Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Jonathan Gingerich's Napoleonic Page Question – Vasilchikov-1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bandit
    Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Hoping you spot this. I was doing some work on Borodino and one of the sources I have been consulting is your Borodino OB. My question is regarding Vasilchikov-1 who you have simultaneously commanding the 3rd Brigade of the IV Cavalry Corps as well as the 12th Division of the VII Infantry Corps (in place of Kolyubakin).

Any ideas of where he actually was and who was filling the other command?

Cheers,

The Bandit

Greystreak
    Participant

Jonathan will no doubt be along shortly . . . in the meantime, if you refer to the Borodino OOB researched by Alex Mikaberidze (http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/battles/1812/Russia/Borodino/Mikaberidze/OrdersofBattle/c_MikaberidzeOOB1.html) you find the 12th Division’s commander listed as “Major General Illarion Vasilchikov I”, and the 3rd Brigade IV Cavalry Corps commander as “Colonel Dmitry Vasilchikov II”.

Bryce Allen

Greystreak
    Participant

Bump for The Bandit, in case this was missed.

Bryce Allen

Bandit
    Participant

Bryce,

Thanks on both counts. My suspicion is:

12th Division’s commander listed as “Major General Illarion Vasilchikov I”, and the 3rd Brigade IV Cavalry Corps commander as “Colonel Dmitry Vasilchikov II”.

this is correct, but it could also be guessed since Vasilchikov-2 was the next in line for the 3rd Brigade and Vasilchikov-1 was the next in line for the 12th Division and I was curious if anything would indicate the normal succession order wasn’t followed.

Greystreak
    Participant

Sorry I was unable to provide what you wished for these two brothers, as I did not understand the original question to be addressing ‘succession protocol’.  Perhaps Jonathan can shed more light?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Greystreak.

Bryce Allen

Bandit
    Participant

Sorry I was unable to provide what you wished for these two brothers, as I did not understand the original question to be addressing ‘succession protocol’.  Perhaps Jonathan can shed more light?

Nah you’re fine, you are likely correct. Vasilchikov-1 was second-in-line to command the 12th Division and the 12th Division commander – Kolyubakin – was wounded at Saltanovka, so it makes sense that Vasilchikov-1 takes over as indicated on Jonathan’s OB. The tripping point is that Jonathan also has Vasilchikov-1 commanding his own 3rd Brigade. The logical thing is that the 12th Division commander is wounded, so his next-in-line (Vasilchikov-1) takes over and then the 3rd Brigade is vacant so the next-in-line for the 3rd Brigade takes over who happens to be Vasilchikov-2.

In the meantime I did find that Mikaberidze comes to the same conclusion, so I suspect you are correct.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

Hi guys – missed the question – holidays et al… I’ll look at it, but Bryce probably nailed.
    The generals and field officers had separate ordinals. I forget if the field ranks were separate as well. Somewhere Steven H. Smith answers the question.
    The ordinals dis not become official until the yearly register was published, I believe. Occasionally there were disagreements.

Ah took a look at it. I probably need to put a note in. Vasilchikov-1 is “commander” of the 3d Brigade – but he is not “commanding”. That role has devolved to Col. Vasilchikov-2, because Gen Vasilchikov-1 has been assigned to cover the 12th infantry division in light of their commanders MG Kolyubakin’s convalescence. Maybe I intended italics – have to check.

Ah yes – typo preventing the italics. Well congrats Bandit, consider yourself a contributor:-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.