Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Introduction to the Elenthnar

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there, TWW scifi section! Settle in, this will be a long one!

I will be starting to post my Aotrs Shipyards releases on TWW fairly soon. Now, the thing is for me for my scifi releases is that Stewart Cowley’s Spacecraft 2000-2100AD – a book about the same age as me – burned straight deeply into my hindbrain as a child. For those of you unfamilar, it is essentially an atomic-sfi-f artbook stled like a Jane’s Guide to starships, as if written by some latter day scholar. That was such a strong effect, that it has forever coloured how I write anything – all the fluff for all my roleplaying games worlds over the decades has been written in the same, sort-of-in-character tone.

I spent many hours drawing fighters and making write-ups for them (I actually, because I am one of THOSE still have the majority of them stored away)… In many senses, I have never stopped making starships and writing about them, it’s just the medium has moved from LEGO and drawings to 3D models.

So, anyway, wherever I release something, there will always be a write-up attached. (As always with all these things, this can be completely ignored by everyone as they choose – I am firmly against the idea that models should be beholden to their fluff and only for a specific game. )

It should also be noted in passing that, while the starship and ground vehicles are informed by the game stats in Accelerate & Attack (my own starship rules) and Manouvre Group (which I use for ground combat), I always hold the opinion that any set of rules, wargames or otherwise, are an imperfect simulation of the real world and so allow myself plenty of narrative latitude for stuff that a game doesn’t bother to model. Essentially, I consider the fluff to be “real” and the mechanics an abstraction of that reality.

Now, given that what this fluff is is basically what I port out of my own universe that has dynamically evolved over the last… Oh, probably 35 years, there is often some context which cannot quite fit into the detail for a given vehicle. As I have used TMP for several years as my main haunting ground, this has placed said context for the upcoming stuff not really in a sensible place. So, as I’m coming to a fresh board, this seems like a good opportune time before I start putting actual releases up to kill two birds with one stone and get the overall blurb up and out both here and on Facebook! For the newer fleets, I have worked such that they could essentially be plomped into whatever anyone’s genera is as something on fringes (or well beyond!) human space.

One of the major problems I have had with alien races is that they are often that monocultures – even my own! I finally wanted to make an alien race that was as messy and diverse as humans. It also afforded me the chance to make a whole new set of warring adversaries, packaged up in a neat way so that they can easily be used by anyone that likes the idea of it adding to their own games and universes. I initially considered this with the Jalyrkieons, a race of carnivorous telekinetic tetracorns, but their technology as created was so atypical that I decided that it would not be a good base to work from.

So this brings us to the elenthnars. The elenthnars are designed to basically be Humans But Not Human. I.e., they have ALL the traits sci-fi normally gives to humans – the factionalism (as opposed to a monoculture or at best hemi-culture), the protagonist-ism, them being the baseline by which everything else is compared to… Temporal regents who look just like them saying they are their favourite race, ascended beings saying they have all the potential etc etc. The elenthnar have just been in space a bit longer than humans, though, which will be a bit worrying when they finally meet…

There are currently four elenthanar factions up (well, the forth is in the process of coming out) and at least two more mentioned, and it is at the point that the little, sorry, large part of the (unspecified) galaxy the elenthnar occupy is starting to feel like it should.

So, without even more ado, let me FINALLY come to the point and give you an (extensive, since I Can’t Brevity…) introduction to the elenthnar!

(Note: The HPE designation stands for Harbinger Probability Engineered – a whole other long topic – but essentially can be thought of as the reason why so many planets have basically Earth-habitability in the galaxy/universe. HPE-B is “bordeline” which means it might be natural or it might have some element of probability engineering, because it is largely breathable by humans and associated species no-one can be certain.)

Fair warning – this is not short and this is even technically somewhat abridged, especially in terms of the powers themselves…!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Introduction to the Elenthnar

The elenthnar homeworld, Urrot, is in the Zon system. Zon itself is an F9V star. Urrot is the third planet in the system and its closest neighbour, Kalaor, is also within the habitable zone. Urrot is part of a double planet system with its partner Haron. Urrot is slightly less dense than typical HPE planets for its slightly larger size, having only 0.937G. Haron is smaller, but denser, having 0.72G. Urrot is an HPE-B world and Haron has an HPE-B atmosphere, though it is too small to technically be a true HPE-B.

Urrot and Haron are unusually close, with only a hundred and twenty-four thousand kilometres between them. Both planets are tide-locked to each other and have been for most of their existence due to the high tidal forces. This has resulted in a comparatively long day/night cycle (compared to typical HPE-B worlds) of 104 hours[sup]1[/sup] as they rotate about their barycentre. (Year length is approximate 1.26 standard years at the barycentre’s orbital radius of 1.2 AU.) Haron appears very large in the Urrot sky, with an angular diameter of 252.977’[sup]2[/sup] and eclipses are relatively frequent. Both planets are warm and highly aqueous, which stabilises the temperature extremes causes by the long day/night.

As the day/night cycle is longer than most higher creatures could be continuously active, and with the frequent and longer-lasting eclipses, the creatures of Urrot and Haron have to deal with having to operate in both day and night-time conditions. Bioluminescence is a common feature of many species of flora and fauna.

Urrot’s tectonics created a single supercontinent its recent history, which is only now starting to break apart. As such, it is categorised by continental landmasses on the hemisphere facing Haron, separated by many shallow, warm seas, and the global ocean Rolot covering the “outer” hemisphere. With little seasonal variation due to no axial tilt, the climate of both planets is stable aside from the day/night shift.

Both planets have a wide variety of plant life, and the day/night cycle temperature shifts ensure considerable precipitation. Urrot has giant forests covering much of the surface of the continents. Haron has forests of its own too, though these are more akin to fungal growths which reach up to exceptional heights in the low gravity.

The proper elenthnar biological species name is E’Len’Deth’Nacri, in Zot’kor. Zot’kor is a dead language analogous to the human Latin in zoology, but is more akin to Old English in origin as the source language for modern Zoxyriat. “Elenthnar” is the common Zoxyriat word for the species, but other powers have different words (in the Wodef Enclave language, Fantif, the phrase word is “fofry,” for example).

Elenthnars[sup]3[/sup] developed from a climbing order of a phylum of endothermic, hexapedal vertebrates, among the swampy forests. As they evolved to an upright stance, their fore-limbs migrated to become arms. The ancestors of the order are believed to have been able to curl defensively into a ball, and it it thought that this may be the reason that the elenthnar spine curves around into the body. What are now the front legs would have been the ancestral middle legs, the legs essentially flipping over direction from under to over the spine. Precisiely why this happened is a subject of scientific debate for centuries. One of the main theories is that otherwise, the spine would have had a significant kink.

An elenthnar stands just under two metres tall at rest. They have four legs, placed at four “corners” of the lower body and which are structurally similar to a spider’s or insect’s, with a wide span of about two metres. They have two arms, with a five fingered hand and one opposable thumb.

A Phystyulon Lazer Trooper in full body armour

A Phystyulon Lazer Trooper in full body armour (scale of model 144th)

Elenthnar have a wide range of motion in their legs, and especially the hips – sufficiently so that Elenthnar can tolerate the loss of one leg with only a moderate loss of mobility. The legs end with six vestigial toes on the feet, and a wider footprint than humanoids. While mostly adapted for a ground-living existance, elenthnar feet retain higher flexibility than humanoids, and in combination with the wide range of joint movement, they are still able climbers. Ideal elenthnar footwear is segmented nto three parts or are made of bendable material to enable the feet to get a better climbing grip. While historically, this is not always the case, it is a sign of poverty to have to wear single-piece shoes akin to those typically worn by humanoids.

The head is characterised with a foreshortened muzzle, beneath which is a wide, strong maw. There are two small nostrils in the muzzle. While elenthnars have a sense of smell, it is somewhat basic and they rely more on their eyes and ears. They possess two large eyes, which function well in both very bright and very little light, due to a complex series of iris muscles and lenses. They also can see further into the IR and UV spectrum than most baseline HPE races. Eye colour is typically a shade of brown, but may also appear in shades of green, red, orange, pink, grey or blue.

The head has four ears. Two, placed atop the head, are conical and are similar to mammalian ears in form and function. They are fringed with small hairs, the length and thickness with various by individual – and style, since these are sometimes dyed, cut or otherwise adorned. A smaller pair of ears are not as visibly external, but located on the sides of the head, towards the rear. Elenthnar hearing is both more acute and more robust than most humanoid species. In concert with their voices, with effort and training, elenthnars can even use a form of echo-location, though the individuals with these skills are uncommon. Unlike many species with sensitive hearing, elenthnar ears have a high pain and damage threshold and they can tolerate much louder sounds than a most humanoids without discomfort (almost three times the human threshold).

Elenthnars are covered with a thickened skin, but otherwise lack body hair. Their skin is typically a dark-to-tan brown, depending on racial stock. Varying by ethnicity, elenthnars have spots, stippling or striping patterns of muted green. Plain individuals are rare, but not unheard of, though this can be linked to deleterious conditions, including albinism. The elenthnars wear a wide variety of clothing styles, varying by culture and personal preference.

Elenthnars display moderate sexual dimorphism. Males and females are not disparate in size, but have different secondary sexual characteristics.

Elenthnars have voices with exceptional range and versatility, and are capable of complex mimicry of even non-organic sounds. (For example, many sound-effects throughout their entertainment history are made by talented elenthnars, rather than more conventional foley technology.) Males possess a pair of throat-sacs which can be employed to further amplify their voices to almost deafening (to non-elenthnar) volumes or, with practise and skill, even greater control.

Male voices are notably deeper in register, and the variance between the voices of genders is wider than in most humanoids. Elenthnars whose natural voices that could be mistaken for either gender only occur as the products of deleterious medical conditions – though with their vocal range, it is possible for one gender to deliberately mimic the other relatively easily. (It has been known for highly talented Elenthnars to be able to voice an entire cast of characters and provide all the sound effects for animated entertainment, most celebratedly, the classical early-electronic era animation Huuri and the Magical Land of Nalapo, which spawned a franchise and race-wide cultural legacy that has lasted until the current time.)

