Home Forums WWII Ice cold in Alex

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

28mm from Perry.
    While this is on a diorama base here, it comes off, because I do use this in my desert games. The Ambulance being immune to attack is able to collect depleted infantry units and return them to the field hospital were they unit gains reinforcements before redeployment.

Keymaster

Fantastic!
    I love that film.

Participant

Cool.

Participant

Ice cold. 😉

Beautifully done homage to a great film.

Participant

Stunning work – really captures those characters – I spot Otto Lutz up to his usual tricks…… !

What a movie – has to be a candidate for one of the best British War Films – and the original novel by Christopher Landon was great, too – although interestingly, the love affair was with the Harry Andrews character !

Participant

I haven’t read the book,

the movie makes claim of ‘true story’ but is it based on anything true?

Participant

Wonderful piece of work. Triggers a sudden urge to drink a cold glass of Carlsberg.

All the best,

John.

Participant

I had to dig out the old OKI5000 decal printer to do the decal for the bonnet.

I had a decal printer for making slot cars, but the print driver only works on Windows 98 – so I also had to dust off an ancient laptop so I could install ‘98

😅

Participant

I had to dig out the old OKI5000 decal printer to do the decal for the bonnet. I had a decal printer for making slot cars, but the print driver only works on Windows 98 – so I also had to dust off an ancient laptop so I could install ‘98 😅

Now that’s dedication for you ! – mustn’t forget, of course, that Katy the K2 Ambulance is just as much a character as the human ones !

John D’s video clip sums up the whole feeling of the movie – “Worth waiting for….”

As to it being a ‘true story’ – I think this was a probably bit of poetic license….. although Landon did serve in the RAMC in North Africa, so if anyone should know – he would have done…… sadly, I believe he died partly because of the ‘demon drink’……. So was likely the model for John Mill’s character of Captain Anson…..

Participant

Does the book make claim of true story or only the movie?

Participant

My copy of the book has long since moved on to the charity shop, I’m afraid, but my recollection was that it said it was ‘based’ on a true story…..

I can certainly believe RAMC / RASC types escaping the initial Tobruk encirclement and haring back Alexandria-bound across the desert, but can’t imagine there were any (spoiler alert) German spies on board, nor nurses as attractive as Silvia Syms, either !

To be fair, we have to credit the film’s director, J Lee Thompson with his contribution to the screenplay alongside Landon…..

Participant

I like this film. Haven’t seen it in ages. That model is brilliant. My dad brought us up with a healthy love of the war films of the 50s to 70s. I think Dunkirk (1958) is my all time favourite, with Where Eagles Dare being a close second.

Participant

It is based on a true story (or at least an actual anecdote) but I imagine the details in the film and the novel are wildly different from what actually happened.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

Started watching this last night, got about halfway through.  For some reason I have always thought that the “I’m squinting at night because it’s just a filter for daytime filming” thing is endearing.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

A very good diorama of one of my favourite war films.

I remember coming home on R&R from Iraq and being asked by an amateur artist friend what colour to paint the sand in her picture.  I said “grey” just like in the film “Ice Cold in Alice”.  A few days later she called (laughing) to say she had watched the film.  “Grey, indeed,” she said, “it’s a black and white film!”

So should the diorama not have been done in greyscale to match the original?  ;0)

Participant

Participant

Excellent

Participant

I want buy another one now and have them pushing it up the slope 🤔

Participant

Superb work.

Keymaster

I want buy another one now and have them pushing it up the slope 🤔

yus

Participant

I want buy another one now and have them pushing it up the slope

That would be a lot of fun, especially modeling the foot prints and tire tracks in the deep sand.  Would love to see that, maybe a WIP thread as well.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Keymaster

At first I was wondering why you had posted some stills from the film….   then it hit me.

yowzers

Participant

Excellent modelling, I now want a cold Carlsberg.

Participant

I put the model on my windowsill to get the blue sky 😅.  No photoshop here

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.