Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy I am the lore!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I spotted something a while back where a company was pre-viewing some new fantasy models and a few people asked about the background of these characters.
    This is not something I would ever ask as I would just make it up myself, to fit into my own setting.

Is having official lore about a model important to you?

Participant
    Participant

No.  In fantasy, I tend to build my own environment, probably heavily inspired by Tolkien, though more limited in that I like magic to be very rare and very expensive, and don’t want it to be too fantastical.

Participant

If I am utilizing the figure as the specific character in the RPG world it was created for (Such as some Space Marine Primarch for whatever0,000) then fluff would be an important thing in order to play the character with the proper motivations and personality.

But, if I plan on using them in my own games or as a generic figure then nope, don’t “need” the fluff.

That all said, I always do enjoy reading some fluff…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Lore is not essential, but if it is good enough and not too terribly specific then it can be plugged into an existing universe.  When you start getting into regional and global geo-politics, history, and religion, that does not plug and play well.  Best to keep it generic, e.g. desert realm, snake cult.

If you are creating a realm and some character stories to go with it; then it would be best to keep the stories contained within that realm so it can port over easily.  I would tend to avoid having major/complex stories that involve neighboring regions impact the realm you are designing.  If you do have outside influences I’d keep it generic.  e.g. nomadic peoples from a neighboring realm invaded in the past.

You are at a place with your project where you have some lore to go with your figures.  I’d go with it for your RPG/game supplement when its ready.  If its appropriately designed (as described in my opinion above) people will plug it into their game at a higher rate and that will add value to your creations.

Perhaps you will create another region after you are content with the current work.  That could be your sequel, v2, or supplement as it may be.  Once that one is fleshed out, your magnum opus (Act III) could be a supplement with a titanic conflict between the two realms.  Just musing, have fun!

Ha, actually I did not have my stuff in mind when posting this.
    I was genuinely not expecting people to ask for the background about the models this chap was bringing out, and I don’t think he was either.
    😀

My rules are almost done and have pretty much zero reference to the world.
    The scenario book will, but only for flavour. The scenarios will be set in generic places; ruined desert temple, prosperous trading town, oasis, tribal village etc.
    The lore book will have stuff like maps and places and names and currency and all that jazz.

Participant

I make my own lore. Sometimes I steal stuff from other settings and occasionally I don’t even bother renaming it. As such my universe is a mess of ever evolving ideas.

I adopt many tropes. Don’t care. Love them.

I have too many ideas. I can’t play enough games to further the history of my worlds at a rate similar to the ideas that come to me.

Participant

I think initially lore is important.  I often look for other references I enjoy in the same vein.   It help you ‘relate’ to the game. For example Crom’s Anvil has aspects of the Conan books and movies, Arabian Nights, D and D etc.  Mash ups are cool too, movies like Outland or Westworld get my attention as well.  I usually adopt certain parts or aspects of the lore to suit my needs.

Participant

Interesting question. I had to think a bit about it…

I build up my own character backgrounds, lore, and scenarios; I never use the lore (if any) provided by the miniature makers.

However, when someone asked for character stories of these miniatures on their company’s FB page, I suggested it was a good idea, or that they should at least give some hints of background. I felt that the miniatures would be more appealing to buy if they had a background (and indeed I made a KS pledge) although I knew I wouldn’t follow these stories.

Um, I’m not sure why. Probably because I felt it would give more reality to the minis – a feeling that the company really believes these new minis are alive and no mere lumps of metal. OTOH when a large company provides scores of such character stories I tend to feel the other way when it sounds too commercial to be believable.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

Lore isn’t super important as I tend to make my own anyway.

That being said, I don’t mind if there is a bit of background. I feel it’s more important if you are selling a “full package” as opposed to just selling minis.

Participant

I had started a “spotlight on…” series on the DSG blog, which is basically my take on the fluff of the DS ‘verse and the vehicles and figures therein.  But… haven’t had much of a chance to get as much down as I’d like, mostly due to lack of painting time.  Not even sure anyone has even read any of it, but it’s there for those people who ask “what game is this for” or “tell me about this XXX” if they choose to check it out.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I fought the Lore and the Lore won…

Unless it’s for a specific campaign or setting I make it up as I go along, albeit using ‘inspiration’ from multiple sources. But I go way back to White Box D & D, so it was all DIY back then.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.