Home Forums General General I am 21 going on 22

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ooo, thanks for that link to the terrain video, Iโ€™ve been looking for ways to make better forests for 3mm and this might just be the key!

Somedays I feel like I am turning into a ‘Tango’!

Mike did some wonderful trees here (I think these were for 6mm or 10mm) but maybe worth asking how much he would charge for more realistic ones?

I’m OK with the abstract look as I’m using blocks.

I now have permission from ‘she who should be obeyed’ to go to Dunelm (though I may not be alone)…

Participant

I got myself a small mat at the weekend – if anyone wants a square foot or so (free of charge) let me know and I’ll post it to you (U.K. only – sorry). Its the olive green one

I am able to squeeze (loving these puns here) two bits out though the second will be slightly smaller…

Neither will be neat and tidy and may shed when you pull it out of the envelope!

Just drop me a PM with your address – first come first posted ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Finally got the bits together for the Palaeo Diet game but struggling wth the rules as I just cannot concentrate (too much real world going on) so I’ve taken an hour out to try the forest bath mat. The smaller wood is 5x5cm by the way.

I cannot remember when I last made such a mess with glue – maybe school ๐Ÿ™‚ and I just hah to have a few pleasant moments peeling the ‘skin’ off my fingers mid way through the build.

Ended up with UHU to stick the material down but adding the PVA into the mat took way much more glue than I thought and pulls little strands off the mat edges all over (you can see some of the bits on the edges).

Not convinced I’ve actually used enough PVA but we will see what capillary action will do overnight as it dries – adding more is not an issue.

I will say I am impressed how the glue changes the regimented pattern on the mat. A few trees / bobbles straighten themselves (see the big forest right side) but I’ll have a poke and prod as it dries.

Fun rating 8/10 with 10/10 for mess so far. I think bigger forests would be simpler but this is for my 1×1 foot game.

Participant

They look fine, I’m tempted to have a go ๐Ÿ™‚

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

They look fine, Iโ€™m tempted to have a go ๐Ÿ™‚

Drip me a PM if you want a bit of material – happy to post you some F.O.C. if you are in the U.K. There is zero chance I will use all of it!

Participant

Well I picked up some mat for less than the price of a stamp in a charity shop so I’m fine thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

Really does look good!ย  I might see if there are different sized bumps to maybe mark different types of forest/jungle, etc.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Well the first attempt is done – like everything practise will help ๐Ÿ™‚

not keen on the green but the brown I use on the bigger bits look wrong and I think too many trees are bent over. Not sure what happened – they looked OK to start but then kinda flopped!

But I have to say the mat does work and worth trying again with as a few more woods will be needed. I’m sure bigger woods should be easier to hide the edges (they stand proud due to the weave of the bobbles) and easier to handle.

Fun mini-project.

Participant

Still looks really good.ย  I like that it should be easy to be able to make an individual tree darker or lighter by selective drybrushing and give it as much oomph as you like.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

With the post of ‘The Elk Hunt’ hereย I can cross a whole item off!

Next up is to use the woods in a small game or two – been a while since I continued the Lincolnshire Revolution and see how red is getting on with the march to Brigg. I’ve got a B&W map (from Google) screen printed so I may annotate that for edification of none yellow bellies ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Well the Battle for Bonby gives me another completed line (5/4) but well behind (and not bothered).

Next up is a river for the Avon scenario in the small game – out with the blue tile, glue, flock, stones and mod-podge.

I had a long talk with my counsellor about gaming (though she doesย did not know a lot about it, she is happy to listen and understands more now) and the way I am struggling with the 28mm challenges. I may change them out for 15mm or even remove the SoBH for this run. I am much more interested in the block game and finding myself upset when I think about not doing the castle walls so for now 5/2 is on hold while I do a bit more on the one hour game.

Still need to think about the 40K bits – total lack of interest in this at the moment but may paint a figure or two as a change to painting green triangles.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.