Home Forums General Conventions and Shows Joy of Six 2022 After Action Report

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Went down to Sheffield yesterday and spent the evening with Peter Berry of Baccus and his better half and thirty or so others to celebrate Pete and Lindy’s upcoming marriage. Lots of wargaming chat, with the guys from Little Wars among others and pie, chunky chips and mushy peas to die for … or from, given how much I ate!

Today was Joy of Six 2022, a good mix of games and traders an an opportunity for me to lose yet another game of Strength and Honour. Four of us took command of the forces at Second Bedriacum (69AD). My colleague and I lead the followers of Vespasian and alas failed to break the dastardly Vitellians by a single point before succumbing ourselves. A great game, run with great enthusiasm by Mark Backhouse, and a great bunch of players and onlookers to interact with. “Ave, Imperator!”

Pictures of the various games to follow tomorrow once I’ve had a chance to recover and upload the images to Imageshack.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Can’t work out how to port the post on the Pendraken forum to here because they seem to handle images differently so, if you are interested in more pictures of JoS 2022 and my thoughts head over to

https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,21835.0.html

or if you just want the images without my waffle you can see them here

https://imageshack.com/a/pFAW7/1

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Impressive turn out and set of games on show.

Did you catch the talks at all?  I’m intrigued to find out what the comment from Peter was on ‘more 6mm fantasy’ – Baccus never took their range any further 🙁

The Wakefield game looks interesting – similar to the old cities map in HOTT / DBA (think it was in these). Once saw a large map of the English south coast for a similar game – got one pic buried away somewhere for inspiration but these are the only two like this I can remember.

Quite like the ‘printed’ map – I cannot find it on the website but it seems to be a ‘Bloody Big Battles’ game of Battle of Isaszeg Hungry 1849 (from here).

The Commission Figurines ‘flats’ look very nice – I’ve only ever seen the catalogue and was surprised by the cost (£2 for 12 strips). Given that you even get guide lines for painting I’m amazed that these do not cost more!

Overall, all these games show that 6mm (and smaller) excels at large vistas and deserve more coverage in the magazines.

Participant

Good job, Mike. Sorry we didn’t get to meet – hopefully next year.

Andrew, glad you like my BBB battlemat, thank you. Yes, it was Isaszeg. Here’s an AAR of its previous outing. For more discussion about how to get battlemats made etc, see here. (Non-BBBers: don’t be misled and assume you have to have a battlemat to play BBB. Most of my games are on the usual felt cloth and polystyrene jigsaw.)

Participant

Andrew, I’d cocked up my travel arrangements – return journey I’d put in when I wanted to arrive in Edinburgh rather than when I wanted to leave Sheffield, so left about three hours earlier than intended. So had to squash things in a bit. The talks had to be jettisoned. I’m intrigued to know too. Though “Over my dead body” seems a likely option in light of conversations I’ve had with Peter. 🙂

The two stands of figures on the Wakefield game represent the English and French Armies, as I understand it, with the English just escaping off the top of the map. I believe the positions of the bridges were not known at the start of the game, though I may have picked that up wrongly.

The printed map is indeed that BBB battle. One of the games scheduled had to be cancelled due to last minute work commitments on the part of those due to run it so Chris Pringle stepped in with his offering. Apparently he was on another table running a different game so a couple of others ran Isaszeg for him.

The Commission figures are surprisingly effective. If I didn’t already have enough figures in 6mm to do Davout’s 1st Corps and Bagration’s 2nd West Field Army for Borodino at 10:1. Bought them for a song at the SESWC Bring & Buy from a chap who’d despaired of ever getting round to painting them. Very few are painted even now, decades later!

Participant

Thanks for sharing an interesting and informative post.

Participant

Added my own report to the BBBBlog, “Joy of 1866” (as it also includes a report of an Austro-Prussian war game).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.