as they’re less ubiquitous in wargames rules. Some other basic building-blocks that would be good form to point out right in the beginning – even if they become evident enough later on – are the types of dice and the standards of measurement that the game employs. There might be additional ones as well (commander cards and card decks as mentioned in the third video?).

In the second video, I don’t think you ever stated what the ordinary to-hit threshold is prior to modifiers. I assume it’s 4+ on a D6 given that your example with 2 negative modifiers and 1 positive modifier arrived at 5+, but having to land at that conclusion myself tripped me up for a moment, which broke the flow. Also, resolving die rolls at 4:05 tripped me up a bit as well. As you were narrating “our target here has 2 hits in the hit pool…”, it would have been better if at that moment you had removed the grey die that was a miss, leaving it clearly visible that there’s a hit pool of 2 dice. Similarly, at “…and requires a 4+ to save, it saves 1…” it would have been better if you had removed the black dice that were failed saves only then and not sooner. Only at “…leaving 1 hit in the hit pool that goes on to become a point of damage” was your narration roughly synchronous with what has happening on the table.

Nothing tripped me up in the third video, except maybe the aforementioned commander cards and card decks that would have been nice to have explained in an introductory “building blocks” segment as described above. I haven’t watched the last two videos yet, but I might get to them later.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Rhoderic.
    Mike
    Keymaster

So I had a quick look at the first one.
    My impression is that the video is to re-cap on some rules that have been read/explained previously.
    I was not fussed myself with the lack of explanation of the cards and that you have them.
    But then, I had read the above comment and knew cards were coming.

So the move stat of 3 and each point of move stat gives you 3” explanation was fine.
    Then you played the move card  but was then thrown when you did not say they move 9”.
    I am having to guess that you can only move in increments of 3″, or that you have a fast, slow and medium move rate?
    But then how do they move 12″ would that not be a move stat/factor of 4 which tanks don’t have?

Minor thing, you say that some terrain can reduce your movement to 1 unless it is already lower than that?
    If it is lower than 1 can it even enter terrain?

Cool dice though and the tanks are nifty.

Summary on part one, feels a bit like a re-cap rather than an explanation.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Mike. Reason: +k
    Chris Reynolds
    Participant

Thanks guys! I hadn’t considered that angle. Yeah, I guess it’s easy when you’re really familiar with everything to just pick up and run with all this stuff, but for people coming in cold there’s things that need some additional explanation. When I set this one up I was sort of trying to ‘jump to the action’ with the explanation, so that people can see tanks moving around in the battlespace rather than just waiting for the basics to be explained.

If there were a separate video made to go in front of this one in the sequence that describes all the basics, would that fix the issue?

@Rhoderic
    , yeah I get you with the dice part. I laid down audio and video separately so that I could follow it, but it doesn’t look all that clear when I’m moving the dice around what part it what on the re-watch.

Mike
    Keymaster

If there were a separate video made to go in front of this one in the sequence that describes all the basics, would that fix the issue?

Hopefully. 😀

Rhoderic
    Participant

I think so. At the same time I get your point about wanting to jump straight into the action without forcing viewers to go over the “theory” first. For my own part, though, not knowing the basic framework makes me trip up and go “wait, did I miss something he said earlier in the video?” when these new gameplay elements get thrown down on the table. That ultimately made the first video much longer than 5 minutes, as I found myself losing track of the demonstration while my mind had to re-allocate processing power to make its own conclusions about elements that “flashed by”, forcing me to pause the video in places or re-watch parts of it.

I also now realise you did briefly mention a “move orders card” at 0:46, but that didn’t really help as I couldn’t relate those words to anything concrete in the context of this game at that point.

On a completely different note, I found the volume of your voice a bit low compared to the volume of the intro-outro sound effects and music (although the calm way of speaking is a positive). For that matter – and I ask your pardon for going utterly off-topic at this point – I personally am a bit turned off by the way sci-fi and fantasy tabletop/miniatures games keep being paired with metal-ish music these days. I’m not really into that genre of music and sometimes feel like “metal culture” is taking over sci-fi and fantasy gaming in a bad way, like I’m expected to conform to it. But, I get that it’s probably a good selling point to a lot of people, and anyway, this is just me having a little rant that isn’t about your videos specifically. I just keep seeing lots of tabletop/miniatures gaming-related videos which seem to assume that because I’m a sci-fi/fantasy gamer, I must be a metalhead 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.