Home Forums General General I have seen those people before

This topic contains 22 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Ruarigh Ruarigh 1 month ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I play 15mm skirmish and am not happy about having used some models in one encounter and not having alternatives for the next.
    By that gibberish, what I am trying to say is that I have a group of generic bandits/thugs.
    I have used them once and am reluctant to use the same models again as they have quite a distinct look about them and were I to use the same models again I would feel like they are same people somehow back from the dead.

It was never an issue with people in uniform, but for small groups of a few models, it seems that distinct clothing can be bad as it is harder to pass them off as other people.

Not such an issue with my tribesmen who are mostly naked, nor really a problem with using my same watch figures as different watchmen later on, as they wear the same uniform so would be hard to tell apart.

I think this is one of the issues that is slowing my games down, bandit attacks could (should?) be quite common, but having the same bad guys appear over and over seems wrong somehow.

What do you do?

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

I would just use them again. Maybe bandits in your world have a distinctive look. It’s not much different to low budget TV series recycling actors and clothes to save money. The game’s the thing, and it’s not really worth worrying about. If it does bug you so much that you can’t get past it, then you’d better get painting. 🙂

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

Thomaston
    Participant

Same problem with me, that’s why I always look for civilians first, they’re convertible. You might try converting some civies adding weapons. I’ve found that the more distinctive/good you make something look the worst this problem gets. It’s one of many reasons I went with smaller scales, 10mm+ and the minis start to have characters of their own.

Tired is enough.

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I know that gamers are a weird mob, but

I have used them once and am reluctant to use the same models again as they have quite a distinct look about them and were I to use the same models again I would feel like they are same people somehow back from the dead. I

That way lies madness. And possibly bankruptcy.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Don Glewwe
    Don Glewwe
    Participant

…possibly bankruptcy.

Perhaps start charging subscription/memberships in 15mm figures?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Don Glewwe Don Glewwe.

https://brawlfactory.net/

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

I am a big believer in the television rule:

Props, costumes and actors get recycled all the time in long-running old TV shows, so we shouldn’t be shy about it 🙂

You can always add a few extra guys (and gals!) here and there.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Grimheart
    Grimheart
    Participant

Think of them as twins?

Then Triplets?

Quadruplets…… and so on…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Grimheart Grimheart.

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

If they have names I can only use them as the same person, so I try to avoid thinking of names when I’m painting them, otherwise I can only use them in a different “world” or to replay the same scenario.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

Think of them as twins? Then Triplets? Quadruplets…… and so on…

Wish I’d thought of writing this first.

“You killed my (twin) sibling, now prepare to die!”

It also occurs to me that the bandits may come from a very small gene pool …

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Ruarigh Ruarigh.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

“You killed my (twin) sibling, now prepare to die!”

Inconceivable!

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I hear your pain.  I am the only person in my group who bothers to paint miniatures.  I often need civilians and my miniatures are usually made up of figures who look like Ash from Alien, or Kirk from Star Trek, or Deckard from Blade Runner.  My friends often use this to embarrass me, and make silly comments like :”Why are the Ghostbusters rescuing Rick from the Walking Dead from the Natural History Museum?”  They do it on purpose just to annoy me.  You could always use mac tac to attach colored disks to the bottom of the minis.  Red for bystanders, blue for enemies, green for bosses.

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Well, aren’t there an infinite number of parallel existences where things are just slightly different but not really? Where you are and are not the same person at the same time, earlier and later?

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

Have some much more bandit figures, and mix some of the already known ones with some new ones, and next time the other way round, etc.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    http://argad.forumculture.net/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

In a related issue, I am not a big fan of re-cycling.

Thus, I’ll paint 15×24 units of Zulus rather than re-use any “deaders” in a game.

Crazy? Like a fox! (a very crazy fox).

donald

Logain
    Participant

I tend to overbuy so that I have a few duplicates and then use green stuff to add a few beards or masks, or do head swaps with a set of heads with the same head gear. Then I use the originals as leaders and characters, and the mods as endless hordes.   What figures are your bandits of concern?

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Something worried me about this whole business from the off.

And while I wouldn’t perhaps phrase it as m’learned colleague NCS did, he has a very good point.

You play…how many games a month? On the conservative side say … 2?

How many generic (yet highly recognisable and individually charismatic) bandits appear in a game? 5? 10? 20?

Again being conservative, say 5; that’s 10 unique bandits per month – 12 months -120 figures.

I’m beginning to see a downside to the ‘advantages’ of ‘low figure count’ fantasy skirmish gaming here if I follow the original logic.

There’s a phrase used in some government departments – ‘over identification with target’.  You spend years studying what your potential opponent does – lets take oooh, completely at random, the Soviet Union, and one day someone points out the purpose of your deep, yet manly, obsessive study of Comrade General Oblimov is to make sure he dies horribly should the awful day arrive.

I think what I am saying is – they’re bandits! Their purpose is to be defeated in lurid and improbably rococo ways. You don’t want to ‘understand’ them, get to know their families, chat over dinner. Kill ’em and move on! Who cares what they look like?

You know, that seems rather callous now I’ve written it, but also strangely cathartic.

Re- use ’em, and concentrate on the good guys surviving.

Fredd Bloggs
    Participant

Use the same mob, but have 3 or 4 different leader figures, so Jo’s mob has a different boss the Fred’s etc….

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Who cares what they look like?

Me, but only cos I take images and make them into comic book style game reports.
    And whilst the actual games may be 3 months apart, when you read the ‘comics’ in one go, you will see the same figures cropping up every few pages..

I did toy with partially repainting them for their next outing, but maybe a few news ones and new leaders will add enough variety..

You play…how many games a month? On the conservative side say … 2?

I wish..

What figures are your bandits of concern?

The ones featured HERE

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Ah! That alters things.

Quick wash with the paintbrush over various bits of clothing/accessory in between shoots? Bit of green stuff here and there for a quick fix?

If lower game/shoot per annum and low number of ‘bandits’ per game then different figures. Put them down as an advertising or photo-shoot expense for the business – legit – you can’t work without them.

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

I was going to suggest a bit of light repainting for selected figures between outings, but it sounds like you’ve already thought of that.

As suggested,  some varied leader figures would help. After all, if there is a charismatic baddie, who looks at the minions?

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Logain
    Participant

For those particular figures I think I might try some sort of veil out of green stuff  for the basic grunts.

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

We use the same figures over and over again in most games without any difficulty.  Probably because we concentrate on the fun gaming part of wargaming it does not matter too much.  As always there are a few exceptions.  When we run a campaign then characters do not get recycled if killed.  Sometimes a crippled or badly injured one will disappear for a while to recover or to allow me time to convert a figure to suit the new appearance if the character is needed again.  Also several of my knights appear in several guises in different games – fully armoured, light armour, plain clothes, court dress etc and most of these are “generics” renamed for that game.

I would not worry too much if your bandits (or any other figures) were reused time and again.  We do and it does not affect the game,

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

Could you reframe what being defeated means in the rules? Instead of them being dead, you might state that being knocked out of the fight leaves the figures unconscious. It would change the narrative of the game a bit, making it more like TV series like Xena or Hercules, where the bad guys get knocked around before fleeing or being left unconscious on the field of battle, and death is a rare result. I like how .45 Adventures and Broadsword Adventures do this: heroes and sidekicks always recover after the fight, while the mooks and grunts have to be replaced. You could then have your distinctive figures as recurring villains while the generic ones get recycled anyway because they are generic. The climax of a series of games might then be the death of a recurring villain and the retirement of their figure.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.