Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi In memory of Jim Clark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Further to my recent post with a new unit – Clark’s Commandos – I now post my restoration work on one of Jim’s forces: the Hiroseki Army.

Jim passed away earlier on this year and I wanted to get some of his toys back on the table.

Jim playing with the Hiroseki

Restoration complete

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Participant

That is a good looking force.  Amazing that despite the “1 maker supplies the whole faction” design appearance there is so much variety in that line.  I really like them.

I find it interesting that a blower force would have a defense specialty.  I would figure tracks would be much better suited to such a doctrine, and blowers would be better at mobile doctrines?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

The multistory buildings in the first photo. Are they 12mm?

Participant

I have a couple of them.  IIRC they are ‘N’ gauge buildings.  Somewhere between 1:148 and 1:160 scale.  They work pretty well for 15mm unless you stand single figures right up against them.  Some pretty cool designs, but not enough designs to fill a whole town.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I find it interesting that a blower force would have a defense specialty. I would figure tracks would be much better suited to such a doctrine, and blowers would be better at mobile doctrines?

The rationale for that is straightforward: The Hiroseki are a National Army and – presumably – have officers and commanders (right up to generals) coming out of the wazoo. They are brave, though only trained with limited experience (hence classed as ‘Fanatics’) however Major Okuninushi’s personal elite skill is Defensive Stalwart: he is simply a cautious man. There’s no reason that another commander (above or below his rank – or even as an alternative) couldn’t have all sorts of Elite skills, picked and points costed from the Optional Rules or Elite Skills list which can be calculated using the table in Supplement 5 (starting on page 6).

No, I wouldn’t go too bonkers and Major Okuninushi is a good starting position, but it all adds tothe fun of a scenario.

As to the blower/tracked, well technically they’re ACVs rather than hard skirted blowes but I take your point: not ideal in defence but – as Slammers stories detail (and yes the Slammers are blowers but bear with me) – for example “The Warrior” – when pressed, Slammers will stay in position and use their AI driven tribarrels for anti-artillery work all day long: the Shamans and Soheis could do that work with their heavy lasers very well indeed!

On the second point, the multi-story buildings in that game are Kato (the plastics) and 4Ground (the colourful MDF ones, including the tall, mirror windowed HQ building) and all in about N guage/12mm. All of the others are Hornby (the Sewage works); Kato (the monorail station, up on Lego blocks with scratch built track on Ainsty pillars); Brigade (low lying buildings), converted Britains pig pens (the silver sheds) and scratch built (low brown building from a desk draw tidy and greenhouses from bulkhead lights) all with doors added from GZG/Brigade/etc.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.