Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Irregular cavalry that aren't cossacks?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bandit
    Participant

I’m wondering what else I am missing in the scheme of irregular cavalry. Irregular not necessarily being partisan fighters but mounted cavalry meant to perform the duties typically associated with “irregulars” units.

Among the Russian forces there were Cossacks, Kalmucks, Bashkirs

Among the (late war) Prussians there were also Cossacks as well as Friekorps cavalry contingents.

The Polish had Krakus.

The French (late war) had the d’Eclaireurs-a-Cheval.

The Austrians also had Friekorps cavalry contingents.

Have I missed any? I’m guessing I have. Know of others?

Cheers,

The Bandit

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

If you’re willing to consider the Ottomans many of their mounted units filled that role. Poorer sipahis raised by timariot, Balkan and Anatolia volunteers; in North Africa many Maghribi and Tuareg cavalry.

grizzlymc
    Participant

Mamelukes, Indians, I would be surprised if the Spanish and the balkans didn’t have irregular cavalry.

Im a bit surprised that eclareuers are irregular.

Bandit
    Participant

I would be surprised if the Spanish and the balkans didn’t have irregular cavalry.

I’m thinking they did but don’t know what they were called.

Well, they weren’t irregular like cossacks were irregular, but they were assigned those jobs: scouting, anti-partisan / cossack actions, etc… rather than being used as formed battle cavalry. Which all light cavalry were meant to be scouts and such, chasseurs à cheval, hussars, jägers zu pferd and the like were all commonly used on the battlefield in a formed, battlefield cavalry role. I’m unaware of the d’Eclaireurs-a-Cheval ever being used that way.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Who said they were?

They were scouts (clue’s in the name). That’s a role that any light cavalry can undertake, it’s just that Napoleon was so shit up (before he buggered off back to Paris for a prior engagement, leaving the Grande Armee to die in the Russian winter) by marauding Cossacks during the Russian misadventure that he decided the Garde needed even more fancy light cavalry with a fancy name in fancy uniforms to spot them coming next time he invaded .

The above may be considered an over-simplification by some. I don’t care, it’s fairly accurate, live with it.

"I'm not signing that"

grizzlymc
    Participant

Connard

The Great Captain (Hallowed be His name) did not bugger off to Paris.  He lead a disciplined retreat from the front, a long way in front.

Next you will be representing Him with a 3mm figure.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I stand corrected, but even sitting corrected I’d be taller than le Petit

"I'm not signing that"

Bandit
    Participant

Who said they were?

I suppose that silliness was me. My point was simply that I don’t know of them ever fighting as battle cavalry while other light cavalry units of the French did.

But getting back to the original question rather than trying to figure out how tall Not Connard Sage is that when sitting he is still somehow over 5’6″…

What other irregular cavalry units are people aware of?

Cheers,

The Bandit

MartinR
    Participant

Bashi Bazouks? not very nice chaps.

A 2 second google turned up 18 regiments of Bengali Irregular cavalry I’d not heard of before. Also the Isipingo Mounted Rifles in Africa in the 1870s.

Cheers

Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.