Home Forums General General Keeping Track of Projects

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    irishserb
    Participant

This is loosely related to the other “project” thread, but thought that I’d start a different thread, rather than hijack the other one.

About fifteen years ago, I started keeping a “To-Do” list of on-going gaming projects, mostly to help me organize the planning/progress for armies and/or periods.  Over the first few years, the method of listing/logging evolved, and I ended up with a list organized out by scale, period, and then specific project.

The scope of a project can vary greatly, but is defined by some practical need or limitation.  The project may be limited by available funds for materials, the number of vehicles in a unit, or by the size of my work table among other things.  A project could be as simple as building a couple of aircraft stands, or scratch-building a entire battlefield of modular terrain (for example Stonne for 1940 in 15mm worked out to 72 sq. ft. of terrain).

Each project is broken into 10 steps such as, “research/design/master”, “buy or cast miniatures/parts”, “construct or base”, and ranges to “buy rules/complete printed rules updates(if homebrew rules are used)”.  The 10 steps don’t apply to every project, but usually 7-10 do apply.  I usually have two or four projects on the tables at any one time, and work on each as money, time, or other aspects (such as drying time) permits.  The 10 step breakdown serves to motivate me, and helps me to keep track of status, as one project might get temporarily shelved to allow space for another project (for example, currently, my ork trucks are on hold to make space for casting 15mm vehicles).

Projects get added as things are needed for on-going games (such as a 15mm African hospital for the next battle in my modern imagi-nations campaign), or when I decide to jump into a new period or army.  The current list has 222 ongoing projects, with about 49 percent of the work on those projects done.  At this point, it probably serves more as a motivational tool, than anything else.

Anyway, just thought I’d throw this out there.  I know that some gamers keep databases of their figures and whatnot, and was just curious if anyone else does any sort of thing like this for on-going gaming stuff.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I just have clutter …and Oh Shiny !!!

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Well, I wouldn’t find boxes of figures tucked away in stray corners of the attic if I did!

To be fair that was as much a result of putting stuff in store when I went on a secondment overseas for two years, not returning for six, getting married in the mean time, having a child and only taking half the stuff out of store until I knew exactly where to put it all and then a warehouse fire destroying the rest. Perhaps a catalogue tattooed on some part of me would have helped?

I can only admire you and feel sorry for you simultaneously Irishserb – I am much closer to Kyoteblue – although as a result of the above disaster I started a log of what figures I have, and what painting techniques I used with each era/grouping,  so I can try and match them if and when I remember to carry on with them!

Its fascinating to read – and fascinating to discover the gaps in it as well! That I think is as far as my concession to orderliness in my hobby will go.

irishserb
    Participant

Now that I think about it, I must started this closer to 20 years ago.  At the time, I was into a ridiculous number of historical periods, and just couldn’t keep track of things through memory.  A few years after I started this, I realized that I wouldn’t live long enough to “complete” much of it, so narrowed my focus quite a bit, then dropped a bunch more periods again after a few more years.  At this point, I don’t need it to keep track so much as I already have the system, and it really serves to motivate me, as I see projects come to completion.

When I step back and look at it though, it is kind of nutso.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.