Home Forums General General I am a Dropper!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Something I have noticed since starting painting 15mm figures is how much I drop them.
    I am not sure if I dropped the 6mm this much, but I have had to take to leaving several layers of tissue on my desk to soften the blow when they fall…

Anyone else a dropper?

Participant

I am a dropper when it comes to making models, but not when painting.

Participant

Yes, sometimes when holding a scalpel.

Participant

I attach many of my painting projects on wooden craft sticks and when popping off the finished figure/ship/tank etc.,  I too often drop them or they fly off at distressingly wrong angles.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

On my 10mm lead tanks, I don’t attach the turrets because when I drop them, I want the turret to fall away from the model and hopefully  the impact does not give me a mangled gun.

The other day I managed to drop an entire tray of hard plastic 28mm. The 4 foot drop cost me two flags, an officers sword and half a rifle with bayonet.

The other day I managed to drop an entire tray of hard plastic 28mm. The 4 foot drop cost me two flags, an officers sword and half a rifle with bayonet.

Uncool 🙁

I am also a brush licker.

Participant

I stick all my stuff to be painted onto painting strips. No more dropping.

The stuff I do drop are tiny plastic pieces of tanks which spring off the sprues despite using clippers, then followed by a lot of crawling around on the floor with a bright light trying to find them.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

My fingers sometimes decide to let go of whatever they are holding. Usually after a fresh layer of paint has just been applied. Naturally the mini will bounce into the nearest dust bunny. I am a bit better with sprues since it is usually only one of a pair of items that goes pinging off into the void. So for example if symmetrical head lights are a prominent feature of a vehicle, one will inevitably get lost…

Participant

I drop everything.

I drop everything.

I was once dropped from the U-11s ‘B’ football team for refusing to pass the ball. Does that count?

donald

Participant

Only if you couldn’t find it again.

Participant

I drop everything.

Me too….

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Participant

I was once dropped from the U-11s ‘B’ football team for refusing to pass the ball. Does that count?

Certainly not – that makes you a dropee

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

When I was a nipper I never dropped anything. Same with breaking bits off models. In them days our tanks had whip ariels, AA machine guns sprouting out, and sundry bits of kit hanging all over the place… nary a one got snapped off in the heat of battle.

Fast forward to the current state of old fartdom. I’ve a padded painting table so the little bastards have a soft landing after escaping my clutches, and the fields of glory? Well, to be fair they look more realistic than ever, with discarded swords, shields and spears sprinkled about liberally. A recurring nightmare is a complete rebuild of both armies after a battle.

Ain’t old age wunnerful?

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

I drop minis all the time. Every now and then I find minis I didn’t know I lost.

Participant

I drop stuff often enough to have put a soft floor in my shed/workshop, but I’m almost as likely to be unable to drop a thing because I’ve superglued it to myself…

Participant

I am also a brush licker.

How else are you supposed to clean them?

Participant

I once dropped a ruined church Id  spent weeks on. Smashed it to bits, patios can be very unforgiving.

I’m certain the neighbours were impressed with the stream of invective that followed.

Participant

Don’t drop it, man: take it pass/fail.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

I drop everything.

Yeah, pretty common for me to drop stuff.

Its weird…I am sure my fingers are out to get me!

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Participant

I drop plastic figures much more than metal ones. I think it’s because I’ve lost some sensitivity in my fingertips and, frankly, the plastic figures are so light I can’t even feel myself holding on to them–or not. Old fartdom indeed!

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

Dropped an xacto knife on my foot this weekend.  Luckily it landed butt-first and not blade first!  Still hurt like hell and left a little bruise…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Yep, I’m better at dropping stuff than I am at painting it. I sometimes accidentally break it in the process too, just for good measure. Doesn’t matter what it is, 6mm, 15mm, scenery, tools, water pot, glues, last nights chicken tikka masala dinner. Even the entire foam case containing all the minis, all over the floor.

Participant

I find this thread oddly reassuring. In particular I am reassured that I merely suffer from what my near-namesake above describes as “old fartdom”, rather than some obscure neurological disorder.

Keymaster

Even the entire foam case containing all the minis, all over the floor.

Was that at my old place when you bought the 6mm off me?

Participant

That was one of many, I’ve also done it several times since.

I’ve also dropped stuff and never found it. I dropped a DSG Cobra back along, it came off its base and disappeared. To this day my DSG merc group consists of 15 vehicles instead of 16.

Participant

I drop what I have finished. The damage a 2p coin does to the heads of a squad of 6mm figures is more than I thought. The down side to heavy bases.

Participant

I hate shag carpet…

Participant

Me I am abbandoning Metal, most of my stuff now is 3D printed.  One of the great things about 3D printing, vital to folk like me is generally it bounces and remains untouched.  Drop metal and you have had it BIG TIME damaged paint and  broken appart metal.

The other great advance to a Dropper/Loser like me is the new Twist lock Turrets on AOTRS Shipoyards stuff (I cajoled him to make this change) now I drop less turrets, its not that they break but you can lose them or tread on them when you drop them.

My buildings are card, again drop proof as well as taking up no space.   None is a cure but all help to mitigate the effects of dropping.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.