Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Jagannath's 6mm Sci Fi – Another group!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    MikeMike
    Keymaster

Holy poopcicles!!

You won’t miss those.

Nice work disguising the circular figure bases.

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

Pretty! You’re a grade-A source of 6mm sci-fi inspiration and motivation with this stuff.

And indeed, they do have a nice sci-fi feel to them. I tend to view the Hammer’s Slammers theme in general as being slightly “retro sci-fi” by today’s standards, but those models bring a measure of crisp futurism back to the setting.

jagannath
    Participant

Thanks folks!

Fairly thick araldite is my secret weapon for hiding integral bases – when it dries you’re halfway there. Then a little tiny bit of filler: sorted!

jagannath
    Participant

Hiya folks,

I’ve been working on this force for a little while, lots of new things (pigment basing – didn’t work, the matte spray washed it away!), micron pens (for the chipping on the Mechafront mech) and Shapeways minis (the very excellent power armour, from the very excellent Hardware Studios).

Other than the fact I wasted my time with the pigment, I’m pretty pleased with these. The very few tiny patches of pigment that are left on the bases don’t look good now, so I’ll go back in and cover those with more moss pads.

The power armour have small glowing eyes, which hasn’t really photographed well, but I’m really pleased with it in the flesh – just wish I wasn’t having endless issues with my Dullcote. I’m thinking of moving on to Tamiya TS-80 spray, which I know scale modellers use a lot – anyone have any experience with it?

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Just found this thread. Lots of great work there. I immediately made the Nausicaa link as well. so cool. Somewhere there was a thread where someone had 3D printed the Tolmekian knights. Great looking but the characteristic mouth slits were too fine to print. Otherwise perfect. I wonder what else is out there.

As for an alternate for Dullcote I found a reference on some miniatures site to the following product: Windsor & Newton professional Matt Varnish. It is supposed to be very tolerant of weather conditions especially humidity. I have yet to try it myself but I did pick up a can from one of the higher end (read not big box store) art supply houses in our area. Price was OK too. Unfortunately it has been raining cats and dogs around here a lot of the time. Plus I am finally off my lazy behind when it comes to painting the lead mountain, WWII and Soviet-Afghan war era, and I am kinda loathe to stop as I think I will be done for many months if I do!

jagannath
    Participant

Thanks dude. I know the knights you mean – the chap posts as YPU over on lead adventure. The tank he showed from Nausicaa is particularly good.

During the great dullcote drought a couple of years ago I did try that varnish actually. It’s really good as a matting agent but if I remember rightly us did stay sticky for absolutely ages.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

I really like that power armor.  Pretty cool that he offers them in more than 1 pose.  Might have to order some!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

Very nice color scheme. I also like the power armor, unique and the light lens makes them look alive. At fist glance I thought the infantry were tau, you got me wanting some.

Tired is enough.

jagannath
    Participant

Thanks both. Dale who runs Hardware studios is great – is really recommend checking out his stuff.

Thanks for mentioning the lenses – I’ve not photographed them that well but I’m pleased with them.

The infantry are Vanguard regulars Royal Marines. I’ve been using them a lot as ‘generic’ sci-Fi troopers. I used the same ones on the blue force above.

jagannath
    Participant

‘Ullo all,

I’ve got a wee update for my 6mm thread!

I’ve been having lots of fun designing and printing things recently for the shop, but I’ve also been tinkering with 6mm bits and realised that simple 6mm infantry are well within my ability.

First batch are some baldy fellas – I’ve got an army on the go at the moment with these, some small mechs and some cobra H.I.S.S tanks, so these guys are intended to have an 80s action toy vibe.

I’ve been looking at older 6mm ranges like GZGs for posing and idea (because I’m not up to the standard of modern 3D designed ranges like vanguards). A simple way (as above) to vary the pose is to make it clear the head is facing in different directions, which I think worked pretty well when based as a group.

More importantly, for this post, are the next chaps – little 6mmm vac-suits!

When GZG released all their Moongrunt stuff I was really inspired – it’s a great opportunity to do some nice, bold colours *and* it’s a pretty pure ‘wargaming’ project (i.e. I wouldn’t get bogged down in RPG civilians like I do in all my other projects!), but it always seemed better suited to 6mm to me.

