Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Iron Age Village

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Further to the Romans v Silures battle over Christmas Romans v Silures Battle TWW it became obvious that the Romans would want to punish a village or two. Which was a problem as I had nothing for them to attack/ be gloriously defended by the locals.

Being a skinflint I rummaged around for some bits and made this IRON AGE VILLAGE : not a perfect answer perhaps but it will do (especially if it is going to be trashed by caligae).

Details here:Iron Age village on Corrigenda

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

Very nice. Do you have a burnt to the ground version too?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Let me get my Zippo…!

Not yet.

Thanks Ruarigh.

Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Participant

Lovely! Want to see more pics with minis.

find me
    www.iliadagamestudio.com
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/iliadagamestudio/
    [email protected]

Thomaston
    Participant

Very cool, is this 6mm?

Tired is enough.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Yes, 6mm – should have made it clear.

The whole thing is sort of growing – I was originally just using some 6mm Irregular figures I’ve had for years to play around with various rules sets. But the idea of the campaign got to me and I am now building stuff and looking to make the figure bases look better and buy some more. Doh!

OB
    Participant

I like that.  Should you your Silures meet with success you can add another ditch and bank and then another until you have an Oppida.  I have the old Bellona British Hill Fort but have done nothing with it yet.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Oh I have delusions of grandeur that I am trying to keep in check!

This would only be a small village rather than a tribal centre and the basic earth bank  (and possible – notional off terrain base here – ditch) with wooden palisade. There would be other more complex forts around, like Sudbrook on the Severn coast a couple of miles from where I live, or Llanmelin Fort just north of me. Llanmelin is sometimes posited as the Silures ‘capital’ but there is no real evidence for this. It started off with a single bank and ditch and ‘accumulated’ more over the years with a redeveloped gateway/entrance added a hundred years after the start of development.

So who knows where it may lead!

Bellona! Crikey! How long have you had that?

I had the dragon’s teeth (OO/HO) that dwarfed my 6mm micro-tanks in the 1970s.

I’m ashamed to say I never got around to painting the dragon’s teeth either!

OB
    Participant

Llanmellin  sounds like an interesting story of increasing power.

The Bellona Hill Fort was picked up for next to nothing in a Department Store clear out.  God knows how long it had been there.  I should do something with it.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Llanmelin stands about a mile and a half outside Caerwent which was Venta Silurum, the Roman capital for the Silures. The theory used to be that the Silures were moved down from their old tribal capital at Llanmelin by the Romans to the plain, next to an inlet of the Severn, now the Nedern brook/Troggy .

But current thinking seems to be that the Silures were a loose association of extended family groups or clans living in scattered settlements and probably didn’t have a ‘capital’ as we imagine it. Whether the hill forts were permanently occupied is up for debate.

My small single rampart settlement works well as a smaller village base for one of these groups. Maybe they will move to one of the big camps if things get tough.

(Hang on what’s that about central heating? Hmm – freedom vs warm dry feet in Wales? Let’s not be hasty about this resistance unto death business).

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nice looking vil!  Looking forwards to how your campaign goes.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.