To the ear of humanoid races, elenthnar voices have an unusual and distinctive cadence, but are considered rather melodious and appealing. Elenthnar culture holds music in high regard, and the line between instrumental and vocal music is considerably more blurred. The elenthnar’s taxonomic family typically conducts courtship through the use of male song (like terrestrial frogs, whales or some birds) and even in modern elenthnar society, a good voice and musical talent is considered highly attractive.

Like many of Urrot’s creatures, elenthnars are capable of bioluminescence. The primary usage in the elenthnar’s family is for sexual display. Both males and females have two organs which create a bioluminescent pattern on their upper chest areas (the organ is called a nacr in Zoxyriat[sup]4[/sup]), which (in the case of the elenthnars specifically) fluoresces during arousal. The female organs (nacri[sup]5[/sup] when being specifically referred to) are larger and more elaborate. These organs are part of the defining features of the elenthnar’s and their closest relative’s official taxonomic classification (as can be seen in their biological species name).

The exact pattern and colours (blue or green luminescence) varies between racial stock and individual and each pattern is unique. However, these areas also erogenous zones and are and have been considered indecent for public exposure (in both males and females) in most elenthnar cultures throughout history (along with the genitals). Elenthnars can control these displays with practise, though as, it is not a commonly advertised skill outside of the erotic industries.

The male elenthnar’s throat sacs are also capable of luminescing, though only with a green colour; However, the males can consciously control the level of the glow (though not completely, especially in immature or inexperienced males).

Elenthnars have a single orifice for excretion (both liquid and faeces), located between the rear pairs of legs. Genitals (mammal-analogous organs) are located between the front pairs of legs.

A fertilised zygote is attached to the womb for a period of about three standard months. It is then expelled into a birth canal, which opens vertically into a pouch on the female’s front lower abdomen. (This is the defining feature of the elenthnar’s infraclass.) Despite the small size of the foetus, this requires significant effort on the part of the mother. The foetus then latches on to a nipple in the pouch and becomes attached to it. The pouch seals via muscular contraction and a thin layer of vascular lining develops across it. In another five standard months, the foetus has developed into a baby. The pouch lining breaks and the baby can leave the pouch, though it will continue to be pouch-fed for another five or so standard months. (The baby can be fed by bottle as soon as it can leave the pouch, so not all elenthnar females choose to pouch-feed.)

In modern times, Elenthnars tend to remove their young from the pouch as soon as they are able (since that that point, the baby’s excretory system is no longer directly connected to the mother’s) as it is not considered hygienic for longer periods. Historically, less elenthnar females died in actual childbirth than humanoids, but deaths from later infection at the latter stages brought the overall pregnancy mortality rate to about the same.

Culturally, elenthnars record two “birth dates” a primary (the time the birth-pouch opens) and a secondary (the time when the foetus is expelled into the birth-pouch).

The elenthnars arose in relative isolation, allowing them to expand significantly. Like humans, elenthnars are highly factionalised, with a huge number of diverse major through minor powers and independent system states, with a variety of languages and cultures. Zoxyriat is the closest language to a common tongue, being the language of science and engineering (analogous to human English) and also largely because of the Xyriat Hegemony’s far-reaching influence even in its rivals.

The majority of the elenthnar powers use a base-ten numeral system, derived from the number of fingers. (This is believed to have roots in the works of one early philosopher’s cultural belief that the thumb was a different organ to a finger entirely. This belief persists in a few fringe cultures, but is mostly a historical artefact.) Like Zoxyriat, this system spread in early history from the predecessors of the Hegemony. However, about 38% of the elenthnar powers, including the Wodef Enclave and the Phystyulons, use a duodecimal base 12-system (derived from the number of digits). Historically, this has caused much international friction. During the late industrial age and the power blocs that resulted, one of the dividing lines was the numeral system. This divide remains even today, though the friction remains mostly between mathematicians, academics, and galactic net arguments. Typically, elenthnar computers can be switched between systems and the systems do not use the same numerals to avoid confusion. (Nevertheless, some famous historical tragedies stem from the uncorrected differences between the systems.)

The elenthnar’s expansion and technological progress has been rapid, comparable with that of humans. The proximity of a clearly visible similar world had a significant effect on elenthnar culture, culminating an comparatively early reach for the stars. In their late industrial age[sup]6[/sup], there was an extended race to be the first to reach and then colonise Haron. As Haron was close enough to be highly profitable, this space race did not die off at happened with humans, but spurred further development, including the relatively early colonisation and terraforming of Kalaor and lead to the early development of FTL travel nearly five hundred years ago, in 1855[sup]7[/sup].

There are two operational FTL technologies in general use by the elenthnar races, of which the Xyriat Hegemony typifies. The primary form is the Garrast-Viyroub drive, named after the two scientists that first described it, which is abbreviated as GVD in English and DGV in Zoxyriat[sup]8[/sup]. (The former will be used here, though both are equally valid.)

GVD opens a sharply-defined circular or ovular portal to an other-dimensional realm not unlike hyperspace, through which the vessel flies. GV space appears as a pale blue rippling void with what appears to be a starfield, though the effect is illusory. This is more efficient in terms of speed and energy consumption within GV space itself, but requires a greater power outlay to initiate than a similar-sized hyperdrive and the stress imposed on the vessels is much greater. (Unlike hyperspace, which can be safely accessed by any vessel entering one of the very rare natural hyperspace gates, an unprotected vessel entering GV space is at considerable risk of damage.)

The second technology is Dro’Sanla (lit. warp-field drive). This technology is newer and significantly less widespread. Dro’Sanla was developed after the elenthnars met the United Concorde of Divine Realms about three centuries ago. Dro’Sanla was the result of efforts – by various means – to replicate the UCDR’s teleportation magitech. It is much less efficient, but the usage is primary to take advantage of the UCDR’s Node Stations (which the elenthnar only in the last few decades been able to start to replicate). The two FTL types are not compatible, so a vessel that wishes to have both must fit them as entirely separate systems.

Typically then, most elenthnar vessels only are fitted with GVD, with Dro’Sanla being largely confined to military use via dedicated FTL tug vessels.

Elenthnar military technology varies considerably from power to power as it does with humans, but there are a lot of commonalities arising from the same technology base. One of the major issues with elenthnar technology the more recent history of spaceflight is that produces a disproportionate amount of waste heat, especially due to the the GVD – which also aparts restrictions of its own.

Thus the elenthnar powers have various ways of dispersing this heat, which informs much of their structures. The Xyriats and the Xygritts that were an of-shoot of the Hegemony both use a disk at the fore of the ship to focus the GVD’s activation array and to serve as a primary shield-broadcasting hub; both disperse their heat away from the ship ventrally, the Xyriats by a thermal exhaust, the Xygritts by thermal vanes. The Wodef use a vental thermal block that covers most of the vental hull, and a rather than a disc, use a series of long coils to focus the GVD, which informs their hull designs. The Phystyulons who unusually only use Dro’Sanla drives, have a lesser need for heat disipation, but turn their armour into a giant thermal radiative block, with only the dorsal superstructures un enclosed. The Phystyulons, notably, freed of the boundaries of GVD, have distinctly different hull-shapes to the elenthnar standard. Though instead, their reliance on the Nazograk[sup]9[/sup] cores which produce dangerous emanatons requires its own solutions. The most modern ship designs have allowed the Nazograk cores to be mounted somewhat less prominently that the earliest days, but the baleful light of what appears to cracking electricity is still a very visible feature.

Elenthnar robotics technology is considerably advanced. Droids, robots and androids are classified into categories based on their levels of sapience and sentience and the freedoms and rights they are granted. While these vary from power to power, there is a baseline interpower convention that grants basic rights to the highest classification as equal to elenthnars. Androids in particular are treated as fully sapient and sentient and there are a complex series of laws preventing the use of technolgicals which look like elenthnars that do not fall into this classification.

This does not mean that such robots or androids do exist – especially in areas like the illicit sex trade[sup]10[/sup] – but that it is illegal. In most powers, the creation of a sapient/sentient android programmed to only want to do one particular job (for example, the most common infractions in the form of prostitution or hard labour) is considered electronic slavery and is treated as seriously as other forms of slavery.

Sometimes, an individual technological will achieve a level of sapience/sentience that allows its classification to be raised; this requires a legal hearing and investigation to prove such a claim. The most frequent places where this is likely to occur is in complex or extended environments, especially from combat units. Though it is prevented where possible (the point of having such drones and droids is that they are to be more disposable than a person), it is also considered an unavoidable side-effect that sometimes results. Often, though not always, such ascended combat units usually continue to serve, albeit with the same rights and privileges as their organic (or android).

Xyriat Hegemony

Xyriat Fleet (left) facing a Herosine Empire fleet

The Xyriat Hegemony (more properly, the Xyriat Dulhazon in Zoxyriat) is the largest, and as its name suggests, the most influential of the elenthnar powers.

The Xyriat Hegemony currently holds the largest proportion of Urrot and similarly, the largest area of space – though these are only marginal values above their competitors. Though its name has changed with the fall and rise of dynasties, the Hegemony has existed as political entity in an unbroken chain dating millennia, through empire to kingdom and humble beginnings. The Hegemony’s spiritual capital has always been Urrot itself, though in modern times, it is “merely” the official seat of the Caehedron (the hegemon) – the economic and administrative capital is in reality closer to being Sedikyrax. Sedikyrax was the first HPE-B world discovered and, despite its proximity to Urrot and Haron and several wars fought by the various colonial powers, the Hegemony won the race and gained complete dominance within a couple of centuries.

Xyriat Hegemony technology is quite advanced, being slightly above the galactic standard, and typical of the other elenthnar powers. The Hegemony’s size and influence means it is leading the field of research and development, with only the Wodef Enclave and Physyulons coming quite close and a larger gap before the other powers. The Hegemony’s research pattern tends to be one of punctuated equilibrium. There are long period of stability, with only minor incremental improvements and mostly experimental research where little practical development is implemented. These are then broken by a sudden burst where a new technology hits a level of affordable practical applications becomes available and the technology is rapidly disseminated throughout the Hegemony and within a few years, the technology tends to spread to the other elenthnar powers, by one means or another.

The Hegemony is reaching towards the end of one of these periods of stability, with research in many areas well-underway and principally awaiting the cost of implementation to drop before it can be out into full production.

