Home Forums General General It takes me an hour…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

to paint a 6mm infantry on average.
    How long does it take you to paint your figures and are you happy with the result/finish/time taken?

Participant

28mm unique figs take 3 or 4 hours.
    28mm uniformed grunts get painted production line style and it comes out to about 1.5 hours per fig, maybe less. Sadly, most of the periods I play require a lot of unique figs (rag-tag African militia, zombies, scruffy Ronin, etc).
    On 15mm miniatures I spend about half that amount of time or less because I don’t do highlights on every colour.
    This excludes time spent basing.
    I am happy with the results I get; they are not the best, but I like them.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

AB, I am much faster than that doing 10mm – but then again, my figures will not look as nice as yours.

I deliberately aim to do ‘good enough for wargames’. I think if I only liked one period I would take more care, perhaps seeing at much as a collection as I do  playing pieces.

Also, I do not like painting, but I like the satisfaction of ending up with an army.

I do a production run of 16 figures on 4 lolly sticks, block paint, satin varnish, ink wash, matt varnish.

Basing can actually take up quite a bit of time.

Participant

I proved to myself one weekend that I can paint, base and completely finish an 18-man WSS 15mm unit in 3 hours from start to finish…

Block paint, shade and minor highlight…

Mike

Participant

Weeks …..

Participant

At times it is hard to quantify the time it takes to paint a 25/28mm figure.  Sometimes I can have 20 figures in a batch and whizz through them in 6 hours only stopping for coffee.

Other times it can take twice as long, certain figures I can paint by what seems like muscle memory as I have painted so many of them.  I tend to paint one figure as a test to see which is the best style for that figure, for example as I am painting Spencer Smiths at the moment I have found less is more on these figures.  Adding less detail and minimum use of ink washes means I can paint these figures faster than others.  WWII figures I can paint quicker than SYW or Napoleonic and cavalry I can paint fairly fast.

What I have found spending more time on cleaning, preparation, undercoat of a figure, horse or equipment speeds painting no end.

Participant

I speed paint. 3-4 stands in an evening.

I realized long ago that I don’t have the patience to make the little works of art that a lot of people do, so I just get them to table standard and content myself with that.

Participant

Yup. 3-4 hrs for a unique 28mm fig. About half that per figure for a unit of like figs. And I agree with William Harley that cleaning, prep and undercoating makes all the difference in the final result. I prime with black, white, brown and clear depending on what I want the finished fig to look like. And since I paint with cheap craft paints…

Regards,

The Gorb

Left Hand Miniatures
    http://www.lefthandminiatures.com
    Graydon Gorby, Owner

Participant

Painting is the bane of my hobby life. For some reason I have never got the hang of painting en masse, I must admit to being quite envious of those that can.

Participant

The answer is to have shockingly low standards 😉

Participant

The answer is to have shockingly low standards ;-)

Not so much a 3ft rule then as a ‘take your glasses off and they look just fine’ rule…

Participant

To paint en masse you have to aim to paint a unit,not the individual figures. What looks amazing in photos on the internet can’t be seen on the tabletop while playing a game.

The photos people put up of figures on various forum are lovely, but the majority of these people are collectors and painters, NOT wargamers. They are painting skirmish forces at best not whole armies…

Quantity has a quality all of its own…

Mike

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.