Home Forums Ancients Imperial Roman Army finally finished (6 month long project)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Imperial Roman Army finally finished! I bought these in November.

Going from left to right we have medium and heavy cavalry alas, a mixed bag of auxilia cohorts (ranging from light to heavy and including some light archers), two legions with attached artillery slingers, cavalry and javelin-armed scouts, and an allied force of archers, light infantry, medium infantry and heavy infantry. Ranging in front of them is an ala of Numidian light horse. Finally, in reserve, we have three cohort milaria of auxilia infantry, ready to run to wherever they are needed.

All figures are 3mm Oddizial Osmy. The table is roughly one meter by fifty centimeters and the figures are laid out for Hail Caesar.

To actually play Hail Caesar with all of these figures, I figure I’d need at least a four foot by three foot table.

This was started in November and I am a glacially slow painter.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

The center of the line, with the two legions and the three reserve auxilia cohorts…

Participant

Fantastic!

That looks like what I imagine a Roman Army to have looked like.
    Now you just need a barbarian horde about three times as big to grind to a pulp!

Oh wait! I seem to remember a Gaulish/German mob lurking in the wings – time for a battle report I think!

Participant

Looking good…. that’s an awful lot of Units for Hail Caesar – are you planning on splitting them in two with your opponent and doing civil wars? I have always Found the best enemy for Romans is other Romans 🙂

Participant

That looks really nice and photographs well.

Participant

Very nice work and really looks like and army.

Participant

Nice. It looks like an army rather than a collection of figures.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Yes, it can be divided into two Roman armies, SM. I have another order of Romans stuck in Portugal until god knows when which will allow me to make some Praetorian cohorts and some more cavalry.

There are a huge number of barbarians ready for final basing, Guy, and even more waiting for paint.

These are all based so they can be used for Hail Caesar, To the Strongest, Triumph, Neil Thomas and DBA. They can even be used to play a micro DBA game on a one foot square board. I plan on making a travel DBA kit that will fit in a lunchbox.

The problem with 3mm is that you can build bloody HUGE armies.

Hopefully, I’ll get time to have a battle in the upcoming weeks. Right now, I am doing a lot of translation work.

Participant

Participant

Wowzer.

Participant

So there are the barbarian hordes mustering. The ones closest to the camera only have base coats and ink on them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.