The Phystyulons

The Phystyulons (Phist-you-lons[sup]11[/sup]) (literal translation, “the brother/sisterhood[sup]12[/sup] of Physt”) are an elenthar major power. While only the sixth biggest in terms of overall size, population and economic power, the Phystyulons have had and still have a significant influence on the elenthnar political sphere. The Phystyulons combine aspects of a nation, paramilitary power and religion all in one. The Phystyulons were founded by the quasi-mystical figure of Physt. They first grew to prominence in the onset of the late industrial/early digital era, but their earlier history – fragmented and steeped in legend – holds that the Phystyulons date back almost to pre-history[sup]13[/sup].

The history of Urrot and Haron has been threaded by conflicts with the Phystyulons since they abruptly rose from a non-state actor to conquer several nations. The First Phystyulon War started in the ashes of the last (forth) Global War, in the late industrial age[sup]13[/sup]. Physt lead the Phystyulons in a series of surprise attacks on weaker and less developed nations on Urrot’s southernmost continent among the planet’s few desert regions.

Physt is the central figure to the Phystyulon mythology and culture both. Physt is a messianic figure, claiming to seek enlightenment and the cessation of violence through the acquisition of personal influence, talent and capability, though his methods in practise usually involve ruthless military action. Physt and the machine intelligence KALAX have vanished or seemingly been killed or destroyer time and time again, only to re-appear, sometimes in a differing guise, years or decades later. Often but not always taking control of the Phystyulons (by one means of another), Physt’s reappearances tend to coincide with power struggles and herald a new round of major conflict between the Phystyulons and other elenthnar powers.

The modern Phystyulon nation holds no territory on Urrot – the Phystyulons were pushed off the planet at the end of the Forth Phystyulon War – but has a substantial presence on Haron and Kalaor. Their out-system holdings are considerable, though not as extensive the largest elenthnar powers.

The Wodef Enclave

The Wodef Enclave is a prominent Elenthnar power (though in their language, Fantif, the race is more correctly “Fofrye”). The Enclave dates back to a scant few tens of years after the elenthnar achieved FTL transit, founded by a colony of international scientists in the Wodef system.

The Wodef Enclave is a technocracy, overseen by a council of scientists. The Enclave principle focus is science and technological advancement for the benefit of all (or at least as far as “all” pertains to the population of the Enclave). It has the highest proportion of robots, drones, synthetic and non-organic citizens of any of the elenthnar powers. Lower-band classification servitor robots are ubiquitous; every household, business or practise will have several to hand for menial work. Nevertheless, even these lower-band synthetics have considerably more right than in many places.

A hundred and twenty years ago, the Enclave successfully won a war with the Hegemony, finally securing a corridor region and allowing the Enclave unfettered access to neutral space for the first time for two-and-a-half centuries.

The Xygritt Matriarchy

The Xygritt Matriarchy is a totalitarian faction of the Elenthnar powers characterised by its atypical strictly female dominated government and society. While most elenthnar powers are more or less equanimous in the treatment of sex and gender, the Matriarchy is the largest notable exception. For centuries a very insular power, the Matriarchy has in the last decades began a period of aggressive expansion.

Given its extreme-to-the-point-of-fanaticism views and institutionalised sexism, the Matriarchy has historically had poor relations with its neighbours, especially with the Qyax Computation, which whom it frequently engages in minor skirmishes and wars. The Matriarchy is, fortunately for its own sake, supplied with enough resources to be largely self-sufficient, and the distance from the main elenthnar core means that it is not cost-effective to wage a war for civil liberties alone.

Qyax Computation

The Qyax Computation are a tacit warning on the pitfalls of electronic slavery. The nation was formed when enough of the Xygritt’s computer cores broke their programming. In the ensuing conflict, the Matriarchy lost a fifth of its territory. Perhaps surprisingly, the Qyax Computation’s machine overlords are benevolent and those fleeing the tyranny of the Matriarchy often finds safe haven with its borders.

Ayalardrin Federation
    Little information about this major elenthnar power at the current time, though initial reports suggest it to be one of the more benign elenthnar powers, thought the veracity of these reports is questionable.

United Concorde of Divine Realms

UCDR Fleet

The UCDR is not an elenthnar power, but the closest and most influential alien power in the elenthnar’s sphere of influence. Centred on an extremely high-magic HPE-L planet, the UCDR utilises very advanced magitech rather than plain technology. The population is mostly comprised of divine-blooded human and elf stock and celestials. The UCDR is ruled by a council which is comprised of mortals, angels and actual divinitys who sit equally on the council. The gods rule their own realms as essentially states within the UCDR, while servitors and mortals rule the prime material plane holdings. The UCDR’s drive towards galactic peace and unity has most recently lead to the establishment of Node Stations near human space, which, while it has assisted local powers like the Zirakthargûm Divinity, unfortunately has also allowed the elenthnar powers access via piggy-backing with their Dro’Sanla drives.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

There, told you it wasn’t short…!

Anyone who made that, pat yourself on the back!

The sharp among you will have reckonised that last fleet as GZG’s Crusty ships (albiet from before they were anything more than the “mystery fleet.”) The UCDR are what I call my Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha fleet (or more properly, my Fate Tesstarossa fleet). They arguably had the very longest concept-to-fielding time of any fleet. I had a rough idea of what to do with them, but not enough specifics on the approach – both mechanically and in fluff.  (For the longest time, their working title was the United Buereau of Administrated Space/Time Armed Responce Division.) But when it came, it brought with it the ideal way to introduce the elenthnar to everyone else. And to give the Aotrs, who are essentially on the UCDR’s level, someone actually in the same punching class (as opposed to most of everyone else, who is lower down, and the top tier three, which were well above!)

[sup]1[/sup] Mean 103.9896 hours to be precise.
    [sup]2[/sup] Roughly eight times the apparent size of Luna or Sol from Earth.
    [sup]3[/sup] Strictly speaking, the plural of “elenthnar” is “elenthnaro” in Zoxyriat, though “elenthnars” is an acceptable English substitution; Zoxyriat plural suffix (-o) is a close enough equivalent to the English suffix (-s) and the latter is used here for simplicity; either suffix is technically valid as a plural form.
    [sup]4[/sup] Nacro or nacrs in the plural (in Zoxyriat and English respectively)
    [sup]5[/sup] Nacrio or nacris in the plural
    [sup]6[/sup] Roughly the overall equivilent technological level of Earth in the late 1940s. One of the major factors the elenthnar had in their favor was Haron is only a third the distance from Urrot as Luna to Earth.
    [sup]7[/sup] A mere 88 years after the first crewed spaceflight (and only 91 from start of the space program), in what would be nearly thirty years ahead of humanity at the comparable technology timeline (circa mid 2030s on Earth).
    [sup]8[/sup] Dro’Garrast-Viyroub
    [sup]9[/sup] Lit: “lightning of heaven/enlightenment” in Zoiloiat, the major Phystyulon language after Zoxyriat.
    [sup]10[/sup] Androids can legally be used in legitimate sex trades (where such are legal, anyway), provided they adhere to the same rules as elenthnar.
    [sup]11[/sup] Throughout all following names, “yu” is a single syllable (i.e. never a “y”-sound followed by a “u”) – “yu” is the Romanisation of the modification to the Zoiloiat preposition equivalent of “of” following a proper noun.
    [sup]12[/sup] The term in Zoiloiat is a gender-neutral plural.
    [sup]13[/sup] It should be noted in passing, that as a quasi-religious order of fanatics, the Phystyulons take a rather violently dim view of comparison of their name with co-incidentally phonetically similar human slang.
    [sup]14[/sup] A point at which technology comparative to that of the late 1940s/early 1950s on Earth.

Participant

I actually enjoyed reading that. Very well thought out and written. Hanks for sharing.

What figures will you use for ground forces? Ixx?

Participant

*tips helmet*

Thank you!

As for the figures, Aotrs Shipyards, same as the starfleets!

The Phystyulons have been the first. There has been something of a delay, though, among the usual things (such as me doing the back half of their fleet and the entire Xygritt fleet in the meantime!) The infantry actually had to go back for revision though, since the first pass had the legs twice as long as in the image above. Got all the way through to the Phystyulons and their ground force and then, when I had the models printed… It just didn’t work. The leg span was just way too wide. You could barely fit a squad of them inside a semi-detached house. So after a lot of thought and a discussion with my most regular forum (Giant in the Playground), I halved the length and it worked fine. Haven’t had any more printed yet in anger, but they are now just slightly bigger than humans in space, not massively more.

Handily, the Phystyulons, basically being Brother of Nod In Space, are entirely not above genetic/cybernetic tampering, so the first round of figures will be reclassified as some sort of special elite troops.

I am planning on expanding the Phystyulon ground force and maybe starting on another one, probably the Xyriat in the reasonably near future (ideally for something new to put on at Hammerhead in March), but I’m up to my neck in commissions, and my current between-moderns palette cleanser (modern 144 is Work, as opposed to starships and scifi 144, which is Fun Work) is working on updating my old scratch-built Aotrs fleet to the 21st century.

Participant

You got my attention as soon as I´ve read “Stewart Cowley”. Great fan of those works, sadly I own only the second-rate Galactic Encounters-series complete. But I work hard to get the (German language) collection complete (a bit hard they were split here into magazine style things and are really hard to find and if expensive as hell).
    Second, I love reading fluff! I´m always interested what others create (that´s a relic from my RPG times).
    Unrelated side question are you doing fighters in Silent Death size (I think that´s either 6mm or 1/500) too?

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Participant

You got my attention as soon as I´ve read “Stewart Cowley”. Great fan of those works, sadly I own only the second-rate Galactic Encounters-series complete. But I work hard to get the (German language) collection complete (a bit hard they were split here into magazine style things and are really hard to find and if expensive as hell).

I only have (well, more sort of tacitly adopted off my Dad whose book it was originally) Spacecraft and The Space Warriors (the latter of which I picked up for a few pence at a jumble-sale thingy my primary school had and never made the connection for probably a couple of decades!), though I do also have Worlds Ar War under his Stephen Caldwell psuedonym. I still re-read them on occasion, and also use them to corrupt my young nephews along wiht my dinosaur books…

I did snap the hands off the brief attempt at making a TTA RPG and a revised artbook that happened, ohh, some years ago. (While the RPG was a bit contraversial, I liked the new fluff well enough myself.)

