Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Hull colors at Trafalgar

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    McKinstry
    Participant

I’ve found very good generic information about hull colors of sailing ships and quite a bit for the Battle of the Nile but I’m coming up empty for Trafalgar (or Cape Finisterre 1805 for that matter). I know Santissima Trinidad was in a red with white trim and some sources say Santa Anna and another Spaniard were in all black (although the yellow trim may simply have been faded) but I’ve nothing for the British except Victory and Royal Sovereign in the Nelson chequer.

Any help for any other schemes specific to a ship for either side would be greatly appreciated.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

MattH
    Participant

I suspect it’s one of those subjects there’s very little information about and you may have to make some educated guesses. Have you tried this book?

McKinstry
    Participant

Thanks Matt. I was unaware of that book and hopefully combined with my Trafalgar Companion, I can have a vaguely on point set of fleets. The nice thing about the Forged in Battle 1/3000’s is that if I’m wrong, painting another ship or two is not a major project.

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

This is one of the subjects I’ve always been on the look out for – like the patterns of the miter bags of the Spanish grenadiers, or the boutonnieres of the early Russian Dragoon officers! 🙂
    Has anyone looked at The Ships of Trafalgar? any mention of appearance is notably absent from the blurb…
    Jon.

McKinstry
    Participant

Alas the cheapest I can find on ‘Ships of Trafalgar’ is $111 USD.

Does anyone know if this has actual historic colors or is just a generic set?

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Trafalgar-1805-Profile-Models/dp/1912174812/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534890793&sr=1-4&keywords=ships+of+trafalgar

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

I have Ships of Trafalgar.  Let me look and see if it says anything about paint schemes.  I do know that the Trafalgar Companion has several very nice color paintings.  One would hope they were done with a modicum of accuracy.

PS: Sorry for being so late to the conversation.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

I looked through my copy.  There is a color section in the center of the book showing some modern paintings (Derek Gardiner, Geoff Hunt, etc.) of the French and British ships, and some models from the Spanish Naval Museum.    Nothing particularly original.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

McKinstry
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll keep the $111 USD.

Volunteer
    Participant

I have the book also and have scoured it for color scheme details. Unfortunately there are none but the well known information on the Santisima Trinidad. The British fleet was all painted in the Nelson Checker at Trafalgar except perhaps for the smaller sloops & cutters.

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.