Home Forums General General If You Were Starting a Range of Figures…

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    John D SaltJohn D Salt
    Participant

Just a question, not loaded, no snobbery intended: why the fascination with ranges made in plastic?

I can really see the benefit (price, weight) of 28mm plastics, but 15mm those benefits wouldn’t be quite so noticeable. Plus of course it also opens the whole can of worms that is ‘what is 15mm’ (to top of head, to eye, heroic 18mm to eye etc etc)

I use 1/72nd (mostly soft) plastics out of sheer habit and because they are cheap. There are other obvious advantages, though. I like wargames armies I can lift without straining myself, and that can be dropped with little fear of damage. The best figures (late Airfix, Pegasus Hobbies, Zvezda) have an unrivalled quality of sculpting, and are not difficult to convert. I am also one of those odd fish who has never found beauty in the squat and macrocephalic physiques that have become traditional among metal figures; I want my little people to look like people, not goblins.

Of course if people wish to quibble about how long 15mm is, I shall be happy to have 1/72nd figures pantographed down to 1/144th, matching an existing aircraft scale and corresponding to 12.5mm if 1/72nd is 25mm. Conversions might be a bit fiddly, but as we are indulging our fantasies, no conversions will be needed becase the range will include all the figures and heavy weapons I want (I’m thinking a 1/144th sPzB41 on the airborne mounting would need some quite fine work).

All the best,

John.

Ivan SorensenIvan Sorensen
    Participant

Good call on durability 🙂

When I was younger and went to 40K tournaments, having plastic figures was a blessing.

My box that I carried my space wolf army in once got knocked down.

Figures all over the floor, being 99% plastic, not a single thing broke and nothing got chipped or scratched.

I suppose some of the swords could have snapped, so I still got lucky.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

chris cornwell
    Participant

If money were no object?

Well, it’d just be be getting you Daryl to paint an awful lot of AB WWII figures for me! 

Rob youngRob young
    Participant

Wouldn’t be starting, just extending the 20mm Garrison Ancients ranges using professional sculptors to produce all the figures that were advertised in their 1972 lists  (but never produced) plus all the other figures I feel they ‘should’ have done. I’m doing my best but well aware of my limitations!

Rob Young

warwellwarwell
    Participant

Right now I’m hankering for some 10mm retro sci-fi figures akin to Hydra Minis range

http://shop.hydraminiatures.com/index.php?cPath=2_32

Would Hinds have access to the old Heritage Napoleonettes moulds as they sell Hincliffe ?

if I was going to start a range of figures it would be to get Hotspur Napoleonic’s back in action (with new sculps)

MartinRMartinR
    Participant

Money is no object? Self painting figures, or at least, self painting horses.

I don’t mind painting tanks and artillery.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Howard WhitehouseHoward Whitehouse
    Participant

Since I’ve been putting a lot of effort into converting almost any 42mm figure that shows potential into 1900 era Moroccans, using more green stuff than I have used in  my life, I’m going to wish for those. Heck, 42mm colonials in much greater variety.

I do all my own stunts.

John D SaltJohn D Salt
    Participant

Just a question, not loaded, no snobbery intended: why the fascination with ranges made in plastic?

Plastic figures are cheaper, lighter, easier to convert, and the ones I have in mind are proportioned like humans instead of dwarves. I would ask “why metal?”. It seems to me that the economics of centrifugal casting against injection moulding make it the only feasible choice for small production runs, but that’s the only advantage I see.

I can really see the benefit (price, weight) of 28mm plastics, but 15mm those benefits wouldn’t be quite so noticeable. Plus of course it also opens the whole can of worms that is ‘what is 15mm’ (to top of head, to eye, heroic 18mm to eye etc etc)

All the 28mm plastics I have seen suffer from the same pumpkin-head prop look as metals, but then I consider 28mm a silly idea in its entirety. And I have never understood why anyone ever decided to insert wrigglies into the tin of “measuring height to the eye”. There is a very long tradition of measuring the height of things by taking the distance from their lowest point to their highest point, other than horses. Whoever decided that toy soldiers’ eyes should be treated in the same way as horses’ withers must have been in the grip of some very powerful mind-altering drugs that day. Still, 28mm to the eye probably means a 30mm figure, which is at least a traditional wargaming scale.

All the best,

John.

irishserbirishserb
    Participant

Probably a lot of things, but I’d likely start with 15mm Cold War infantry for the 1970s; US in OG107 uniforms with M14  as well as M16 and various heavy weapons appropriate for both; and then 15mm French infantry pre-FAMAS with M1956 and F1 helmets and MAS49/56, MAT49, etc.

Howard WhitehouseHoward Whitehouse
    Participant

Still, 28mm to the eye probably means a 30mm figure, which is at least a traditional wargaming scale. All the best, John.

These comments brought to you by a retired colonel, aged 127, living in Tunbridge Wells. am I right? 🙂

I do all my own stunts.

Not Connard SageNot Connard Sage
    Participant

If I were starting a range of wargaming figures I’d work from an absolute scale not a size.

They wouldn’t sell, but I’d derive immense satisfaction from the screams of horror/derision/whatever as wargamers everywhere discovered what ‘scale’ means.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Guy FarrishGuy Farrish
    Participant

Of course to some extent it depends on the size of your master figure how things scale down

Mastermodel

Not Connard SageNot Connard Sage
    Participant

I find that many wargamers are more concerned with length rather than girth 😉

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

John D SaltJohn D Salt
    Participant

These comments brought to you by a retired colonel, aged 127, living in Tunbridge Wells. am I right? 🙂

Completely and perfectly right in all important respects, and inaccurate only in a few insignifcant details such as employment status, location of residence, age, and rank (unless you count former civil service equivalent rank).

I wish I could afford to retire and live in Tunbridge Wells…

All the best,

John.

Shahbahraz
    Participant

Tunbridge is a bit bland..  I recommend Arbroath, have a look at the houses on Monkbarns Drive, elevated Victorian stone, sea views, huge, and dirt cheap. Best fish restaurant at Auchmithie, and a great wargames club including Charles Grant (Jnr) just 15 miles up the road at Kirriemuir.

Now the first person to organise a wargames nursing home has it made…

--An occasional wargames blog: http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/ --

Shahbahraz
    Participant

We’re going to need a bigger parachute?

--An occasional wargames blog: http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/ --

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.