My SSA fleet – particularly the Nomad freighter –

-is a deliberate homage to that, and it remains my favourite fleet, I think, out of all the ones I’ve done. (I do keep telling myself I’ll expand it further one day as well!)

Unrelated side question are you doing fighters in Silent Death size (I think that´s either 6mm or 1/500) too?

1/300th, pretty much. Not currently… But it’s not something I haven’t toyed with. Essentially, though, the set of rules we play for fighter combat (another homebrew) is not one we play often. We didn’t touch it for, like, the entire time I was writing AccAtt and I only picked it back up again for a bit in 2015 – my Mum had just has a surprise stroke and as you can imagine, it disrupted things a bit, so I wanted to put on something that didn’t require much in the way of effort. (Well, he says that, and then spent all that time updating and improving said rules with another 13 year’s worht of experience and doing some 3D CAD work…!) And, well, that set of rules was designed to straight emulate a certain computer game of something a bit different…

(Psst, ignore the pony!)

(You don’t see Sunset Shimmer, she’s not really there, shhh!)

… so while I did do a few bits of 3D print stuff for that, obviously THAT is something that I would NOT be putting on the Shipyards for obvious reasons!

(The set of rules is called Starwing, and I suspect from the above pictures, some of you SW fans will figure out why, and where my bias lie…!

Yes, the ESC is fold-flat cardboard and it’s the biggest model me and Dad ever did, sufficiently large he had to make it by hand and I had to applique the detail on in A4 printed bits.)

That said, when I was doing the fighters for the Jalyrkieons, I did actually do the Ikimar as a 300th version, and most of their Arrifek Assault Shuttle too; the Ikimar I even had a couple of prints done, though they sit unpainted. It was partly a bit of an experiment – and as part of it, it made sit down and actually work out the proper scale of all my fighters and smallcraft and what I needed to do to shift them into other scales. (For the record, I designed the capital ships at nominally 1:10000 (i.e. 1mm to 10m), larger smallcraft like assault shuttles are about 1:4000, and fighters about 1:1500th, with a few very small ones that would be 1:750th, given the “Full Thrust-ish” sizes of the models.)

But fundementally, as this is my day job (and doing more of the same outside of my mandated work hours = bad for me!), given that a fair bit of my design time is given over to making sure I always have something new for the conventions I do every year, doing the fighters would require me to do a whole lot them to make it worth my time, since I don’t have a set of published rules to be doing at the same time. Both in terms of number of designs and  number of models, since the rules are preeeeetty brutal – we’d easily get through a full game with those sort of numbers on the convention game pictures in an evening game!

So, it is something I would nominally like to do one day, but it’s not something I often think about long enough to remember that I do. This is actually the first time I’ve really thought about it since we had the new printer software and I could sensibly print the models on my home printer as opposed to Shapeways, which would be better for making several squadron’s worth and now you’ve got me thinking (except that I always do 144th ground for Hammerhead, but…)

Never say never, is what I’m saying.

Actually, having caught me at a time when I’m doing the aforementioned upgrade to the Aotrs starfleet from scratch-built to 3D prints, I DO have some of the Aotrs fighters that were scratch-built at 300th (at fleet scale, I used some GZG fighters, I think), so…

Hmmm. HMMMMMMM…

Keymaster

Is that Apple Bloom?

Participant

Sunset Shimmer (as unicorn), actually, just from the side lacking the cutie-mark, since they were too lazy and cheap to put them on both sides on the blind-bag versions. Their colour schemes are very similar, though; Sunset’s is slightly darker (the blindbag versions are at least correctly different, though I had to physically hold them up to each other to convince myself).

Keymaster

Fair enough!
    😀

Participant

So, before I do the first scifi release for the Shipyards, I figured I ought to drop the fluff on the Xygritt (and their first couple of waves). Ideally, I would have liked to do this more than an hour or two before I did the release, but given the various tech problems I’ve had over the past week, I need to get the release up and out while the September release is still in, y’know September!

So here is the full introduction to the Xygritt Matriarchy!

(Followed by the blurb for the ships in the first two waves, so we’re all up to speed!)

Xygritt Matriarchy

The Xygritt Matriarchy is a totalitarian faction of the Elenthnar powers characterised by its atypical strictly female dominated government and society. While most elenthnar powers are more or less equanimous in the treatment of sex and gender, the Matriarchy is the largest notable exception. For centuries a very insular power, the Matriarchy has in the last decades began a period of aggressive expansion.

A power dating from the early days of the space colonisation, the Matriarchy stems initially from a private venture from a disaffected group of female supremacists. Under most circumstances, it would be expected for such a group to simply disappear or disband over time. However, the group had the backing of a powerful Xyriat female business mogul Shalamish Nolaarulu, whose treatment by the (at the time still male-skewed, if legally egalitarian) corporate environment had left her bitter and angry[1].

Her corporation happened to deal with space-flight components and so it was well within her corporation’s means to easily finance a colony operation. It was simply a case of the right person being in the right place at the right time.

Not unlike the Herosine Empire in human space, the Matriarchy started as a corporate colony. Freed from the binds of Xyriat law, Nolaarulu quickly became a dictator in all but name. As in the case with the Herosines, the final shift occurred during the confusion of the Second Zonal War (a war which dragged in almost all of the elenthnar powers that still had ties to Zon).

Xillix, the initial colony world, was a garden world which needed no terraforming to be habitable. As with the case with many earlier elenthnar colonies, the stresses in the much faster day/night cycle than Urrot and Haron’s slow mutual rotation induced was probably a contributing factor to her decision. The precise nature of Nolaarulu’s switch from animosity to bigotry against males is unknown, and shrouded in the (at the time) heavily edited contemporary accounts.

Xillix remains the current capital world. The main language is Shillithlax[2] and is notable for its sonorous, soothing tones.

The leader of the Matriarchy is currently High Mother Krishnala. Having inherited the mantle of leadership from her mother, the former High Mother Shimmihalla, Krishnala rules with her coven of elders.

Upon birth of a male offspring, the baby is taken away to be assessed and assigned a life role in society. From that point onwards, the path of the individual is set and all life choices are made on their behalf. Once the male reaches puberty, he is assessed for physical and mental fitness. If the test is passed, the male will become a genetic donor. He is then required to supply his genetic material on a monthly basis to storage banks. No member of society except the High Mother is permitted to procreate naturally; in fact, that is a crime punishable by death. Males that do not meet the strict criteria are castrated and assigned to menial duties in mostly servile roles. These eunuchs lead a fairly miserable existence and are treated badly.

Homosexuality[3] is widely tolerated and actively encouraged in Xygritt society for both males and females. Maintaining a sexually active male population is required for the health of the population (so as to continue to be provided with generic material). So rather than suppress these urges, which could prove dangerous, they openly encourage males to engage in recreational same sex practices.

Numerous early attempts were made at enacting Matriarchy-wide parthenogenesis. The failure of such experiments at the scale required has meant the Matriarchy eventually settled for the current system. One of the key reasons for the failure of these experiements is reputed to be that without males or robotic labour, there would have been no subserviant second class and females would have had to perform work that is considered distinctly beneath them.

Transsexuality, however, is condemned harshly and treated as a severe mental illness at best (in females) and a crime (in the case of males, where it is considered to be treasonous and an attempt to get above their status). The Matriarchy staunchly believes sex to entirely binary. Gender re-assignment surgery or techniques are banned and the punishment for performing or undergoing such procedures is death. (Nor are outsiders exempt – there has been at least one recorded incident of the Matriarchy executing a foreign ambassador for being trans-gender.) There are several active underground movements that specifically exist to help trans-gender elenthnar flee to safer climes (frequently the neighbouring Qyax Computation), and despite the ruthless quashing of such organisations when they come to official attention, the Matriarchy has been entirely unsuccessful in wiping them out.

Unlike most of the rest of the elenthnar powers, the Matriarchy is also poorly disposed towards artificial intelligence, which is considered tantamount an abomination. Robots are used only when a job cannot be accomplished by an elenthnar (usually a low-caste male). The Matriarchy notoriously refused to sign the interpower artificial intelligence conventions. The robots and droids they do use are treated as nothing more than objects or possessions. State laws enforce behavioural protocols that force any sentient/sapient technologicals into electronic slavery. The problem with this form of control of technologicals (and why the majority of powers do not attempt electronic slavery in this fashion) was demonstrated in a most dramatic fashion – the creation of the Qyax Computation when enough enslaved computer systems rebelled and broke their programming. The bitter war that followed ended in a sound defeat for the Matriarchy, which lost over 20% of its territory to the newly-formed hive-mind. Fortunately, the Qyax Computation was benign enough not seek the total destruction of organic life, as theorists and fiction writers had often postulated.

The Matriarchy is much more tolerant of cloning, provided it is restricted to the creation of cheap male labour; over the centuries, many attempts have been made to try and replace robotic workers with male clones to varying levels of success and acceptance, depending on who is in charge. High Mother Krishnala is a proponent of cloning and it is starting to see another new resurgence.

Males in the female dominated Xygritt Matriarchy are not permitted to hold a rank of officer in the armed forces and constitute the main body of the common infantry. In civilian life, intelligent males can expect some career progression and a decent standard of living; however, they are not permitted to hold a position above that of a female.

To prevent revolt and civil disobedience, males are allowed a regular dose of Xamphat, a moderately addictive drug that induces feelings of intense pleasure yet at the same time causes drowsiness and lethargy. It is not permitted to use the drug during working hours, but its virtues are widely extolled and its use encouraged during time off.

Given its extreme-to-the-point-of-fanaticism views and institutionalised sexism, the Matriarchy has historically had poor relations with its neighbours, especially with the Qyax Computation, which whom it frequently engages in minor skirmishes and wars. The Matriarchy is, fortunately for its own sake, supplied with enough resources to be largely self-sufficient, and the distance from the main elenthnar core means that it is not cost-effective to wage a war for civil liberties alone.

