Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Jagannath's 6mm Sci Fi – Another group!

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Does the slicer create supports automatically, do you ahve control on how much support there are?

Sorry – yes, that’s right. I only use manual supports – that’s the bit that takes some learning to get right. Obviously anywhere a support touches is marked and will need a little clean up, but you also need as many supports as necessary.

For 6mm minis with weapons tucked in near them you can definitely have supports only on the underside of the integral base.

For a pointing pose you’d maybe want one on the hand – same for my SAW armed chaps because the weapon’s longer.

Well worth swatting up beforehand on supports – cleaning up a failed print is a royal pain.

Participant

Thanks for the information, I just have a follow-up question about the supports:

I get the need to support the minis with longer weapons or dynamic poses, but I don’t really understand what you mean with supports under the intergral base? Do you make sort of a sheet or pipe-like addition connecting the bases to eachother, or am I missing something completely?

So the way a resin printer works is that it bakes a few thick starter layers – this helps the print stock to the build plate. You don’t want those layers as part of your print, so you have to elevate the design. ‘Support’ is a slightly misleading term because resin printers work backwards – they ‘suck’ the print out of the print bed.

So the supports provide contact points, ensuring continuity of contact Between the bed and the mini.

Google ‘printed on an anycubic photon’ and click straight across to the images – you’ll see plenty with the supports still on, which are much easier to understand than me trying to explain it.

Participant

I get it now, that was really helpful, thanks!

No problem matey 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.