Home Forums WWII KG Klink, France, Game 10

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Just Jack 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Ambush at Abbeville, #3
    0630 28 May 1940

Following the fighting in and around Flavion, KG Klink was briefly pulled out of the line to rest, refit, perform maintenance on their weapons, machines, and equipment, and bring in a few replacements.  They were actually parked outside the Dunkirk perimeter when they were called back to action; further south, German forces had forced a crossing on the Somme.  At 0600 27 on May, the Allies counterattacked the German bridgehead, striking the German 57th Infantry Division southwest of Abbeville, in an attempt to reach the encircled Allied troops at Dunkirk.

Unbeknownst to the Germans, the French French 4e DCr (or 4th Division Cuirassee, 4th Armored Division) arrived in the battle area that evening.  The French force, heavily armed with Char B1, Somua S-35, and Hotchkiss light tanks, immediately set about reorganizing, preparing to attack on the morning of 28 May.

But KG Klink moved all through the night in order to reach the battle area. arriving at approximately  0500 on 28 May.  The plan was for KG Klink to counterattack down the Blangy-Abbevile Road, hoping to flank the French 2e DLC (2nd Cavalry Division), maybe even cut all the way across and in behind the British 51st Highland Division, cutting off the British 1st Armored Division.  With that, KG Klink set off, passing through the German 217th Infantry Regiment, launching its attack down the Blangy-Abbeville Road.  KG Klink passed through Villers sur Mareuil, then Huppy, and were moving towards St Maxent en Vimeu, when they encountered trouble near the three (fictional) villages, Dujour, Deture, and Toujour, on the River Bleu.
    The first fight saw Colonel Klink lead the 1st Grenadier Platoon, supported by Stugs, in the attack on Dujours.  Repulsed, they were reinforced by the 4th Grenadier Platoon and drove the French force back onto Hill 44.

The second fight saw 1st Lt Tausch, lead his 3rd Grenadier Platoon into the assault on Hill 34.  The attack stalled in several locations, but the Lieutenant’s skillful leadership maneuvered his troops until they were able to unhinge the enemy’s defensive line.

The third fight sees the Reconnaissance Company Commander, 1Lt Wehner, lead his men forward to seize the bridge over the River Bleu at Deture.

The overall area of operations, and that stupid north-seeking arrow at top right is incorrect, north is to far left…  The three villages are, from left to right: Dujour, Deture, and Toujour, and the hills are, from left to right: Hill 34, Hill 44, and Hill 54.  The River Bleu runs east-west down the center of the table.

My intent is to play a series of battles on a 6′ x 4′ layout, using small pieces, maybe 2′ x 2′ with 10mm troops.  I’ve gone back to my old standby, Ivan’s “5Core Company Command.”

The red arrow showing the axis of attack.

The Reconnaissance Company elements move south towards Deture, past the farmhouse on the right, and with Major Schultz leading 4th Grenadier Platoon up on the left.

The French CO (center right) looks on as one of his 25mm anti-tank guns (bottom right) opens fire on LCpl Fasbender’s armored car!

And the other French ATG (bottom right) quickly joins in.

The German motorcycle troops attempt to force their way across the bridge, under fire.

Not their best plan…

Sgt Keck’s Panzer II catches the French in the open, trying to reinforce their front-line positions.

This was a straight-up street brawl!  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/08/kg-klink-france-game-10.html

At this point all attention shifted back to the north, where Colonel Klink was busy scratching together a force to go and take Hill 44, securing the eastern flank of his penetration towards Toujour.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

A Greman tank but still no French Tank.

Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

Nice.  I felt that the Germans definitely had the rub of the green on that one.  They seemed to get luckier at the points where the course of the engagement could have gone either way.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote John- You’re gonna have to wait.  Since you won’t quit whining, I’ll spoil it for everyone: French tanks don’t show up until fight #13.  So sit back, relax, and enjoy these infantry fights 😉

Whirlwind John- Indeed, Sir, the French had every opportunity to turn the Recce Company back, failing to capitalize on no less than three close combats, as well as not severely mauling the German motorcycle troops during their daring push to get across the bridge.  And then their reinforcements getting mowed down…  Actually, at that point it really didn’t matter, just added insult to injury, but those reinforcements could have broken the Germans’ back had just a couple of those close combats have gone the French Army’s way.

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I think Cpl Edst was securing their line of retreat in case the French tried something sneaky. Not sure why he wasn’t called up to deal with the mortar once they had the town.

Had to go back and reread Five Core Company to remind myself how the rules work.

Germans seemed over powered or was it just dice roll?

Tired is enough.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Jack, stacks the deck when it comes to the Germans. Or it looks that way to me… wink wink.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thomaston – Regarding Cpl Edst, something like that.  You have to remember this is the German Army, the bad guys; he’s about to find himself summarily executed for cowardice (it’s been done before, look back at the Poland campaign)!  Obviously I’m a huge fan of the 5Core rules, both Company Command for platoon- to company-sized actions, and 5 Men at Kursk for skirmish actions.  The skirmish is just fast and furious fan, while the Company Command game, for me, really does a good job of putting you into the seat/perspective of the Company or Platoon commander, where you worry about things that are appropriate to that level, not minutiae (particularly the Kill an Shock dice that are simple, straight forward, and actually consolidate fire effectiveness and morale into one roll).  And there’s quite a bit of friction, but you’re not reduced to being a spectator, it’s (in my humble opinion) much more realistic in terms of the commander being unable to do all the things he wants to do, but he still gets to decide where his command focus will be, prioritizing the tasks as he sees fit.

“Germans seemed over powered or was it just dice roll?”
    The bridge was definitely a choke point, the French simply weren’t able to take advantage! They started the ambush when German vehicles were on the bridge, with shots by two different ATGs, and didn’t accomplish anything! And being an ambush, at a choke point, at relatively close range (one on a flank), I think I gave each 2K 3S, but nothing was knocked out or even immobilized. If that had happened, the bridge would have been blocked to vehicle traffic, meaning the German tank and remaining armored cars would have had to reverse off the bridge, then find a place to support by fire from the north bank.

Then, when the Germans only had a vehicle or two across the bridge, the French tried to close assault and failed again (a total of three times during the game, if I recall correctly)! So the Germans got a toehold on the south bank and made a daring move to fling their infantry across by shoving them forward while still mounted on their motorcycles. Again the French had a tremendous opportunity to stymie the assault (they did knock out one squad and suppress another), but again they failed.

Nothing I can do about terrible dice rolling 😉

Kyote John – How dare you!  If any thing, I’ve been shorting the Germans, giving them nowhere near the ‘standard’ 3-1 troop ratio in the attack.

V/R,
    Jack

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

Great looking game. Is the entire board spread over 6×4 and you are just battling on small parts of it each time?

Just Jack
    Participant

Yes Sir, you’ve got it.  Makes setup/takedown a lot easier.  Until the end 😉

V/R,

Jack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.