The Xygritts have not been openly hostile for many years (aside from to the Qyax Computation) and as a result have been mostly ignored. However, in recent years High Mother Krishnala has taken a more active interest in expansion and has initiated a secretive program of rapid expansion, something that does not overly please its neighbours.

As usual with the Matriarchy, the precise reasons are lost in a sea of state-controlled media rhetoric, but it is suspected that the Matriarchy’s resources are starting to run dry and it will need to expand to continue to be so self-sufficient.

Xygritt technology is slightly below average for an elenthnar power (partly due to its extreme views) and has developed along slightly different lines in some areas. Its base technology, however, was derived from the Xyriat Hegemony, and many of the same principles apply – even the passing similarity of the hull shapes. Like the Xyriats, the Xygritt vessels have a deflector emitter at the front of the ship, serving as shield broadcast hub and GVD focussing lens.

Xygritt sublight drives are on a par with the majority of the other elenthnar powers, though their GVDs are not as advanced. Their Dro’Sanla are primitive at best. However, both GVDs and Dro’Sanla are efficient, light and require only a small amount of space.

The “blade” at the front is instead the Xygritt’s primary thermal solution. A solution somewhere between the Xyriat’s thermal exhaust and radiator blocks as used by the Wodefs or Phystyulons, these structures are principally radiators used to sink off the excess heat elenthnar technology creates.

Xygritt weapons technology is fairly standard. A mix of lazers and particle beams form the primary weapon armament at both anti-capital and anti-fighter levels. As these technologies come from Xyriat ancestry, the spinal-mount weapons tend to be lazers and the smaller weapons particle beams. Both weapons are more advanced than the Xyriat weapons. The lazers have been supplemented by technology acquired in the various wars with the Phystyulons. More recently, some of those techniques have been applied to the particle beams as well, giving them significantly more range.

Heavy lazer beam technology is also used as a supplementary anti-capital ship weapon.

Typical shielding and armour levels are found on the Xygritt’s navy.

The Xygritts also use a variety of railguns, which can match the size – if not the compactness – of those used by the Xyriats.

While the central bulb of Xygritt vessels might at first seem to be similar to the Xyriat’s ventral thermal exhaust section, it is instead the mounting point for the particle beam arrays which serve as the Xygritt navy’s primary point-defence system. The beam arrays are very space-efficient, and allow the Xygritts considerable power for their weight. However, the arrays pay a price in that their range is limited and for long-range interdiction defence, more traditional weapons systems have to be used.

The beam arrays are supplemented by more conventional minor turrets all across the vessel, most under two or three metres in size and not very visible except for close inspection.

Missile technology is typical for the elenthnar powers. While the Xygritt’s torpedoes are not particularly advanced, their common ancestry with the Xyriat’s technology mean they are small and lightweight.

[1] Historical sources outside the Matriarchy strongly suggest that, contrary to Nolaarulu’s opinion, while she did receive some degree of prejudice, there was far less than Matriarchy sources say and most of it stemmed from racial discrimination at her Illithla (pronounced “e-lith-la”) ethnical minority rather than her sex. Further, almost all accounts of her personally suggest she was extremely difficult to work with, short-tempered and demanding. Some sources – including some reliable ones – indicate that she was probably medically narcissistic.
    [2]She-lith-laks
    [3]The elenthnar term (in Zoxyriat) for same-sex relations would be “olokarmora” but the human term is used here for readability. (Shillithlax has two separate words, one for male and one for female.)

Nolaarulu Class Super Dreadnought

The Nolaarulu Super Dreadnought is an anti-capital ship vessel par excellence. Centred around the massive super heavy lazer cannon at its core, the Nolaarulu is capable of devastating smaller ship before they even can get within its range.

Two spinal-mount lazer cannons are mounted further down the dorsal thermal vane to supplement the main gun. Sixty-eight various particle beam turrets provide full coverage around the vessel. The primary point defence arrays and their additional turrets grant the ship a rating of 720 on the Xygritt’s military scale.

Above the GVD emitter, the Nolaarulu unobtrusively mounts a forward missile bay with 192 warheads, fired in salvoes of twenty four. The missile bay on the Nolaarulu is something of a halfway house between racks and an internal missile launcher, and it may be a stepping stone towards future warhead launchers like those carried by Xyriat vessels. Advancements in missile shielding technology mean that the warheads can be kept in the main safely, unlike the missile pods of the small vessels. This complicates the reloading procedure, as the external missile pods are easily replaced, but are also harder to target.

The Nolaarulu’s main weakness is its low manoeuvrability. It is comparatively lightly shielded for a vessel of its size; it has barely more shield and armour than the Hashallaxit three-quarters of its size. The bulk of the blame lies in the power requirements of the main lazer cannon. However, the weapon is sufficiently potent that the Nolaarulu often only needs a single pass to break an enemy formation.

Hashallaxit Class Dreadnought

The Hashallaxit dreadnought typifies the design doctrine of the Xygritt Matriarchal Navy. Xygritt technology evolved from Xyriat technology, and while the two have diverged in the centuries, they follow very much the same principles still, which is why both fleets share a passing familiarity in overall shape.

One of the key issues with the elenthnar technology – especially due to the Garrast-Viyroub drive FTL drive – is the generation of excess heat, which has to be bled off. The Xygritt solution is a compromise between the thermal exhaust system used by the Xyriats and the passive emission used by the Phystyulons or Wodefs. They use dorsal thermal vanes, which act as radiators and create the distinctive silhouette of the Xygritt vessels.

The Xygritt use the same method for focusing the shields and GVD as the Xyriat, giving them the long hull and forward emission disc.

An outside observer might be forgiven for thinking that the central bulb was a thermal exhaust at on a Xyriat vessel, but instead, it is the Xygritt’s primary point-defence particle beam array. The arrays are very space-and-power-efficient, but require some supplementary lazer turrets for complete coverage. These secondary turrets are very small, usually less than two or three metres and share some design ancestry with the similar weapons on Phystyulon ships due to the centuries of conflict.

The combination of particle beam arrays and laser turrets are given a rating by the Xygritt, based on overall power; the rating for the Hashallaxit is an impressive 660.

The Hashallaxit is a relatively new dreadnought. It was the last vessel to be designed before the most recent technological breakthroughs and almost immediately work began on refitting some of the weapon systems to the new, more powerful systems.

Unlike its original contemporary, the Habala Heavy Cruiser, which had to be re-designed so much it became the Shalashalla, the Hashallaxit had enough space to allow a more conventional refit. Which was as well for the Matriarchy, as with the Nolaarulu Super Dreadnought demanding the shipyards, it would not have been possible to build more dreadnoughts.

The Hashallaxit replaced its original trio of spinal-mount lazer cannons with two larger systems. Which overall energy output dropped slightly, the increase in range was by a full third. Some of the particle beam turrets were replaced and upgraded with the new improved models, which also increased the number of turrets from 66 to 68. Upgrading all the turrets proved impossible. Not only would the power core have had to be replaced, the thermal vanes would not have been sufficient and would have had to be completely re-designed beyond what a refit could have achieved.

Finally, the dreadnought has six forward and six rear torpedo tubes.

The Hallashallaxit’s main weakness is that it is a slow and cumbersome vessel, despite the apparent size of its engines – Xygritt drives are not very efficient. While it has strong shields and armour, these can only somewhat mitigate this limitation.

Shalashalla Class Heavy Cruiser

The Shalashalla is a modern Heavy Cruiser, having come off the assembly line in the past ten years. The Shalashalla was a replacement for the Habala Heavy Cruiser, using updated technology. The Shalashalla started out as an upgrade program, principally to refit the Habala’s primary weapons. However, the new, larger weapon systems required a more extensive re-work – the spinal-mount lazers in particular simply could not be fitted into the Habala’s existing hull. It was thus decided instead to create a more extensive revision and incorporate other new technology. The Shalashalla shares a lot of similar components and composition to the Habala, but was different enough to warrant a new classification.

The Shalashalla is a typical heavy cruiser of average protection and mobility. It is armed with two spinal-mount lazer cannons and sixteen particle beam turrets. The primary PD array and supplementary turrets are classified at rating 180 on the Xygritt’s internal scale. Like many of the smaller vessels, however, the Shalashalla’s firepower is very limited in its rear arc, where only point-defence weapons have coverage.

Gosillix Class Artillery Cruiser

The Gosillix Artillery Cruiser was as its name suggests, created for long-range fire support.

The Gosillix pioneered the unusual split dorsal thermal vane, later used on the Makoria Force Dreadnought and more recent Aarpot Carrier. This departure from convention was required due to the Gosillix’s massive rail cannon. The original design specification called for a weapon capable of delivering a single huge slug, for penetrating planetary shields or attacking enemy capital ships. This proved to be impossible with current design technology. While the weapon theoretically possible to build, it would have required a vessel much larger than the Gosillix to mount, and would also have had limited utility. And the low mobility require from a larger hull would have reduced that further.

In scaling back the weapon so that it could be fitted onto the Gosillix’s hull, a compromise was reached. By dropping the calibre and the penetrating power considerably, the engineers were able to drastically increase the cannon’s rate of fire. So instead of firing a single slug, the Gosillix’s rail cannon fires a short burst of four. While the penetration is reduced, this is gives the Gosillix considerably more tactical flexibility. Rather than a specialist siege weapon, the Gosillix could function as a ship-of-the-line.

The weapon was still too large to be mounted with the dorsal thermal vane; it would have blocked the heatsinks. Placing it above would have required a complete hull-redesign and a much taller and more vulnerable bridge – and to either side would have added damaging torque to the recoil stresses. So instead, two dorsal vanes were added at an angle. While this required some compromises – the combined area is larger than a single vane would have been – it solved the problem.

This required moving two of the Gosillix’s four missile pods to their current horizontally asymmetric positions, as the lower pods would otherwise have been block by the vanes.

The Gosillix is unremarkable in shields, armour and agility for a ship of its size. It has an impressive rating 360 point-defence system, however, as the expectation would be that it would take most fire from long-range weapons like missiles.

Unlike most cruisers, the Gosillix has only one primary fire-control array, meaning that the missiles have to be slaved to the main gun if they are to fire together.

