Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Indigo does not fade

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Indigo is (relatively) light-fast and insoluable.  It does not lose intensity, but soils and wears – athough not particularly noticably on gray wool (as opposed to white cotton jeans).  I don’t fancy myself as an expert, but this information is easily gleaned from the web.

janner
    Participant

Interesting, but your post seems to be a replay – to what though?

http://jannersjaunt.blogspot.dk

John D Salt
    Participant

I’ve no idea what this is about, but “Indigo Does Not Fade” sounds like a great name for a ballad, a novel, a film, or a set of wargames rules.

All the best,

John.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

How fast a dye is, or isn’t, generally relies somewhat on the mordant. Although indigo, if properly prepared, is self-fixing.

And we know how suppliers to the military like to maximise their profits

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

I’ve no idea what this is about, but “Indigo Does Not Fade” sounds like a great name for a ballad, a novel, a film, or a set of wargames rules.
    All the best,
    John.

Sounds like a right bodice-ripper.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

John D Salt
    Participant

Sounds like a right bodice-ripper.

Bodice-ripping wargame rules — ISAGN.

A university flat-mate of mine, now an author of military history and a considerable expert on pre-war espionage in the Baltics, but then working as a presenter at Plymouth Sound radio, told me of a sound engineer cow-orker of his who earned additional income as an author of Mills & Boon romances, under some pseudonym such as Fiona Badminton. Although I never checked, I gained the impression that Mills & Boon publications were colour-coded for spiciness, using a scale very similar to Mr. Sharwood’s colour-coded scale for the spiciness of his curry-powders and associated tracklements.

I suggest a similar scale be adopted if and when a market in bodice-ripping wargame rules is established.

All the best,

John.

grizzlymc
    Participant

Can we have a new board for Bodice Ripping Wargames please?

Now, although I am a 1:300 afficionado, I think we should look at 54mm or perhaps 90mm.  1/6 might be a bit over the top.

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

My work here is done.

grizzlymc
    Participant

I think it is actually the French Sharpe.

A light infantryman travels the Peninsular doing heroic deeds.  He an his men get increasingly more ragged, but the dark blue uniform remains the same colour (or as we say in Aus, True Blue) the byword amongst his men is “indigo ne se fane pas”

There I can have bodice ripping, great uniforms, derring do, and a great title.

By the way, yes it is hard to make indigo fade, but my understanding is that amoniac sweat can make it go purple and with much wear (I know not if it is sun or washing) it loses its colour saturation and goes gradually greyer, but not much lighter.

janner
    Participant

Okay, so I’ve now found the original thread that this was posted in response to – it is on a different forum!

Please, if you want to continue conversations here that start elsewhere, then at least provide a context.

Mike
    Keymaster

Is it this one?

LINK

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Mike. Reason: added a link
    janner
    Participant

i think so, Mike.

Mike
    Keymaster

For those who are not aware, it is fine to link to other sites.
    TWW is about community and helping fellow gamers, if that means to answer a question posed here, you need to link elsewhere please do so.

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Sorry Janner, I thought you were asking with tongue in cheek .  My posts are often replies to TMP threads in the hopes that the more alert will find this site and enlightenment .  I really don’t care to offer free content to TMP.

JG

General Slade
    Participant

I  am really unhappy about what you are doing here Jonathan.    If you want to take part in a debate on TMP then do it on TMP.  If you are going to post here then try to do it without making snide remarks about people who post over there.  The reason this site was set up was so that we didn’t have to deal with that kind of crap. You are doing it in two threads now. Don’t drag your agenda over here.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I can be bluer than blue…

janner
    Participant

I’m easy, but a link or summary would be appreciated going forward 

grizzlymc
    Participant

But what about a bodice ripping board?

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by grizzlymc.
    Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Stephen,

I’d like to avoid snide as it’s corrosive.  But I think I’ve been straight up about my disappointment with Warlord Games’ Ch. à Ch. write-up and my disgust with Kiley’s Amazon review.  Both of those are hobby, not TMP, issues.

Okay, “indigo fading” is a TMP issue, but I’m not naming names! 

JG

General Slade
    Participant

No Jonathan, they are not ‘hobby’ issues.  In the way you have couched them they are all TMP issues. You launched the thread about the Warlord painting guide to mock Sparker for posting a link to it on TMP, your comments on Kevin Kiley aren’t about his Amazon review they are about his participation in a discussion thread on TMP and  this ‘indigo’ thread is a response to what you presumably regard as misinformation posted on TMP.

TWW isn’t an adjunct of TMP; it is a separate site.  So why not start a discussion about something that isn’t on TMP?

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Stephen,

Did I target Sparker?  Yes I did.  Does that make my post about the misinformation in his link irrelevant to the hobby? No it does not.

Let’s leave this thread to the chemical nature of indigo.  And bodice-rippping.

JG

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Actually the active ingredient in woad is chemically identical to indigo.  There is just a lot less of it, so you cannot use woad to get the deepest, darkest tones of indigo.  But less saturated colors are indistinguishable.

grizzlymc
    Participant

So, you could use woad for Bavarians or bodices, but Chaps dark blue jackets have to be indigo?

What happens if you use less water with your woad?

paintpig
    Participant

So, you could use woad for Bavarians or bodices, but Chaps dark blue jackets have to be indigo? What happens if you use less water with your woad?

It doesn’t go as far….. some bodices will have to miss out. I dont think it works like adding sugar to water ie less water sweeter drink, dyes have level of intensity not to be confused with lighter/darker such as adding white to paint fer’rinstance

…an for what it is worth, Gen’l Sade I agree with your comment, well put sir. We’ve all had our fill in one way or t’other with the other place I do not care for any overlap.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

grizzlymc
    Participant

OMG!

So, woad is the secret ingredient in striped paint!!!!!!!!!!

EU BLOODY REKA!!!!!!!!

With striped paint we can easily go to check paint, then to tartan paint and finally to uniform paint.  Line up your unit, grenadiers on the right, light company on the left, two swipes of the brush – front and back and wait to dry.  I can stop wasting time painting and just play with toy soldiers
    !!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.