Home Forums Renaissance Italian Wars Gendarmes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Some time ago I made up what I thought was all of a box of Perry Mounted Men at Arms 1450-1500.

It appeared when I came to transfer the sprues to the bits box (spare heads etc – always useful) that either my basing scheme was weird or my maths appalling, and there were two spare horses and bodies left over.

I wondered what to do with them – Generals, dogsbodies, markers or something – or wait and add them the next unnecessary unit when it inevitably came along.

Then I read OB’s posts about his conversions for 1513. That and following his leads to the Army Royal at stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk I felt intimidated and inspired to have a go myself.

Greenstuff to hand – off we went:

Gendarmes 1

Here are the two lucky lads, one obviously a little brighter than the other (he at least has a head). They have the beginnings of the caparison and I planned on them both having full embroidered skirts and coats by the time they were finished. I only had odd arms left so one heavily armoured arm each and one, well – not.

Gendarme 2

We’ll follow this blokes progress for now.

Gendarme 3

Now with his skirt and most of the coat done

Gendarme 4

Unbased but with a lick of paint.

Gendarme 5

Gendarme 6

Work continues on the second chap and then some thought needed about basing – still not really sure where these guys fit in with things in my armies.

All in all I’m moderately pleased with this one;  the putty pushing needs a lot of work on the smoothing generally and the crispness in (small) bits of added armour. Although the paint job is far from perfect it masks a multitude of sins and at tabletop ranges it won’t look too bad. More to follow if I push on with Gendarme type 2 (no feathery hat on him though, which is a disappointment ).

So thanks to OB, and Stuart and his workbench, for the inspiration – anything good is down to their lessons – the cock ups are all my own!

Participant

You did the damask on the barding too! I’m currently doing the same on some Essex 15mm Gendarmes. 

I think you should be very pleased with what you’ve achieved with those figures-they look great.  You’ve really got the Green Stuff working to produce nice natural lines.  Splendid-and now you have some unique figures too.

Stuart’s blog is a blast, as you say inspiring and intimidating.  I’ve been pondering on making plumes too.  If it works I’ll post something.

Thanks for the kind words on my blog too Guy.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Yes please on the plumes!

Thanks for the kind words – you were the initial inspiration for this foray – and in 15mm too!

I can barely see what I’m doing in 28.

Thanks again for posting your stuff on here and for your blog too.

Participant

That is some great work! I too ha e now bought some Green Stuff ready to do some conversion therapy. I have an idea for some conversions on my 15mm sci-do minis. Thanks for sharing.

Participant

Truly inspiring. Very effective use of a limited color palette, too.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

Thanks!

On with the next guy!

Participant

Not wanting to sound too gushing, but that really is some outstanding brushwork. It would never have occurred to me to paint the surcoat and caparison in that way and it is incredibly effective.  Colour me seriously impressed.

Participant

Well thank you!

And now I have stopped strutting around the room I have to confess the idea came from

Stuart’s workbench

via OB’s Gendarme conversions and blog

I did the putty and brushwork however – so like the man who sawed Damien Hirst’s cow in half, I had a hand in it.

Participant

Slightly off topic but one of my friends used to work for Damien Hirst creating his spot /dot paintings.  She was one of a bunch of young art students stuck in a freezing warehouse splodging dots onto a canvas.  Hirst’s input (beyond coming up with the original concept) was choosing which ones he liked enough to sell (though since there are said to be 1,365 dot paintings out there he doesn’t appear to have been too picky about this).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-news/10114911/Damien-Hirsts-spot-paintings-1365-and-counting.html

I think your brushwork is more impressive – but I doubt it will earn you quite as much money.

Participant

Participant

Having been given a peremptory nudge in the conscience by Ken’s recent postings of his gendarme cavalry from this period, I remembered I promised I’d post a picture of the second guy when he was finished – so only 9 months late here we are:

Gendarme2a

They are both still in this state as I wonder whether they will be commanders or part of a unit.

Those of you who remember/are bothered to read above, will remember this guy had no feathery helmet originally – it didn’t look right to me without a plume so I stuck a pin in his head (heated – the pin not the head) and built a putty plume. Could be sharper but it does the job for me for now.

Participant

Lovely that, Guy.

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer

Http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Participant

Very nice work on the Base Coat there.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Thanks guys.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.