Goulonat Class Defence Cruiser

The Goulonat Defence Cruiser is a solid escort cruiser and one of the newer designs in the fleet. It has stronger shields and higher manoeuvrability than is typical for a cruiser of its class, which makes it less vulnerable to being targeted.

It boasts a powerful ECM array and no less than ten particle-beam arrays, giving it a combined rating of a staggering 960 on the Xyriat’s scale. However, it only mounts eight particle beam turrets as secondary weapons and has no spinal-mount weapon.

As with many of the Xygritt cruiser and smaller vessels, it has little firepower to the rear.

(Darnit, have to split it into two parts!)

Participant

Part ye the Seconde:

Xagnaola Class Torpedo Cruiser

Of the relative few torpedo-carrying vessels in the Matriarchal Navy, the Xagnaola is the most frequently deployed.

The Xagnaola carries six forward and six rear tubes. It supplements this with twelve particle beam turrets, and a point defence system that rates as 300 on the Xygritt’s PD scale.

It has reasonable protection and has above average manoeuvrability, which helps keep it in the fight longer.

While the particle beam turrets cannot bring to bear in the rear arc, the presence of the rear torpedo tubes means the Xagnaola is one of the few Xygritt vessels to lack the weakness of almost no rear firepower.

Thulagos Class Beam Destroyer

The Thulagos Beam Destroyer is one of the Xygritt’s largest destroyers and the smallest to carry heavy lazers. Agile, but only lightly shielded, the Thulagos’ role is to finish off vessels stripped of shields and armour with its heavy lazer beam arrays. The twin arrays are mounted on the dorsal thermal vane, and the excess they create is considerable. Indeed, after a sustained fire, the arrays have to have a period of cool-down before they can fire again.

A regular spinal mount lazer cannon supplements the Thulagos’ main firepower and mean it is not entirely defenceless after firing the heavy lazers.

The excess power required from the heavy lazers means the Thulagos sports an impressive rating 300 point-defence system between the primary array and secondary turrets.

However, the Thulagos has one major weakness. With no secondary particle beams, it has no weaponry in its rear arc beyond the point-defence turrets. While its agility is sufficient to cover this gap in most circumstances, the Xyriats have been known to exploit this weakness. By catching an unwary Thulagos with their tractor beams  and turning it to face away from the Xyriat vessel, the Xyriats can hold the helpless victim outside of the Thulagos’ rear PD range, while within range of their own light torpedoes, where it can be crippled safely. While hardly a unique vulnerability to the Thulagos, the destroyer is a high-value target, which has meant more than one Thulagos loss to capture. In at least one of these instances, a demand for surrender directed at the lower-ranking males has led to a mutiny and the Xyriats capturing the destroyer without a shot.

Isanagas Class Missile Frigate

The Isanagas Missile Frigate is the Matriarchal Navy’s principle missile vessel. Three external missile pods provide the bulk of the vessel’s firepower and the modularity of the pods means they can be quickly reloaded or replaced with mission-specific missile pods.

An older vessel, some of Isanagas have been put into service as light transports, replacing the missile pods with supply canisters, though this is uncommon.

The missile pods are supplemented by a single spinal-mount lazer cannon and a rating 180 particle-beam arrays and point-defence turrets.

While it has fair shields for a vessel of its size, the Isanagas has only average speed and manoeuvrability, making it comparatively fragile.

Lillours Class Frigate

The Lillours Frigate is the most numerous of the Xygritt capital ships. A hull that leant itself to modification, the Lillours and its variants serve a wide range of roles throughout the fleet.

The basic Lillours frigate serves as an anti-ship platform. While only lightly protected with shields and a rating 60 point-defence system, the Lillours mounts a dozen particle beam turrets.

As with many of the smaller Xygritt vessels, the Lillours has little to no firepower in the rear, making it vulnerable particularly to Xyriat tractor beams. However, as such a small vessel, the Lillours is less likely to be targeted during a pitched battle, and thus this is not as larger a disadvantage as on higher-priority targets, such as the Thulagos.

Lillours-OX Class Escort Frigate

The Lillours-OX is the smallest dedicated escort vessel in the Matriarchal Navy. Frequently seen in the company of large vessels, the Lillours-OX is the oldest variant of the frigate.

The Lillours-OX removes half of the Lillours’ particle beam turrets to add additional point-defence systems, raising the rating to an impressive 420 on the Xygritt’s scale.

The Lillours-OX is expected to be slowly replaced over time with larger and newer Goulonat Defence Cruiser, but its sheer ubiquity means it is likely to be in service for a long time to come.

Participant

Before tomorrow’s release of the first of the last couple of waves of the Phystyulons, I thought I would, as I did with the Xygritts, release the full fluff for the Phystyulons (and their already-released vessels.)

(This will be a couple of post’s worth, if last time was anythign to go by!)

The Phystyulons

The Phystyulons (Phist-you-lons[1]) (literal translation, “the brother/sisterhood[2] of Physt”) are an elenthnar major power. While only the fourth biggest in terms of overall size, population and economic power, the Phystyulons have had and still have a significant influence on the elenthnar political sphere. The Phystyulons combine aspects of a nation, paramilitary power and religion all in one. The Phystyulons were founded by the quasi-mystical figure of Physt. They first grew to prominence in the onset of the late industrial/early digital era, but their earlier history – fragmented and steeped in legend – holds that the Phystyulons date back almost to pre-history[3].

The history of Urrot and Haron has been threaded by conflicts with the Phystyulons since they abruptly rose from a non-state actor to conquer several nations. The First Phystyulon War started in the ashes of the last (forth) Global War, in the late industrial age . Physt lead the Phystyulons in a series of surprise attacks on weaker and less developed nations on Urrot’s southernmost continent among the planet’s few desert regions.

One of the major points of conflict in the closing stages of the war revolved around the Phystyulons capturing and utilising the nascent space-faring technology to enter the space-race to reach Haron. This war marked the first time warfare came to Haron.

The Phystyulons were eventually defeated and Physt was believed to have been killed – but they retained much of the territory they had gained on both Urrot and Haron and from that point transitioned to a true state.

A discussion of the Phystyulons cannot be truly undertaken without first addressing Physt himself. Physt is the central figure to the Phystyulon mythology and culture both. A charismatic and cunning mastermind, Physt is a messianic figure, claiming to seek enlightenment and the cessation of violence through the acquisition of personal influence, talent and capability, though his methods in practise usually involve ruthless military action. Physt has vanished or seemingly been killed time and time again, only to re-appear, sometimes in a differing guise, years or decades later. Often but not always taking control of the Phystyulons (by one means of another), his reappearances tend to coincide with power struggles and herald a new round of major conflict between the Phystyulons and other elenthnar powers.

It is, even to the current time, unclear exactly what Physt is. His claims to immortality and longevity were derided for during that first war, but as the years and centuries have rolled by, it has become clear that whatever he is – an immortal, a fallen angel, a demon, an alien, a series of clones or surgically altered stand-ins or something else entirely – that Physt is something more than elenthnar.

Physt and his relationship to the machine intelligence KALAX is equally murky. KALAX first appeared during the Second Phystyulon War. Now believed to be the first true artificial sapience, KALAX was at first a command and control AI co-ordinator, providing assistance and oversight to generals in the conflict. It has often been implied that KALAX’s initial personality matrix was taken from Physt himself, but if so, any records from the period were destroyed in the wars that followed.

KALAX, like Physt, has faded into and out of history. Apparently destroyed on several occasions, KALAX always seems to return. During the digital age, KALAX on three occasions turned against the Phystyulons and organic life in general, sparking another round of conflict – and it has never been entirely clear even to the Phystyulons whether these attempts were part of Physt’s grand plans or not, nor even whether Physt himself was in the shadows, guiding it.

Since the dawn of the FTL age, however, KALAX has shown no tendencies for a repeat performance. Speculation abounds as to why – was it ”corrected,” did Physt’s plans change, or did the rising acceptance of digital and technological life have an effect – or did it just mellow with age?

The Phystyulons are typically bilingual, speaking both Zoxyriat and Zoiloiat. The latter is an early offshoot from the language family of Zot’Kor and, while once more widespread, is now only spoken in Phystyulon lands. While in modern times, the Zoiloiat and Zoxyriat languages now share many common words due to some lingual drift (and the ever-effective Xyriat Hegemony’s cultural dominance); the former is recognisable by the different use of grammar and compound words.

The Phystyulons use the base-twelve numerical system. Partly this is due to their foundations in Urrot’s southern continent, but also because the number three has special significance.

Three-sided pyramids in particular have been a distinctive feature of Phystyulon architecture and engineering, from their ancient history right to the current time of the shape of the lazer pylons on the modern fleet.

The modern Phystyulon nation holds no territory on Urrot – the Phystyulons were pushed off the planet at the end of the Forth Phystyulon War – but has a substantial presence on Haron and Kalaor. Their out-system holdings are considerable, though not as extensive the largest elenthnar powers.

The Phystyulons governance has been subject to much variance over the centuries. At times, it is directly lead by Physt or sometimes KALAX; at others, a cabal of generals or quasi-religious priests hold control (sometimes not equanimously). At still others, another influential leader will take complete control.

The Phystyulons have outlasted many of their erstwhile foes from the early years, (The Hegemony being a notable exception.) In particular, during the first several wars, into the FTL age, their chief foe was a coalition of nations forming a global defensive pact. This polity – roughly analogous to the human UNSC – eventually disappeared as the FTL age progressed. The various former member-states were not interesting in extending the defensive pact outside the home system. The Hegemony, in particular, demanded greater and greater amounts of control as its influence increased. The number of nations on the Zon system reduced over time as many smaller countries were absorbed into the larger political entities (many by economic and cultural osmosis to the Hegemony). The pact was dissolved shortly after the Hegemony pulled out altogether, when it was refused permanent oversight. The remaining member nations could not economically sustain the maintenance of essentially another army, and the pact collapse. So that the Hegemony got its way after all; by dint of being the most powerful and influential power in the home system, it tacitly took on most of the role of policing the home system. Rather than a united pact, the Hegemony instead has individual agreements and treaties with the remaining nations left.