So here we have the start of 6mm Moon Wars – a wee test base. The actual basing is wrong – I need a new recipe because my ‘glazing’ basing style (like I do for desert) doesn’t work.

I like all the colour schemes here – I think all white is pretty classic and the green looks good, but I think the first force will have the red and white. If I can find an easier yellow recipe I’ll try all yellow too. I do like the look of the multi-scheme on one base though – may be an idea for a mercenary force in the future.

Next I need to design some vehicles – in my version of this setting heavy weapons are only vehicle mounted (hence the squad only having a squad level weapon) then buildings and scenario pieces.

jagannath
    Participant

Mike – could you strip the date stuff from the opening post please (think I’ve passed the time I can edit it now)

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

I really like the colors, somehow they don’t look out of place at all. The bald troops are really nice, I like the muscled arms.

Other simple pose you could experiment with is having one leg forward and one back (walking). There’s a lot you could do with just legs and torso rotation.

I’m tempted to give you some stls to see how they print out.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by ThomastonThomaston.

Tired is enough.

jagannath
    Participant

Yeah I thought that having printed them – those look like nice minis there. When I come to work on an opposing force I’ll do bubble helmets I think.

Even printed at 0.03 they only take 2 hours and cost about 80p, so it’s no hassle to keep iterating.

Participant

Those look great, pretty wild!  And at .80p a fig you can’t really complain at all for something that custom.  (I’ve got a ton of Ma.K/SF3D dudes in 6mm to print, and I am just dreading the cost of even the prep work, as I tend to make poses on 6mm figures way too complex…)

Would love to see what you come up with for vehicles.  Great thing about 3d printing is you can do those open space-frames like the Space 1999 Eagles without having to worry about how it will cast!

jagannath
    Participant

Those look great, pretty wild! And at .80p a fig you can’t really complain at all for something that custom. (I’ve got a ton of Ma.K/SF3D dudes in 6mm to print, and I am just dreading the cost of even the prep work, as I tend to make poses on 6mm figures way too complex…)

Would love to see what you come up with for vehicles. Great thing about 3d printing is you can do those open space-frames like the Space 1999 Eagles without having to worry about how it will cast!

Cheers – I should have made that clearer, it was 80p (i.e. £0.80) for the whole batch of 25, so a mega bargain!

I’m off today so I’ve just been tinkering based on Thomaston’s advice up there – got another platoon in the printer now with tweaked helmets and slightly more dynamic posing.

Very true about vehicles – I think I’ll go for big wheel truck type vehicles for APCs then I need to consider tanks. I’m not sure quite how ‘sci-fi’ this setting is yet, so I’ll just explore options – I like the idea of using a WW1 rulest to play, i.e. infantry squads, fixed or slow moving heavy weapons and slow, cumbersome vehicles that pack a punch.

Participant

it was 80p (i.e. £0.80) for the whole batch of 25, so a mega bargain!

That loud THUNK sound was my jaw bouncing off the ground!  Holy heck, that’s insanely cheap.  Printing yourself really seems the way to go!

Sounds like a WW1 set would work great for the bald guys as they have that 40k Guard feeling to them, but to me a Moon Grunt setting less ‘mass combat” type of war.  More of a hide and seek cat-and-mouse kind of thing because if you’re seen or detected you’re likely to die of a punctured suit.  Line-of-sight becomes uber important as even a slug thrower would have exceptional range and accuracy with the reduced gravity and “air friction”.  And if you’ve got lasers you can probably kill anything you can see.  I could see aerosols and smoke screens (moon equivalent) as being very useful for both cover from observation as well as breaking up beams.  Crevasse, crater rims, boulders all become really important terrain features, with open flat ground being no-go zones, unless you want your face lazed of in .21 seconds…  YMMV, just my thoughts.

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

This has got me googling the costs involved in setting myself up with a 3d printer. Those infantry of yours look amazing!

jagannath
    Participant

(below aimed at Darkest Star)

Yeah for 6mm infantry home printing is cheaper than buying and resin pretty tough – maybe not quite so on dynamic or better detail minis (so guns have to stay chunky) but fine for me.

Ooh yeah that’s an interesting take.

Here’s my thoughts (though I’m trying hard not to overthink) – I’m thinking of these battles as corporate wars as opposed to nation states. Vehicles are expensive and very expensive to get up into space, so combat becomes mostly infantry focussed and fixed hard points, with the odd vehicle committed when the stakes are high.

