Home Forums WWII Hybrid Shermans

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    L L
    Participant

Finnaly got these finished, only things left are the fitting of the .30 cals, crew and making the bases for them.

As outined in other posts combination of two PSC Sherman kits, largely diy stowage with some of the excellent Value gear bits and some nice bits from Modelltrans. Excellent decals from Dan Taylors Workshop and PSC with the terrific Firefly barrell camo being very useful.
    L

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Reeeaaally nice work on the stowage, weathering, dirt, cammo netting, clutter, bric-a-brac….really nice. And I like seeing a whole unit (platoon?) ready to go on the table. Are these 1/72 models? Tim thinks so and he’s got a good eye, but please confirm. Also, and pardon my ignorance, what makes these tanks hybrids?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by zippyfusenet.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

malc johnston
    Participant

very very nice love em

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

L L
    Participant

Ta.

The hatches in the pics vary depending on which way round the coupla is so not to worry.
    The turret stowage box is from the PSC kit, the barrell camo decal is from PSC the rest of the decals from the Dan Taylor set.
    Not a lot more work than doing straight kits and a bit of ‘proper’ modelling is fun. There are details on the process somewhere on here as I remember.
    Always like the hybrids and needed 33 rd Brigade for a Market Garden game ( they supported the 101st Airborne).

Yes its a full squadron and they 1/72 PSC kits as the basis. Hybrids have the cast hull of the earlier Sherman welded to the rear hull section of a later model Sherman. It was a way of speeding up production when supply got short. The join is where the diagonal weld seam on the side shows.

L

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Beautiful painting, decalling and stowage.  However, Tim’s right – the hatches are on the wrong way round.  To explain: The curved side of each hatch-half is where the hinge is attached, so when open, the flat side should be up and the curved side should be down (attached to the cupola).

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

L L
    Participant

Ah see what you mean now Ive put the hatch the wrong way on the hinge pins, doh! Sometimes…………….I do wonder at myself ………..and not in a kindly way…………..some unpining required! That what you get from trying to be clever and having hatches that you can open and close.

L

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Sorry! 🙁

If it’s any consolation, I’ve no idea what I just went to my locker for and I appear to have left my packed lunch at home…

(Remembered to bring my painting reference books though…)

L L
    Participant

Not sure if I should congratulate you on remembering the important thing…………..painting reference or wonder at forgetting your stomach and forgeting the lunch! Then again you buy a new lunch anywhere whereas reference books………………

L

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Was it?!  Every day’s a school day! 🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Putting on my Sherman nitpick hat, the M4A1 (rounded cast hull) was actually the first Sherman, while the welded M4 was second.

indeed he is correct, the cast hulls took longer to work out (even though they are called M4) and so the welded type was the first to roll out (M4a1).  Sort of like the Panther D before the A…

Beautiful work Leon, even with the “senior slip”!  Tis a lot of work to chop the kits and rework like that in such a “small” scale, I’d call you bonkers if I hadn’t given it a try once in 15mm (oh, and how I failed!).

Interesting that some call them “Hybrid Sherman”, as I thought they were mostly called “Composite Sherman”.  Regardless, I bet it was a pain the rear end to meld the rounded front to the angular rear.  Bondo just wouldn’t do!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.