Home Forums Ancients Infamy! Infamy!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve just pre-ordered a copy of Richard Clarke’s new Ancient rules – “Infamy/Infamy”.

Certainly look an interesting set of large skirmish rules with a very fine cover picture! Nice to see the Roman “shield boss” being used to good effect!

Have a look over on the Too Fat Lardies blog for more info.

DB

Participant

Pre ordered as soon as I got the notification. Big fan of lardie rules and been following the developments closely.

really looking forward to playing this after lockdown.

Keymaster

Pre ordered as soon as I got the notification.

Where was that, I follow their FB page but have not seen anything about it?

Participant

Here’s a link to their blog:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/

Participant

Oddly, I have not played a single TFL Game, but someone at my club is frothing about them, If we ever meet again I will certainly give them a go

Participant

M,

There’s a distinct Infamy/Infamy FB page/group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1682898815191209/

DB

Participant

@Mike it was on their FB feed yesterday. That’s one of the problems with FB, some really popular posts seem to get hidden from some people for no reason.

Keymaster

@Mike it was on their FB feed yesterday. That’s one of the problems with FB, some really popular posts seem to get hidden from some people for no reason.

Money, a lot of my FB page posts don’t even reach a quarter of my page followers, but a ‘good’ post will prompt an advert from FB asking me to pay to make it reach an extra 1000 people or so, which is still less than my page followers.
    They slow them to charge for boosting them.

Keymaster

I still can’t see it on their FB timeline, is it definitely on their page and not in their group?

Participant

I’m not sure as I’m in a huge number of wargaming groups including lardies and can’t find it with a fb search ( but that’s not unusual).

Keymaster

I think maybe it was in a group not on their page, prolly explains why I missed it.

Participant

I was lucky enough to get a demo game before the apocalypse at Crusade in Penarth.

Really enjoyable! I could pick it up and play along easily enough since I’ve played other Lardy games but new things such as the Infamy deck and the Sigma (flag) cards being available from the start felt like there’s definitely something new here. Having your Sigma cards up front means you can make some decisions about what you want to happen in the battle and have a good chance of getting yourself in position or getting that early advantage without relying on a purely random draw of the cards.

I had put my Romans on hold since a box fell on them and squashed them (scooped into a box and not reopened!) but I’ve got my act together now so I’m really looking forward to it.

Participant

Cool. Can’t wait for the book to arrive in the mail, it seems like a bridge between big games and small. I hate (I know hate is a strong word) Romans, but maybe I will re-base mine (I hate them so much).

JJonas Art

Participant

they are eminently hateable Jeff. Luckily I will not need to rebase my dusty WAB Marians, the hateful fellows.

what were yours based for?

Participant

I have my pre-order in also.  This is my first TFL game that will come in book form, not just PDF.  Potential customers in the US might want to get their money in now as I believe Rich intends to ship those out by Saturday to completely avoid the imminent rise in postal rates.

Participant

Anyone considering doing this in 15mm?

Participant

Not my period, but must say I love that cover!

Participant

I have my pre-order in also. This is my first TFL game that will come in book form, not just PDF. Potential customers in the US might want to get their money in now as I believe Rich intends to ship those out by Saturday to completely avoid the imminent rise in postal rates.

Orders placed on Sunday and after will be charged the new rates.

Participant

they are eminently hateable Jeff. Luckily I will not need to rebase my dusty WAB Marians, the hateful fellows. what were yours based for?

My “hated” Romans are all based on 20mm squares. Some are my own paint jobs , some were picked up a long time ago from Dragon Studios in China. They were used to play test Romans against Pontics for the long ago shipwrecked WAB Successors lists.

I actually do not need to rebase (if I decide to be brave and stick to square heresy)- however the bases and magnets on the DS ones are poor and wobbly. So rounds? or more more squares? Also I have found that putting steel rubber bottoms (or use the 19mm fender washers) on the figures is better because the magnetism fades. Magnet sabots last much longer- at least until the next rules system comes along. Looks like I will be needing some 100mm wide bases for infantry. I cant find how cavalry and skirmishers are based, I need to scour further.

Oh and my Roman collection is hidden here (in plain sight). I’ve mostly painted Foundry and Companion 28’s and the old Wargames Factory plastics. I need some new cause to update these old pages and decrepit photos:

http://www.ancientbattles.com/Rome/Romans_AncientBattles.html

Take it easy

JJonas Art

Participant

Really looking forward to receiving my copy of “Infamy, Infamy!” My Romans and various enemies are almost painted as are others in my group who are also excited!

So my “Enemies of Rome” are going to be Dacians and Gauls. What has everybody else got or planning?

Participant

@agent pumpkin Brits because of chariots and fanatics

Participant

Anyone considering doing this in 15mm?