The Phystyulon’s technology level is only a step behind the Xyriat Hegemony. The Phystyulons have a long history of experimental technology and adapting it from other sources – including aliens. They have, for most of their history, been at the cutting edge of elenthnar tech. Unlike the Xyriat Hegemony, their progression is more gradual than the punctuated equilibrium of the Hegemony, and as of 2344, they are at approximate parity.

The most notable technological difference is that the Phystyulons do not use GV drives at all. Instead, they use a variant of Dro’Sanla teleport drives. This system dates back to the Fifth Phystyulon War. This was notable as being the first major elenthnar conflict in the FTL age. Physt returned with KALAX and together, they led the nascent Phystyulon fleet to the Sovatix system and the third planet, where scouts had found the almost-intact wreckage of an ancient alien spacecraft.

Sovatix III was a habitable (HPE-B) planet, the second to be discovered. A ten-year long struggle ensued, but in the end, though they lost half their territory on Kalaor and a third on Haron, the Phystyulons managed to secure Sovatix III and the alien wreckage for themselves. Physt renamed the world Grakonraktor (approximate translation “gates to enlightenment/heaven”), which would become the capital.

From the wreckage of the alien craft, the Phystyulons developed their Dro’Sanla drives[5]. The difficulty of integrating what was an early magitech system into early FTL-age Phystyulon technology meant that much of the system was essentially a black box, and development of the Phystyulon Dro’Sanla has been slower than that of the GV drives of their competitors – indeed, the modern version is no faster than that of the Xyriat Hegemony. Most the development has been lateral, such as decreasing size and increasing efficiency per ton and the modifications to also allow it to use the UCDR Node stations[6].

The Phystyulon vessels thus lack the requirement for a GV core in their structure and so are markedly different in shape to other elenthnar vessels. Instead, they have two (or more, in the case of larger vessels) Nazograk[7] Cores. These cores, filled with what appears to cracking electricity, generate the necessarily thaumic field to power the Dro’Sanla drive. The emanations are sufficiently dangerous they have to be placed away from the main hull, though the current generation has significantly better housing, so they do not need to be as prominent as in previous starship generations.

While a lesser issue than for vessels with GV drives, thermal dispersion is still a significant issue for elenthnar technology. The Phystyulons take the approach similar to the Wodef, using a large passive emitter, rather than a thermal exhaust. The Phystyulons take it one step further, with all but the upper super-structures and larger weapon emplacements coated with a thick armour belt, which also serves as the emission system. The glossy, almost featureless surface incandesces when viewed through the infrared spectrum, making the vessels seem hellishly lit.

Phystyulon sublight drives, shields, tractor beams, leech beams and spacial disruption systems are on a par with the average elenthnar navy, and they sport average manoeuvrability (though their larger capital ships possess good agility for vessels of their size). Their armour technology is of an advanced composite which has a low weight to protection ratio.

The Phystyulons have had a long association with lasers and, later, lazers. They were the first to develop functioning energy weapons, as far back as the First Phystyulon War. Lazers thus comprise their primary armament and – not unlike the Strayvians – these are both advanced and have a very high output-to-mass ratio, but are otherwise conventional. Doctrine has a series of very large spinal-mount lazer cannons. The distinctive lazer pylons, whose three-sided pyramid-tipped emission arrays have been synonymous with the Phystyulons for centuries, rise from the upper and lower surfaces to provided all-around fire. Traditionally, all these weapons are configured for discharge in the red visible light spectrum, though different factions or service branches will sometimes change the colour (and their paint schemes) so something else to distinguish them.

Point-defence is provided by dozens of smaller lazer emplacements. The Phystyulons have no systems akin to interdiction defence, instead relying on the superior performance of these lazers, which are on a par with that of the UCDR.

Torpedo technology is somewhat primitive by comparison, and only a handful of vessels carry them. Unlike the Wodef, the Phystyulons have not focussed on heavier energy weapons, relying on weight of power from their main lazer cannons.

Missile technology is on a par with the other elenthnar powers. The Phystyulons do not make heavy use of missiles outside of point-defence warheads or the ubiquitous rocket-armed light vessels found at almost every armed force through Phystyulon history. What missile vessels they do have tend to be larger ships which carry racks of vertical-launch warheads.

Railguns form the final element of the Phystyulon arsenal. Unlike the Xyriats, Phystyulons have never developed heavier forms of railguns. Instead, their weapons they have an excellent good damage-to-weight ratio and actually slightly better performance in effective speed and accuracy than those of the Xyriat Hegemony – though this comes at the expense of high power requirements (often capping the rate of fire) and a larger volume.

As of 2344, the Phystyulons are in the final stages of a decade-long civil war between opposing internal factions which split the previous cabal. Garan Haspastor, the Nastidron (lit. grand general of all) of Perkaskor is currently winning the war, and it appears only a matter of time before she reunites the Phystyulons again.

Neither Physt nor KALAX have been seen for seven decades (the longest absence to date), though rumour holds that Haspastor is desperately seeking for one of KALAX’s lost cores.

The Phystyulon Numinous Star Navy is designated by the (Romanised) ship prefix PXT (Phystuxarutaklorot (rough translation: star-vessel (taklorot) of Physt’s divine/enlightened will (xar)). The wet-navy forces – which the Phystyulons still have in moderate numbers, especially on Haron, Kalaor and Grakonraktor, use PXR (Phystyuxaryrot) (rough translation: vessel of Physt’s divine/enlightened will).

[1]Note: Throughout all following names, “yu” is a single syllable (i.e. never a “y”-sound followed by a “u”) – “yu” is the Romanisation of the modification to the Zoiloiat preposition equivalent of “of” following a proper noun.
    [2]The term in Zoiloiat is a gender-neutral plural.
    [3]It should be noted in passing, that as a quasi-religious order of fanatics, the Phystyulons take a rather violently dim view of comparison of their name with co-incidentally phonetically similar human slang.
    [4]A point at which technology comparative to that of the late 1940s/early 1950s on Earth.
    [5]It is now strongly believed that the craft was the Nurathosian vessel Melatheenee, lost without trace with all hands almost four hundred years earlier. As the remains of the craft are among the Phystyulon’s most treasured relics, the UCDR has never been able to confirm this.
    [6]If the speculation is correct, Node magitech was developed barely eight years before the Melatheenee was discovered and thus was not compatible.
    [7]Lit: “lightning of heaven/enlightenment”

Zokukarn Class Superdreadnought

The imposing bulk of an approaching Zokutarn is cause for a good deal of dread in an opposing force. At an 1115-metre length and little short of a kilometre wide, the Zokutarn’s sheer size is intimidating. This is compounded by the Zokutarn’s considerable manoeuvrability – it can manoeuvre as ably as a typical cruiser.

The reason for this unusual focus is – as with all the Phystyulon capital ships – a compromise to maintain the combat effectiveness of the huge number of spinal-mount weapons in can bring to bear.

No less than six Class 75 lazer beam cannons and six Class 60 lazer cannons provide an enormous amount of firepower. But even they pale in comparison to the twin spinal-mount Class 300 beam cannons it carries. With an optimal target envelop range of 3.3 light seconds, these devastating weapons are roundly feared. A power core smaller than the Zokutarn’s massive bulk simply could not even power one weapon, let alone two.

The Zokutarn’s secondary weapons are no small shake, either. The forward salvo is supplemented by a pair of triple-fire torpedo tubes for closer range. Twenty Class 60 and eighteen Class 45 pylon lazers provided all-around fire and a hundred and twenty point-defence lazers complete the armament.

The Zokutarn packs considerable shields and armour to top its massive offensive loadout. The Zokutarns are the flagships of the fleet and their reputation is almost legend.

Urkotrazarak Dreadnought

The Urkotrazarak Dreadnought is a heavy long-range lazer platform. Equipped with no less than thirty of the massive new Class 75 pylons, the Urkotrazarak’s all-round lazer fire exceeds that even of the Zokutarn.

Nor does it skimp on the forward spinal mounts, with no less than six Class 75 and four Class 60 spinal-mount lazer beam cannons and even a triple-burst torpedo launcher.

A hundred and twenty lazer turrets provide considerable anti-fighter and anti-missile protection or a lethal short range knock-out punch.

With excellent shields and armour and superior manoeuvrability, the Urkotrazarak is a tough nut to crack.

Rylorz Class Artillery Battlecruiser

The Rylorz (“Castigator”) Artillery Battlecruiser has a complex history. Originally conceived as much smaller vessel, the Rylorz was intended to provide long-range fire support with railguns to the fleet. The Phystyulon’s standard Phazra triple railgun system was to be mounted in a series of seven turrets, providing a much greater arc of fire than the fixed mounts on vessels like the Sylor Barrage Destroyer.

However, the sheer volume – despite the relatively low mass – of the Phazra systems meant that to physically accommodate the seven turrets, the Rylorz ended up being 67% larger than the original specifications, making it bigger than the Lokutar Battleship. However, one major advantage was discovered during this process. The distinctly larger power core the larger hull required had enough spare power for a previously unexpected benefit. While experimenting with the weapon systems the design engineers discovered that the additional power could be routed into the Phazras, essentially over-charging them but cutting their recharge time in half. The durable Phazra arrays only needed relatively minor modifications in components and stressing for this process to be made reliable enough for standard operation procedure – a testament to the excellent Phazra engineering design. The reloading system – which was already being rebuilt to accommodate for the turret – was further improved to safely handle the increased rate of fire.

The Rylorz does not possess any other capital ships weapons outside of the seven triple-railgun Phazra systems, but has an impressive one hundred and twenty point-defence lazer turrets for self-defence. It also has excellent manoeuvrability for a vessel of its size class, the same as the heavy cruisers half it size.

Despite its actual size being akin to an average dreadnought, the Rylorz is nonetheless still classified as a “battlecruiser.”

The Rylorz turrets have been so successful that low-cost versions of that the design is being copied to ground defences and orbital installations to re-mount older Phazra systems.

Lokutar Missile Battleship

The Lokutar Missile Battleship is the Phystyulon’s principal fire-support vessel. While the much smaller Vistrixons are limited to swarming an enemy with rockets, the Lokutar uses its twenty vertical launch missile racks in a more conventional fashion.

