Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy I am the LORE!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

I posed this question in a GW FB group and am keen to see what sort of responses I get.

I am quite sure I know what sort of answers I will get here!!

“Is lore the law?

I recently got back into WFB and picked up a copy of 3rd Edition as that is what I played as a kid, so it would be familiar and bring back the happy feels.

3rd allows for all manner of customisation and provides points values loads of stuff.
    As such we have things in our armies that were not in the official army lists for 3rd edition (such as volley guns in my Empire army).

And we are fine with that.

My games are set in The Auld Ryding, which is the re-imagined version of The Riding.
    Originally The Riding was a WFB supplement with a very Olde English vibe to it and was heavy on the RPG side, but GW later changed its location and a few names to help it fit more seamlessly into the growing Old World Empire lore.

However The Auld Ryding is in the Stirland Sylvania border area, which is fine for my Empire troops but makes less sense for Samantha’s Dark Elves, so I have tweaked the lore to entwine her army and the Von Carsteins and will be having an alliance with the undead and the Dark Elves and mixing it up.

Especially as we have been watching the Hammer Horror Vampire Trilogy.
    Which for those that do not know are the noble Karnstein family, and their seat Castle Karnstein near the town of Karnstein in Styria, which is quite clearly where GW got the idea from.

So yeah, we are not taking the lore as law but more as inspiration for our own version.

What about you lot?

Law or Lore?”

Tony S
    Participant

The lore isn’t the law.  (Dredd is the law, but that’s an IP for another time).

Your figures, your house, your rules.

Jim Webster
    Participant

The lore isn’t the law. (Dredd is the law, but that’s an IP for another time). Your figures, your house, your rules.

I’m with Tony in this one. Your figures, your house, your rules.
    Once the money changes hands, the rule book and the world it contains is yours. Feel free to field strip it, add in interesting new bits you’re sure the author forgot due to an oversight on their part, and generally customise it to your heart’s content

As far as I can see you’re not attempting to monetise your efforts, so more power to your elbow, and keep us posted because you ARE the lore

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I agree with Tony and Jim. Afterall it’s fantasy anyway so do with it what you will, as it’s all about having fun at the end of the day.

Etranger
    Participant

What response did you get on the GW forum?

For mine, adopt and adapt away!

Angel Barracks

What response did you get on the GW forum?

So my own WFB FB group is mostly people saying that is what they do too, and a few people expanding on their own settings.

The main WFB FB group I am in has not had many replies, but most seem to be giving me permission to play how I want, rather than answering the question.

Angel Barracks

Actually, just had a sarky reply, so I blocked him.
    Solves that problem.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

For home play, totally go with what you want.  But I know GW tournaments are a whole different story (or at least were back in the day), with WYSIWYG and strictness on gear and colors and if you didn’t toe the line you were cast out.  Thank goodness this is a new age… 🙂

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

ian pillay
    Participant

The lore isn’t the law. (Dredd is the law, but that’s an IP for another time). Your figures, your house, your rules.

I’m with Tony in this one. Your figures, your house, your rules. Once the money changes hands, the rule book and the world it contains is yours. Feel free to field strip it, add in interesting new bits you’re sure the author forgot due to an oversight on their part, and generally customise it to your heart’s content<noscript></noscript> As far as I can see you’re not attempting to monetise your efforts, so more power to your elbow, and keep us posted because you ARE the lore<noscript></noscript>

ditto to the above. Dark elves get everywhere.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Steven Francis
    Participant

Definitely it’s a sandbox world…but I do see the tournament issues of not having controls. As I will never do tournaments, and last time I played in a flgs was about 10 years ago I am not to fussed. My Kislev has armoured bears cos…well bears in armour can not be said no to. So I have used the bear stats and points from the wood elves.
    Tbh I am planning a return to second edition 40k but using primaris marines as they are what I have…it’s a game, play it your way so long as it is fun. And that goes for rules, minis and background.

Mike Headden
    Participant

I am already a heretic in that I play Warmaster (aka Warhamster) not Warhammer, though it is at least still 10mm.

Even so, are you suggesting I may have transgressed in particpating in the High Elf, Dark Elf and Orc alliance (aka The Liberators) that swept all before it in a campaign a couple of years ago?

How about my Warmaster “Great Marienburg Crusade” army?

The “Wyld Wood” army of rats, wolves, bears, dryads, treemen, druids and Herne the Hunted?

Yeah,I’m not a great one for other peoples backgrounds 🙂

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fred B
    Participant

Maybe it’s because I am coming from an RPG background, but I never seen lore as law, more like an inspiration. Even if we play in a well established IP (let’s say Star Wars), we play in *our* version of the world – not the official one. Many things are the same, but there will be differences. Even in my early RPG days when I played all Warhammer, all the time, we just kinda took the setting as a general inspiration and we made up the details as we needed.

So I agree with pretty much everyone here: your figures, your house, your rules. As long as all players have fun, you are playing it the right way 🙂

Alex
    Participant

Why would anyone voluntarily put on a straightjacket?

lore is a jumping off point. The more I like, the more I keep, but to me, part of the fun is carving out my own version of a world.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)
    practising hobby eclecticism

craig cartmell
    Participant

GW are rapidly restoring their reputation as IP hounds and proving to be a complete bag of d*cks about it.

That said, once you buy a set of rules you can do what you damned well please.

Authors like Andrea Sfiligoi, Joe McCullough and myself, actively encourage players to have at it and enjoy the game in any form they see fit.

Cheers,
    Craig

The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare

Patrice
    Participant

The game organiser is always right. 🙂

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Mike
    Keymaster

So basically, everyone here is happy to ignore and or change the official fluff of games to suit their needs?

ian pillay
    Participant

Aye.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Alex
    Participant

I reckon that motion is carried!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)
    practising hobby eclecticism

Jim Webster
    Participant

GW are rapidly restoring their reputation as IP hounds and proving to be a complete bag of d*cks about it. That said, once you buy a set of rules you can do what you damned well please. Authors like Andrea Sfiligoi, Joe McCullough and myself, actively encourage players to have at it and enjoy the game in any form they see fit.

I always regarded a set of rules I write as a frame the player can hang their world on 🙂

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Wouter Wolput
    Participant

I agree with everyone. The rules and lore are for you to change as you will. If you don’t like something, just fiddle with it until you find something that clicks.
    IP aside, rules are not law. It’s having fun that counts.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I definitely consider the lord to be at the service of the player and not the reverse. A properly written world will be big enough to fit all kinds of ideas into it. It’s a sign that a game universe’s creators have outlived their ability to add anything substantive to the world when they can no longer accept or allow for the players’ ability to write their own versions of it without breaking it fundamentally somehow. I think this is why you see so many people reaching for older versions of games like WFB and 40K – you can simply put more of your own imagination into them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.