Yes I am considering it. THinking maybe QRF for the figures but there are so many other things I’ve started that I feel I should finish before starting another project!

https://nottherivercottage.blogspot.com/

Participant

What I like about these rules is that they aren’t for masses battles. They represent large skirmishes, like most TFL games, and are perfect for scenarios where your leaders, or ‘big men’ take a few units off on a mission.

Giving the leaders names is always a good idea and you can watch their personalities develop thanks to the vagaries of the dice.

Having been lucky enough to have got a few games in already, they are my favourite iteration of the Lardy rules engine. The barbarians play very differently to the Romans, and use a very clever modification to the usual Shock mechanism, called Fervour, which can be a double edged sword…

Looking forward to my book arriving next week.

Keymaster

Would it work for Slaine style games?

Participant

@agent pumpkin Brits because of chariots and fanatics

Brits were tempting, but I played them in 15mm DBA years ago and never had much luck with them!

Participant

Thats interesting. It might. It will certainly handle Gauls vs Germans, for example. Barbarians types ideally need to get frothed up before releasing them.

What defines a Slaine type game for you?

Participant

I have been looking at Forged in Battle. I really like their WW2 minis and they have a pretty comprehensive range. I have not checked out QRF but I have some of their WW2 as well.

Keymaster

Thats interesting. It might. It will certainly handle Gauls vs Germans, for example. Barbarians types ideally need to get frothed up before releasing them.

What defines a Slaine type game for you?

Thinking about it, it’s prolly too far off.
    Small units of mad celt types vs others.
    Big heros.

But then magic and stuff that would require house rules, and prolly too much effort.
    NM, ignore my ramblings.

Participant

Mike.

Take a look at the videos on youtube that Rich has done. You might see a way of modding the game that suits you.

I think the card drivern mechanics should allow you to use special abilities/magic?

Participant

M,

Just off the top of my head, after watching Richard’s video’s – you could let a “Signa card” permit magic?

The more signa cards you acquire the more powerful magic you can employ?

DB

Participant

I wasn’t going to get this because I have Mortal Gods, Clash of Spears on order, and plenty of other stalled projects I should be getting on with. Then the more I read about it the more I thought about it – and the huge number of suitable Romans etc living in my lead pile – I decided to pre-order. Quite excited now, I really like very specific rules for very specific periods these days, and this sounds exactly what I’m after – Micro Periods rather than sweeping general rules for millenia.

Participant

I am waiting for the supplement packs, Celts and Germans vs rome is not my bag.

Participant

I’m quite interested in Infamy, Infamy as well, although I have to agree with Albert.  Imperial Rome doesn’t interest me.  The Punic Wars, or Mithradates or the Successors…now we’re talking about something I’d get behind!  I shall continue painting up my Magna Graecia armies and wait patiently for a supplement.

I have Clash of Spears, played it several times (would have been a lot more, but Covid…) , and it’s also a really good game, and doesn’t try to cover millennia either.   Highly recommended from me!

Obviously haven’t played the TFL rules yet, but I’m quite confident that it will also be very good.  I certainly don’t mind having two sets of rules for a period that I enjoy in different ways.  Variety is the spice of life!

The only bad thing I can say about Infamy, Infamy is that there is no easy acronym.  What do we refer to it as?  II?  I,I?  InIn?  Considering the rules came from TFL, home of such gems as Chain of Command and the legendary one that makes my eight year old nephew giggle uncontrollably, Troops, Weapons and Tactics, I am quite startled by the appalling lack of forethought in naming it.

Participant

M, Just off the top of my head, after watching Richard’s video’s – you could let a “Signa card” permit magic? The more signa cards you acquire the more powerful magic you can employ? DB

That is a reasonable idea, to start with at least.

Participant

Or you use a number of Signa cards to power predefined magical abilities. So Romans have “Shields Raised” to reduce missile damage right? Slaine Celts could use woading or wind power or whatever to get the same effect, spending the same number Signa as “Shields Raised” would cost to use it.

I think it wouldn’t break the game, but it would add a magical feel to it.

Also for Heroes they would get specific “Infamy” cards that can be magical effects instead of the normal Roman/Barbarian ones.

Participant

The only bad thing I can say about Infamy, Infamy is that there is no easy acronym. What do we refer to it as? II? I,I? InIn? *snipped*

I2?

Participant

I’m calling it snip snip

just reading the pdf now and it looks to be as good as expected.

its given me the nudge needed to get back to my 28mm Celt force.

Participant

You actually made me LOL Fairoaks!

Participant

Participant

My PDF turned up yesterday and now reading through. Just need to decide who I want to use for figures. A bit of coin toss between Warlord and Victrix.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.