Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Jagannath's 15mm Sci-Fi – Quadrapedal Parrot-Slug! 2/4/18

This topic contains 56 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  jagannath 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author

jagannath
    Participant

Ah because of the ‘space’ the base takes up in comparison to the things? Hadn’t thought of that.

I was only thinking of it from a really cursory POV, but out of interest – if you’d set out to make these what would you do differently? Small sculpted bases?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Imagine you have a empty swimming pool and at one end there is a stick.
    You have to fill the pool with enough water to cover that stick.
    So essentially you have to fill the whole pool of water just to cover a single stick in water.

That is like your plants.
    You have a lot of dead space.

If I were doing it, I would mould a couple of bases quite flat.
    And mould a selection of separate plants.
    Then stick the cast plants onto the cast base.

That is how I did my temple.

Look at these moulds for my temple.
    Two moulds, the flat bit and the tall bits:

But if I had stuck the pillars (like your plants) on to the base and made one big mould it would look like this:

It would have to be that tall to cover the pillars.

It is late and I am very tired, but hopefully that makes sense?

jagannath
    Participant

yeah perfect sense, thanks.

jagannath
    Participant

I’m making *very* slow progress on those trees (turns out sculpting the shrub parts of the above isn’t fun at all) but I did manage to finish this guy the other day

I’m at that funny stage at the moment where loads of stuff is started but not finished, so I feel like I’m not very productive, but I know that soon I’ll hit that critical mass where things start ticking off the painting desk quickly. Until then though, just a lonely robot to show off.

Having said all that, I’ve recently become a bit obsessed with learning to paint like Heresy Brush

http://www.heresybrush.com/

and I’m trying it on the Blue Moon 18mm cowboys….

Another distraction!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I learned the “paint/color modulation” technique for vehicles from HeresyBrush, good stuff.  I think your painting style is superior to his in most respects.  It ain’t broke, don’t go trying to fix it!  😀

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

jagannath
    Participant

Blimey, thanks – I’m not sure on that one, his 15mm stuff is my absolute favourite painting style!

Couple of recent bits I hadn’t put up here:

Some hunting beasts from the Slap Minis Space Dorkz kickstarter – I need to make a ‘nest’ for them too. I think they’re meant to be 2 different animals but I like the idea that the smaller one is an infant. The pic’s washed them out a bit, they’re actually quite richly coloured (I’m pretty chuffed with the blending on the large one).

a GZG merc – I had her ‘spare’ from a larger group I’m making with the Mercs (who’ll be lead by one of the Crom’s Anvil Bodyguard’s with a little tweaking). The painting is pretty crap (especially the head) but that’s life – win some, lose some.

Matthew Hipkin
    Participant

a GZG merc – I had her ‘spare’ from a larger group I’m making with the Mercs (who’ll be lead by one of the Crom’s Anvil Bodyguard’s with a little tweaking). The painting is pretty crap (especially the head) but that’s life – win some, lose some.

I love the green hair and eyebrows.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nice green hair, good to see my old punk hairdoo from 1987 coming back around again.  Ha!  Looking forwards to seeing more!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Your painting looks to me like graphic novel artwork.

Kudos.

jagannath
    Participant

Ah cheers, I’ll take that! If I could paint minis as well as Nic Klein draws I’d be over the moon!

Rhys Humphrey
    Rhys Humphrey
    Participant

Your work is superb and very inspiring!

http://thegreatspaceopera.wordpress.com/

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

The merc is cool but those green critters are the bomb!
    Now I want to see what kind of sheepdogs are needed to keep these guys in check.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

jagannath
    Participant

Hiay all,

Decided to take a few pics of everything I’ve painted in the past year…here’s what i wrote on the blog:

I’m starting to get my brain into gear for this season of Lead Painters’ League on LAF (assuming it’s on this year), and that got me thinking about everything I’ve produced since the start of the last one.

One of the things I enjoyed about LPL was that the ‘pressure’ of keeping up a consistent flow of minis at a high standard (debatable) forced me to learn a few things – it’s where I started pushing my highlights further, using less washes and more layering (because of the drying time) and got my desert basing formula down to a tee. It’s really where my consistent 15mm Sci-Fi project ‘started’.
    Admittedly it’s not the most minis in the world, and I’m sure there’s painters out there who could produce this in a month (though, in all fairness, it’s not the only stuff I’ve painted) but it’s a nice and consistent cast of minis, which is all I wanted it to be. So this year, there’ll be plenty more 15mm sci-fi groups, plus a lot more 15mm Fantasy.

Here’s the sci-fi batch (not the easiest thing to take pics of):

I’ll be posting my fantasy version on my fantasy thread: https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/jagannaths-desert-fantasy/

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Obviously a lot more variety in terms of miniatures on this thread vs. The fantasy.  I really like all the bright colours.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by OldBen1 OldBen1.

jagannath
    Participant

***quick test – having posting problems***

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I had some image posting problems as well.  They seemed to go away.  Good luck!

jagannath
    Participant

It’s been a while but… I’ve managed to finish a chap!

A lovely quadrapedal parrot-slug from the 28mm Rogue Stars range. Great, delicate mini, which is what inspired me to try him for 15mm (his smaller arms aren’t really much bigger than a 15s), and he scales well (though obviously is a big chap).

He had quite a bit of miscasting, so I had to sculpt a visor onto his face – I’m really pleased with him now though. I can see him as part of a bounty hunting duo, likely with the short, bulbous headed fella from the Ion Age I painted ages ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.