Home Forums WWI In the Trenches

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Erik Walton 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Erik Walton
    Participant

Has anyone given “In The Trenches” a spin? I’ve been playing this off and on lately, although they have predominantly beed been solo games because no one else around me seems all that interested in the period (or the stacks of tiny counters).

Board Game Geek Page: In The Trenches

I’ve really enjoyed it so far because it feels very different from a WWII game (as it should!). It’s hex and counter rather than miniatures, but the game would lend itself really well to miniatures if you chose to do so.

Oh that's my theme music, it's on now!

Ken Warren
    Ken Warren
    Participant

Hi Erik! I have In the Trenches: Devil Dogs. I’ve played the first scenario and enjoyed the game. I like the idea of WWI gaming and I’m enjoying learning more about it. Do you have any of the other games in the series?

What about other Tiny Battle Publishing games? I have Invaders from Dimension X, Neuschwabeland, and Sticks & Stones. All are pretty good, IMO. My favorite is probably Neuschwabeland (Germans & Aliens in Antarctica?!?! Awesome!).

Erik Walton
    Participant

Oh my gosh Neuschwabenland yes! I love that one. I was even able to get my 5-year old to play a few games with me (there’s even a picture of him playing on TBP’s facebook page). I talked some of my board game club kids into trying out Dough Boys, but they really didn’t like the stacking and non-descriptness of the counters…they’re younger so I’ll forgive them.

I started with Dough Boys for In the Trenches and absolutely loved the scenarios, especially the first one (the second one is fun, but not great solo). Finally broke down and ordered Devil Dogs and Goup de Grace, but haven’t tried either yet. The map for the latter is much larger than the others, and for some odd reason includes a foot soldier from the Shields and Swords series. Regardless, I too want to get more playtime with these but WWI is such a niche, and then combine that with…what is this, operational?…and it’s really tricky to find an opponent.

I haven’t gotten Invaders from Dimension X yet, mainly because the counters kind of bug me (pun not intended). I do have Sticks and Stones and a playtest copy of Platoon Commander from when I was a playtester. I also have that some of the Shields and Swords games as PnP and that Bayou one…just so many games!! I’d like to get the new tank one because it reminds me of Car Wars, but I’m having a hard time justifying getting another game from them just yet.

Ken Warren
    Ken Warren
    Participant

Thanks for the info! I haven’t purchased any of the other In The Trenches series (yet), but would certainly like to in the future. I did pick up Night of Man and have had some fun times playing that. I’m also interested in High Speed Hover Tank, but haven’t bought that one yet either.

How’s the Bayou game? Too many games, too little time & money.

Erik Walton
    Participant

Night of Man is a lot of fun, but there have been a few things that have cropped up that the rules didn’t really cover. Love the heft of those tokens though. I actually have Old School Tactical and the night-of-Man-in-Vietnam on the way too, so I’m looking forward to maybe cross-utilizing the components.

We actually haven’t tried the Bayou game yet because of similar reasons. I keep pulling it out with every intent of trying it, but then I just go “eh” and go to something else. The combat mechanics are fairly interesting: everyone involved in the combat contributes a certain type and number of colored chits into a blind pool and you resolve the combat by drawing these chits out one at a time.

Next purchase from them will probably have High Speed Hover Tank and the new In the Trenches expansion with the Japanese. We may need to see if there’s a Vassal module and try to get a game in sometime!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.