The infantry are very ‘soft’ (suit damage being enough to knock you out the fight) – that all sounds very WW1 to me. I like the idea of using ‘smoke’ though.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by jagannath.
    jagannath
    Participant

This has got me googling the costs involved in setting myself up with a 3d printer. Those infantry of yours look amazing!

I bought an Anycubic Photon – buy a couple of extra FEP films and expect to waste maybe half of your first resin bottle.

I opened my wee shop, so it’s a bit different, but if for small scales it’s cheap. 28mm minis are about £3 including supports (the way supports go means that there is an associated waste with resin printing).

I’ve just printed 10 x SAW poses and 35 other poses of my v2 vacsuits and the slicer tells me that run was £1.85 – but I do have my slicer settings ‘too high’ price wise, to try and account for waste.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Those models are really nice, impressive work there! Do you have any plans of offering these printed infantry through your store? I am sure I’m not the only interested party!

Did I hear someone mention M.ak./SF3D? I’d love to see/hear more about that *wink,wink*nudge,nudge*

jagannath
    Participant

Thanks mate.

I hadn’t really thought of it to be honest – once I get a chunk painted up I’ll see if there’s interest maybe.

Pretty sure DSG said the MaK stuff was just for personal use (I’d love some 6mm MaK too!!)

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I am just checking in on what you
    People are up to…

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Duuude, those 6mm are the bomb!!
    Can’t make out any striation at all, did you clean them up much?

jagannath
    Participant

Cheers man!

Not at all – because they’re so small I could print them vertically (ie stood upright) which makes a biiig difference) but I also set the layer height really small (0.03mm).

The joys of a resin printer!

If you ink wash a print you can just about see them.

greg954
    Participant

Wow, I’ve just found this thread too! Nice Mechafront model, don’t see many. Unfortunately I couldn’t make out the Shapeways power armour. Eyes aren’t as good as they used to be.

Participant

I am just checking in on what you People are up to…

Participant

Here’s my thoughts (though I’m trying hard not to overthink) – I’m thinking of these battles as corporate wars as opposed to nation states. Vehicles are expensive and very expensive to get up into space, so combat becomes mostly infantry focussed and fixed hard points, with the odd vehicle committed when the stakes are high. The infantry are very ‘soft’ (suit damage being enough to knock you out the fight) – that all sounds very WW1 to me.

Like this alot, makes sense!  And you’d want to minimize damage to facilities too, so no big explosives.  Reminds me of the gyrojet guns and stuff developed in the 60’s for low-recoil and collateral damage.  In the Traveller RPG, swords like cutlasses are pretty popular for boarding actions as ships are fragile things and you don’t want too many holes in something you’re wanting to keep spaceworthy and operational!

jagannath
    Participant

Yeah that’s sort of where my heads’ at. I imagine in some scenarios it might be combat ready colonists (workers in mining or refining outposts) fending off trained military raids, so its a good opportunity for quite mismatched forces. Again – committing specific military forces might be a profit/loss calculation.

Once I find a good rule set (maybe Hammer of Democracy with some tweaks) I’ll play about with victory points so that taking vehicles is a gamble – very effective, but worth double victory points if killed, something like that. To try and represent the ‘profit’ aspect.

I am just checking in on what you
    People are up to…

That’s an Interesting Point you make…

jagannath
    Participant

Here’s the v2 command stand in their base coat – you can see one of the kneeling poses second from right. I think the new helmet visors are better looking.

After the test prints I decided to print the whole army – 5 infantry squads, 2 x missile teams, 3 heavy gun teams and this command squad.

Going with the white and red scheme (I’ve mistakenly painted the helmets red here, now corrected).

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

I’m a little bit enamoured with those figures. It’s 3D printing at its most attractive to me.

