Home Forums Modern Introduction game of NEIS

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen 5 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

My wargaming buddy came around tonight, so I decided to play an introduction game of NEIS for him.

He graciously allowed me to play the Aussies, whilst he took the North Koreans.  As I only had one squad + HQ of NK painted up, I decided to take only one section plus HQ for the Aussies.

I randomly placed some scenery on the table, then promptly rearranged it all to get rid of the massive open fire zones I had created.

The Aussies were placed on the table, and the NK had six blinds to represent the three elements (2 fire teams and 1 HQ) hidden in the town.

End result: One Aussie fire-team was pinned with two wounded, including my Section Commander. The HQ move closer to them so the Platoon Commander could be of use to rally the fire team, but was exhausted before being able to do too much, made worse by the fact the NK team that caused the damage was lucky with its activation rolls and could pour more fire in to the already hurting Aussies.

Unfortunately we ran out of time and couldn’t play the game out fully, but my Mate enjoyed the rules a lot and a great time was had by all.

I will be re-play the game with a FULL PLATOON, and I certainly wont be dividing my sections in to fire-teams again. As Ivan said in another thread – this is a PLATOON game and should be played as such.

I have a good few weeks before I can play with my Mate again, so I will have all the figures painted up by that time, and it will also give me time to make a lot more scenery.

Here is a photo of where the game finished: the Aussies are to the bottom of the photo, and North Koreans to the top.  The dice are the blinds, and as you can see only one lot of NK were revealed during the game:

I did point out that I have the most important weapon on the table – the HQ signaller. He can call in mortar fire. Take that you commies! Too bad the game ended before I had the opportunity to do so.

NEIS is a fun game and very easy to teach others how to play. The game I played tonight only spurred me on even more to paint up all my figures and play the campaign I have planned.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool thanks for posting !!

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Thanks Shelldrake. It is a fun game – very intuitive rules. Looking forward to more.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Did you make the terrain yourself? It looks a lot like the stuff that gamecraft miniatures sells. I love the foam stuff. Super easy to work with.

Glad he liked it. Any questions or concerns?  Looks like the final terrain setup is pretty solid. Open enough to make life hard but not too clear firelanes. You CAN run a game with a clear firelane (like a street) running the length but it’ll basically divide your game into two concurrent fire fights.

On the topic of blinds, a while back I toyed with the idea of making round bases with 3 or 4 generic riflemen painted grey as “blind” markers. You could make them separately for each nationality you have or just find something that looks reasonably “generic soldier”.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

Thanks for the comments guys.

The trees I found on ebay and made the bases for, the ‘grass clumps’ are aquarium plants and the buildings I made over a decade ago for a colonial campaign, with the exception of the foam building, which I made about 2 – 3 months ago as a trial.

All the vegetation was made for 28mm games, so I have ordered slightly smaller trees to bring the size down a bit.

If I had played with a whole platoon I might have kept the fire-lane in the middle, but with only a section we both agreed that only an idiot would prevent half of the section being able to support the other if needed.

I made the mistake of putting the taller buildings on one side – the opposite side to where I was coming on, and paid for it.

Fences and Hedges (no, not a cigarette brand!)  will be made for this game, as will other line of sight blocking items.

I like the idea of using greyed out soldiers for blinds. I will certainly give that a go at a later date.

Just Jack
    Participant

Shelldrake,

Thanks for sharing the batrep, good stuff.  I really like the trees, they didn’t look too big to me.

You mentioned not being able to play again for awhile as your friend isn’t available; do what us friendless guys do, play solo! 😉

I look forward to your next fight.

V/R,
    Jack

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

You mentioned not being able to play again for awhile as your friend isn’t available; do what us friendless guys do, play solo!  ;)

I certainly will be, in fact the replay will be a solo game.  Two of the reasons I purchased the rules was it’s ability to play solo games, and campaign games. With out these, I might not have bought them.

Its the reason I bought it too.

I’m hoping to get a Vietnam game in next week so I am just finishing my jungle terrain off and my new board.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I got NEIS cause of Just Jack’s AAR for Five Men in Normandy games. I just have modern figures , I got for Ambush Alley but never got to game with.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Good stuff Sheldrake! Thanks for sharing. I’m really keen to see how other people progress with this game. I really like what I’ve played so far and can see running a type of narrative campaign based on it. I like seeing how it plays in different theatres. Quite drawn to the idea of 15mm as well – damn!

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I play in 15mm mostly, Jack has very persuasive arguments about 10mm and I think the gentleman doing the IRA game did 6mm so it’s all over the place 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

I was that 6mm gentleman (but its supposed to be a stop gap only)

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

So I’m not good with the name thing 😀

I’ve done 6mm skirmishing though you do have to mark the bases in some way to be able to tell who is who.

Nordic Weasel Games

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.