Home Forums WWII Iron. Cross rules

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Iron Cross is a fast play set of miniatures rules that has an interesting activation system that gamers may want to use with other sets of rules, including tactical boardgames.

I have done a blog post that looks at the anti-tank system and included a look at the activation mechanics.

Link.

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/iron-cross-t34-v-tiger-i.html

Participant

Hi Tim, I have just double checked and the blog entry is correct. The rules say that if you pass a reaction test, you take an action before the opponent.

There is a sort of half way house – units can in effect do two things in their action, such as fire and move or move and fire, but they can’t fire twice and they can’t move twice – though they can do a thing called a Rapid move. In those situations that a player has declared a two part action, in a successful interrupt, the play would follow like this ;

Interrupt unit acts first, then the active player completes both parts of their action and then the interrupt person can complete the second part of their action ….. If their interrupt had included one of these two part orders.

I agree it does seem counter intuitive …… But the interrupt player still has to roll 3+ plus any command tokens and morale markers that are with the unit (though a 6 is always successful!), so it does take away that certainty of the ambushing unit getting the first shot off and therefore reduces player influence on the game (good for solitaire play in that respect). I suppose you could add a +1 modifier when reacting against an ambushing weapon that is in cover and that has not been used that turn. That certainly seems arguable for anti-tank guns, the ideal ambushing weapon.

I suppose in game terms, the justification is that the firing unit was spotted before it could act. I think some will like the unpredictability of the rule and the tension it brings and thereby actually helps simulation and others will feel that the rule weakens the simulations.

The rules are a little bit awkwardly written, so you find yourself at times going back in repeatedly to make sure that you have ‘got it’. This is in contrast to their Sword and Spear rules, which are innovative, but well set out.

Participant

I love these rules, the interrupt rule is a very good idea, we are going to addapt these to Chechen war which i think would work perfectly, played about 5 games so far with these rules, need a tweak here and there but then again just about every rule book does, but you can tell these have been played tested alot.

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

Participant

I always think if you are never happy with a rule, but like the rules as a whole, just change them to suit your gameplay, i’ve played these rules a number of times now and compared to say “Bolt Action” they are way ahead, i gamed those rules in a number of tabletop actions and i gave my rule set away because they are so poor.

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.