Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Jumping on the 10mm WFB bandwagon

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Steven Francis
    Participant

Well kind of. Few years ago decided to do 10mm not Warmaster…Kislev army. But that lasted all of a little bit… Then when clearing out things from the garage I found WFB 3rd edition rules and my gaming buddy suggested playing it… So new bases from Warbases and an order coming from Pendraken and my Kislev army is brought back to life.

So while waiting on the armoured bears to really give it a fantasy feel I rebased some things tonight. Only a little blood spilt..

10mm Kislev

So I have 2*15 halberdiers, 10 winged lancers, 5 horse archers, magicy boy and general. Missing some appropriate standards currently….

5 more archers to base and I need to really improve the paint jobs…bears, flagalents and hunters to come.

Mike
    Keymaster

Cool cool.
    Following.

Steven Francis
    Participant

I almost wrote “be amazed if I update this more than my last thread” so be warned!

Mike
    Keymaster

Will you be rebasing the circular hero models too?

Steven Francis
    Participant

Not sure yet….I think it would be useful so that the can go in the regiments but can always just place them beside. Really need to get a mounted model with no horse that fits the theme (polish infantry and mounted so far) so that I can have a bear riding leader. Also need to come up with some ice golems and then a few more infantry blocks. But all in good time….

Mike
    Keymaster

Not sure if you saw on one of my other topics, but Pendraken will sell single figures on an ad-hoc basis.
    I just ordered some multiples of the same figure from a pack without buying all the rest.
    A load of the banner / standard bearers from the fantasy command packs.
    Very handy, maybe have a look at all their stuff and see if you can do it that way?

Steven Francis
    Participant

I have an order in with them at the moment, but could not really decide in hero’s and standards… Bit of a buggeration as I would like to make 2000 PTS by the end of lockdown and need some characters for that. But I will get there… If Warhammer Quest does not pull me away….bats on the table

Steven Francis
    Participant

So I did a little touch up in one model and then wondered…what stop chaos hordes….

Wall

Mike
    Keymaster

Interesting building, from whence it came?

Steven Francis
    Participant

It is Hirst Arts castle cubes walls. Some at 6mm so the scale is a little off and the cubes do not quite work, but the castle walls go well. I am currently casting with wall plaster which took some time to get used to but at a silly price compared to the dental plasters I am happy.

And it can be used for DIY.

more pics wanted?

Mike
    Keymaster

more pics wanted?

Always

๐Ÿ˜€

Steven Francis
    Participant

Tea first then pics…

Steven Francis
    Participant

So forgive the tablet cam… All I have but I have played about with some of the different casts I have from Hirst Arts 6mm scale. Now the small brick might work well too here, it does 15mm terrain well but not got any casts to hand.

Plan is castle walls in plaster blocks, buildings in card and wood… Let the mammoths try and get through!

Mike
    Keymaster

Thats nice, would you recommend Hirst?

I often look but never have bought.

Steven Francis
    Participant

I hit a golden period….I snagged a few cheep moulds from ebay, got a buddy hooked and we then managed to make and sell quite a bit. I think I am probably about 0 cost due to luck, but it can be expensive as the moulds are not cheep but do hold up on the second market.

If you get two of three moulds you can do a lot, but there is always more moulds that tempt. It is also a time and space hog, as you need to cast, cast, cast and most the models have a big footprint die to the 1/2 inch sizing.

Saying all that I have about 30 moulds, and currently no built models beyond 3 dungeon bits and some epic ruins. This is mainly as we moved house last year and most of my time is spent working, digging, or redecorating. I do plan to get back into creating again soon. Ultimately they are easier to get some good from than foam or card, and you can just play about with the blocks a bit like Lego.

Currently I am casting up to try and run some craft session when we are out of lockdown, either at the local primary school or at a community venue that has tried to get up and running.

What you need us to get someone to send you a few casts to see if you like them or not, then borrow a mould to try casting and then decide. As an alternative there is the HO scale Links from the 70s that got brought back to life a few years ago. Not the same, but good too

Thomaston
    Participant

those castle cubes looks really good. the op parts looks like they’ll do for houses and buildings. That archway looks particularly good. being cast in plaster sounds like it’ll be grate for making ruins.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Steven Francis
    Participant

Plaster is a mixed blessing…snapping and chipping makes really good ruins but can lead to damage. I used to use cement colour to minimise the showing of chips but not picked any up recently. It is also pretty heavy for a large building or modular dungeon.

Guessing some interest in a proper build thread??

Mike
    Keymaster

Guessing some interest in a proper build thread??

Do it!!

๐Ÿ˜€

Steven Francis
    Participant

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon…. ruined cottage for 28mm

Steven Francis
    Participant

So my Pendraken order came today… My full army of Kislev is ready to repel the chaos hordes.

Mike
    Keymaster

ready to repel the chaos hordes.

Praise be to Sigmar for our brothers in the North.

What is the thing at the back which looks to have a broken cart wheel on it?

Steven Francis
    Participant

That would be the organ gun pre-glueing. I had not noticed it had collapsed. All glued together now. Painting needed

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.