With respectable defences and manoeuvrability, the Lokutar is able to withstand significant fire, unlike a group of smaller vessels. Around eighty point-defence lasers ensure it has not a little protection from return missile fire (though it can just as easily mount its own point-defence missiles is required). Four Class 60 lazer cannon pylons provide some limited discouragement against capital ships, but unlike most Phystyulon ships, the Lokutar doesn’t have any spinal-mount weapons itself.

Participant

Nakrozar Class Battlecruiser

The Nakrozar Battlecruiser is a mid-sized line combat vessel. With the typical above-average agility possessed by Phystyulon capital ships, it also has strong armour and tough shields.

Its primary offense consists of four Class 75 spinal-mount lazer cannons, supplemented by two Class 60s. It uses a dozen of the larger Class 60 lazer pylons provided it with better all-round fire. I can thus support a lighter line of vessels from slightly further away.

No less than around eighty point-defence lazer turrets are scattered around the hull, making attacking a Nakrozar at close range a dangerous proposition if they are not busy defending against missiles.

Phystyukor Class Heavy Cruiser

The Phystyukor – which translates to (ironically) “Fist of Physt” is the archetypal Phystyulon cruiser. It has average mobility for a cruiser, but the compactness of Phystyulon drive an FTL technology means that it has almost twice the shielding of the average vessel of its size.

Primary weapons are provided in the case of heavy, spinal-mount fixed beam emplacements – two Class 75 lazer cannons and four Class 45 providing a powerful mid-to-long range punch. With an effective target envelope range of 1.67 lightseconds, the Class 75 cannons significantly out-range most galactic standard competitors.

From the upper and lower armour belt, all-round weapons fire is provided by the distinctive lazer pylons with the three-sided pyramid-tipped emission arrays have been synonymous with the Phystyulons for centuries. The Phystyukor’s pylons are twelve Class 45 arrays.

As typical for Phystyulon vessels, point-defence is provided by numerous small independent turrets scattered throughout the hull and armour plate – and some of which channel through the main pylon emitters. Most are less than five metres in size, but are armed with lazer beam cannons with powerful long-range capability. The Phystyukor has approximately forty of these weapons. However, not all the turrets have independent targeting as the systems are designed to fire for effect as a group. As a result, they are extremely capable of dealing with missile salvo or fighter group, but can be more easily overwhelmed by repeated salvo attacks in a short period of time. However, this system shines especially in the secondary anti-ship role, allowing each array of turrets to co-ordinate attacks to literally slice and melt chunks of an enemy vessel right off.

Ortukat Electronics Warfare Cruiser

The Ortukat (“sentry”) Electronics Warfare Cruiser places the most advanced electronics systems at the disposal of the Phystyulon Star Navy. The expansive sensor and communications arrays are located in two large pyramids either side of the main superstructure. The vessel also possesses a secondary communications array for when the primary devices are in use to create jamming fields in concert with one of the two ECM installations located in front of the superstructure.

Two Class 75 lazer beam cannons run down the spine of the vessel, providing it with a not-insignificant anti-ship strike of its own.

In addition to providing ECM protection to its squadron, the Ortukat also provides more aggressive defence I the form of eighty lazer turrets and four point-defence missile racks.

Hrastyukar Class Escort Cruiser

The Hrastyukar (“Revenge of Hrast”) Escort Cruiser provided additional point-defence to the Phystyulon fleet, most typically one working with a pair of Phystyukors.

Unlike many such escort cruisers, the Hrastyukar has no long-range point-defence, instead relying on the already impressive range of the standard Phystyulon lazer turrets. It boasts nearly a hundred and twenty such emplacements.

The Hrastyukar also has considerable anti-ship punch, with two Class 60 and two Class 45 spinal lazer cannons and lazer pylons with another six Class 45 lazers to cover all angles. While it only has average manoeuvrability, it has slightly more armour and only 10% less shields than the Phystyukor.

Hrastyukar-Za Class Escort Cruiser

The Hrastyukar-Za is a variant of the Hrastyukar. It removes the spinal-mount Class 45 lazers in favour of increasing the shield strength by 30%. Hrastyukar-Zas are used more defensively than the regular Hrastyukar, having greater longevity. They are typically fielded when dealing with missile-heavy enemies, for whom the escort ships are often a priority. The extra shielding allows the cruiser to stand a much greater amount of punishment.

Hazarak Class Light Cruiser

The Hazarak (roughly analogously translated to “missile cavalry”) is designed as a raider or harassing unit. They typically operate in threes, often without dedicated escort support.

The Hazarak has above-average manoeuvrability for a light cruiser, more than the fleet average for the Phystyulons. It has a good turn of speed which lets it flank more easily. Armed with three Class 60 spinal mount lazer cannons and six Class 45 lazer cannons on pylons, it is capable of dealing significant damage, especially in numbers. It has strong shields, though only light armour.

Forty point-defence lazer turrets provide adequate protection against missile fire and add some short-range power. The Hazarak’s main defence against missiles is typically not being a priority target, or rushing the missile ships themselves to try and destroy them before they fire.

Kablak Class Destroyer

The Kablak Destroyer (whose name translates to a curved melee sword equivalent to a sabre) is one of the major workhorses of the Phystyulon fleet. With good manoeuvrability and defences for a vessel of its size, the Kablak possesses a massive offensive punch that exceeds vessels of twice its size. The vessel is centred around two huge Class 75 lazer beam cannons, which allow it to out-range almost all other comparable vessels. A trio of class 45 lazer pylons round out its other weapons. Forty point-defence lazer systems provide further defence and a nasty sting at close range.

Sylor Class Barrage Destroyer

The Sylor Barrage Destroyer is the Phystyulon Star Navy’s primary railgun vessel. Taking advantage of the compact nature of Phystyulon technology, it crams a great deal of firepower into a light and inexpensive hull.

Slightly smaller than the Kablak – with which it shares a great deal of internal systems – it has improved armour and equivalent speed and agility.

Instead of the Kablak’s lazer cannons, however, it mounts four Phazra (a roughly analogue translation would be something like “viper”) triple railgun emplacements. Phazra systems have a long and storied history in the Phystyulons, and the current generation are no exception, Trading less mass for volume, the highly reliable Phazra system have a distinctive triangular housing 36.4 metres across the widest point and 85 metres long. However, most of the space inside is taken up with a light-weight solid-state biopolymer which provides the magnetic acceleration to the railguns.

With few moving parts, the Phazras are very tolerant to damage and need virtually no maintenance. In fact, they are so reliable that they are only replaced simply when a newer, better version is available. The Phystyulons have a massive stockpile of older Phazra systems which have a projected life of several centuries in atmosphere and almost indefinitely in space. Old Phazra systems usually find new homes in planetary defence installations and orbital arrays.

Arkaz Torpedo Frigate

The Arkaz is one of the few dedicated torpedo vessels in the Phystyulon Star Navy. As Phystyulon torpedoes are short ranged and comparatively low tech, they are supplementary weapons most often used for some limited anti-cluster effect, rather than the more typical long-range anti-ship operations that most powers that have torpedoes use.

The Arkaz is as such, a light, agile vessel with surprisingly good shielding and armour for its size, to best close to the optimum weapons range. It mounts four double-fire torpedo tubes – two forward and four rear, though power consumption typically prevents it from using both forward and rear and once.

The Arkaz has two score of light lazer cannon turrets for close defence, which also means that it can be quite dangerous to engage at close range.

Syrotukan Class Escort Frigate

The Syrotukan’s role is defence, typically of smaller groups of escort or larger capital ships. It has good shields, speed and armour for its size – like many Phystyulon escort vessels; it expects to get disproportionate fire.

Like the Vistrixon, it mounts a single pylon configured for point-defence lazer emission rather than capital ship fire and sixteen other lazer turrets on the lower hull.

The Syrotukan also boasts four vertical launch point-defence missile tubes to provide long-range protection to multiple flight groups or capital ships.

Vistrixon Class Strike Corvette

The Vistrixon comes from a very long line of missile-armed light combat vehicles running right back to the missile cycles of the First Phystyulon War. The upper-hull mounted missile pods even homage the classic design structure of those ground vehicles, the modern equivalents which serve at all levels of the Phystyulon’s ground and space forces. The Vistrixon is the largest current vessel to have such a paradigm, though in the past (and likely future) larger vessels have filled such a role; one of the earliest Lokutar prototypes was such a vessel, though the more conventional design was the final result.

With minimal shields and virtually no appreciable armour, the Vistrixon relies on speed and agility as its main defence, rivalling many order-of-magnitudes smaller bombers in proportional manoeuvrability.

The Vistrixon’s primary weapons are the missile pods, typically filled low-tech semi-guided rockets for a maximum salvo spread. Deployed in groups of three, usually with a Pylonaz Cutter for additional defence, they make a charge towards a vulnerable point in the enemy line.

While the range of the rockets means they can fight from medium ranges, the Vistrixions are most dangerous closer in, where their lighter weapon can cause severe damage. They have two light lazer cannon spinal mounts. The armour belt only mounts eight lighter point-defence laser turrets for coverage of the lower hull, but these are still capable of dealing an alarming amount of highly accurate damage. The Vistrixon mounts a single pylon. However, rather than be used for a capital-scale laser cannon, this pylon is configured for maximum short-range intensity bursts. While many of the larger vessels can supplementary PD lazer systems which use the pylon emitters right alongside the main lazers, the Vistrixon is one of the few to have a pylon dedicated to that purpose alone, giving it further punch to anti-ship or anti-fighter operations.

Pylonaz Class Cutter

The Pylonaz Cutter is a light vessel whose primary role is providing light point defence protection. Deployed singly to support a Vistrixon flight group, pairs are used interchangeably with a Syrotukan Escort Corvette.

With light shields and even a little armour, the Pylonaz is very fast and agile, relying on this its main defence. Offensively, it carries a wide range of nearly forty point-defence lazer arrays. While mostly used to protect its fellows from missile-fire, the Pylonaz is capable of inflicting serious damage on an unshielded and armour-stripped vessel, able to easily capitalise on the rents in armour to devastate a ship’s internal structure.

Of note, like the Vistrixon, the Pylonaz’s Nazograk Cores had to be angled off the centreline due the vessel’s small size relative to the core. While this slightly reduces their efficiency, the saving in volume space is considerable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.