Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Jason, his Argonauts and the Argo – Civilians, priestesses and beasts added

This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by OldBen1 OldBen1 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

Jason (Foundry and a Plastic one) with his crew.  A few more will be added later as they are a bit short of missile troops.

And in the bottom of a box was a resin hull base that I bought many years ago in a bargain bin of miscasts which with some card, paper, dowel, tinfoil and a Greek or Roman figure found in a charity shop became the “Argo”

Fully Crewed the Argo has taken down its mast and sail ready for action.

The stern with the statue of Hera and two plastic Greeks converted to make Ancaeus (axe) and Poeas (Champion Archer)

And, of course, The Golden Fleece

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  Alan Hamilton.

Etranger
    Participant

Nice!

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Very cool.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

They look very nice. Do you have some mythological beasties to go up against them?

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Very nice. Now it’s off to Colchis with you to get that coveted fleece!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Wow, those are awesome.

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

They look very nice. Do you have some mythological beasties to go up against them?

Yes, the first are in the “RAF 100 – Greek Mythology” post.  There are more on the way.

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

Very nice. Now it’s off to Colchis with you to get that coveted fleece! Cheers. Rod Robertson

King Aetees, his soldiers, Medea, some civilians and priestesses are undercoated.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Yes, the first are in the “RAF 100 – Greek Mythology” post. There are more on the way.

Ah, so they are. Sorry, I hadn’t noticed you were the poster of both topics! So much for thinking there was a small revolution in mythological wargaming!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Gone Fishing.
    Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

So much for thinking there was a small revolution in mythological

Maybe there should be!

Don’t forget one of these!

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Nice clamshell.

Sorry I couldn’t resist.

No problem — although, if I were actually down there, seeing it from that angle, I doubt that would be the first thought that occurred to me!

Howard Whitehouse
    Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

Great stuff!

I do all my own stunts.

Catullus
    Catullus
    Participant

So much for thinking there was a small revolution in mythological

Maybe there should be!

Maybe there is! I’ve been working on something similar.

That boat and the sail look great. I shall be watching your work with interest.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

A very appealing subject & treatment. It’s a family joke that when I was a wee’un, my dad would tell me tales of Greek mythology & I thought Jason was bedevilled with parasites (“Jason & the Golden Fleas”).

donald

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

The main enemy force is that of Aetees, King of Colchis and his forces. I looked at the Foundry figures but I really wanted a more diverse force than was on otther there. I have no idea what the historical inhabitants of Colchis looked like and so looked for figures that would look a bit like those in the classic film. First I looked in my Lead Mountain and then I looked online and settled of Warlord Games range of Achaemenid Persians backed by some Black Tree Design figures.

Here, from left to right are some of the main characters for our games:

King Aetees, Priestess of Hecate, Medusa (one of many guises I have), Medea as High Priestess of Hecate, two of the king’s servants.

The Green Regiment – Based on the warriors in the Film.

The Blue Regiment

The Archers led by a Ral Partha amazon now re-roled as one of the Princesses

the Hydra (one of two that I have)

Children of the Hydra

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Alan Hamilton.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

This is such a fun thread. I think they all turned out very well – the Near-Eastern/Persian vibe for Colchis definitely feels right (though like you, this may only be the film talking!). Do you remember who makes the figure of Aetees himself? Seeing these makes me want to watch some Harryhausen…

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Seeing these makes me want to watch some Harryhausen…

Me too, some very inspiring models there!

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Cool Hydra

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

Do you remember who makes the figure of Aetees himself? Seeing these makes me want to watch some Harryhausen…

He is from Warlord Games – Achaemenip Persian King’s Chariot.  The nice people there sold me the crew separately.

Warlord – Persian King’s Chariot

The king is on the right

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Ah, so he is! Thank you! (Juices flowing…)

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

The Centaurs appear in many stories and these come from a wide variety of sources.

Centaurs

The unicorn (Reaper Bones)

The Brass or Bronze Bull (Reaper Bones)

Lamiae

The Gorgons

Petrified victims

Inspired by Harryhausen – a statue picked up on holiday in India and an animated version.

Another statue that I have had for years (right) and another bought on ebay as the animated version.

A couple of Greek animated statues – Artemis

Athena

This might be Sekhmet?

To add some extra excitement and perhaps to impede the players we have added some civilians and other folk to our collection.  The models come from a wide variety of manufacturers and some are repaints of old figures so that they fit in with the rest of the collection.

Ladies first – the servants, slaves and some warrior types (there are some very old figures in this lot).

Townsmen, servants and slaves.  Most of them are Black Tree figures.

The upper and middle class as well as a priestess or two.  Not sure where the priestess on the left came from.

A variety of adults and children some are relatively new though there are some vintage Minifigs, Garrison, Asgard, Citadel and Rose (probably others too).

Priests, Priestesses and Sooth Sayers

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Lots of cool stuff in there, not sure what I prefer, the Bronze Bull or the multi-armed goddess monster.
    Was that from the Sinbad with Tom Baker?

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

That’s the one – Golden Voyage of Sinbad – Tom Baker and Caroline Munro

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

I did these to celebrate the Centenary of the RAF and they posted elsewhere and included here for completeness.

The Pegasi – by Casting Room Miniatures

The Harpies from a variety of manufacturers.

Other creatures – various manufacturers and I have no idea what the three-headed creature is but it looks mythological.

Birdmen

Flying Skirmishers – Garrison

Flying Hoplites and a Peltast

Alex Bates
    Alex Bates
    Participant

This is a great thread – such a cool collection!

It was a nice surprise seeing my Snake Priestesses in the mix, too!  Lots of great figures here.

Where does the centaur with the horned helmet and the sword come from?  I recognize that figure, but I can’t place where I know it from.

I never know what to say in these signature blocks. Check out my Lost World Miniatures on Facebook - www.facebook.com/ForgeofIce

Gone Fishing
    Participant

More lovely work! Love it.

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

This is a great thread – such a cool collection! It was a nice surprise seeing my Snake Priestesses in the mix, too! Lots of great figures here. Where does the centaur with the horned helmet and the sword come from? I recognize that figure, but I can’t place where I know it from.

The snake priestesses just seemed so right to fit into the role of Priestesses of Hecate.  And they are very nice figures.

I cannot remember where the armoured Centaur came from it was bought about 25 years ago so possibly Asgard or Amazon Miniatures?

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Amazing!  So many adventure ideas there.  Great work.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.