Reading the two “opposing” ideas for near future Lunar warfare gave me a third one. I’m presenting it not as a suggestion for your project, as you seem to have your own plan already (and a good one it is), but more as an idea that I’m going to consider for myself when I get around to a Moongrunt project, and also simply as a new injection to this creative discussion:

During the early stages of Lunar colonisation, the very concept of warfare, killing and hard militarisation on the Moon is explosively controversial stuff back on Earth. If an “astronaut-soldier” from one spacefaring power is killed by his or her counterparts from another, it’s going to be sensationalised (as it perhaps well should be) in the media, with severe and unpredictable consequences for the powers involved. Think of a very high-profile hostage situation times 20, or of what the media attention portrayed in the film The Martian would have been like if there had been conflict involved. So, using pretenses to the effect of “apprehending unauthorised personnel” in an extremely hazy political situation where the Lunar “security zones” and “exclusion zones” asserted by opposing powers contradict each other, small military forces would be attempting to neutralise, immobilise and capture each other by non-lethal means. There’s a scene in the excellent anime TV series Planetes (unless I misremember) where some astronaut military/police types use guns that fire some sort of hi-tech glue or cement to immobilise and apprehend another rogue astronaut. Something like this would suit a Moongrunt-style setting well, I think. At the same time, lethal force wouldn’t be entirely out of the question – it’s always a weigh-off between how pressing the situation is, and how sensitive it is. There would also be the risk of accidental lethal force, which would increase proportionally with the intensity, desperation and disorderliness of the fighting, and which would likely have negative consequences for the killing side but might nevertheless be a risk that needs taking. It’s an interesting idea for a ruleset, at least.

On an entirely different note, I also really dig the idea of an “80s action toy”-inspired project. I myself am looking around for manufacturers that make miniatures (mainly in 6-8mm, but perhaps also other scales) suitable for such a project. Would you happen to know of any? I know of Trader’s Galaxy and am trying to recall the name of another one that I think I’ve seen. Don’t sweat it, of course

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

That v2 print is a real success, they look great!

It sounds like a really interesting project, I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes 🙂

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

These are very clean. How long did it take to print these? I’m assuming the rest of the army will take the same time?
    If you’re anyhting like me I’ll bet you’ll have another version by next week.

Tired is enough.

jagannath
    Participant

Thanks folks

@Rhoderick – that’s a cool concept, I like it.

80s toy/metal gear solid/GI Joe vibe is pretty under-explored in wargaming, which is weird because it seems perfect for the tabletop – bombastic ‘soft’ sci-fi. Thanks for reminding me about Trader’s Galaxy though – the HISS tank there is pretty good. Trolls Under the Bridge do some 6mm Catachans which are similar.

@alexander – thanks mate, shouldn’t take me long.

@Thomaston – I think the run was 1h58. Thing about resin printers is that the print time is solely dictated by the height – so printing 1 man or 100 men takes the same time. I printed 50 odd fellas – the fixed squads (missile teams and gun teams) and then enough poses of riflemen (I’ve got 8 poses) to have a nice selection for all the bases. Thanks for your feedback the other day – it spurred me on!

ian pillayian pillay
    Participant

Superb!

Tally-Ho!

Participant

Really like those red guys!  Looks like you have 2 factions just with the helmet variations.  Can’t wait to see what else you come up with!

jagannath
    Participant

Really like those red guys! Looks like you have 2 factions just with the helmet variations. Can’t wait to see what else you come up with!

You’ve read my mind! I prefer the second helmets (I now realise that the first ones look a bit like diving helmets) but I’ve built these so I can switch out helmets easily (and maybe tweak the backpacks for more visual difference). I mean, just painting them in different schemes would be enough tbh.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

@Jagannath: I was hoping to ask you a few questions about your 3d printer as I’m thinking of investing in one. This is totally OT and I don’t want to de-rail the topic at hand, could I send you an PM or something?

jagannath
    Participant

Hey dude,

Sure can but I’m happy for you stick them in this thread – I bet others have similar questions.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

You might just be right about that 🙂

I was wondering what printer it is you use, and what your experience of it is?

I have used some standard FFF 3d printers and most of them have needed a fair bit of work/trial&error to function well. From what I read resin printers seems more straight-forward, but that’s why I wanted to ask someone how actually used one!

Thanks for indulging me!

jagannath
    Participant

No problem!

I bought an anycubic photon having read up a fair bit.

Once you get the hang of zeroing it and the slicer, it works fantastic. If you’re looking for a printer to print loads of terrain (like all the good Star Wars legion terrain out there) then it’s not suitable – it’ll be too expensive.

You need a space to put it (because it smells a bit) that’s not in direct light (or any sunlight, ideally).

Chitubox make a significantly better slicer than the default one, download that as a first step.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.