Home Forums WWII KG Klink, France, Game 8

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

Ambush at Abbeville, #1
    0530 28 May 1940

Following the fighting in and around Flavion, KG Klink was briefly pulled out of the line to rest, refit, perform maintenance on their weapons, machines, and equipment, and bring in a few replacements. They were actually parked outside the Dunkirk perimeter when they were called back to action; further south, German forces had forced a crossing on the Somme. At 0600 27 on May, the Allies counterattacked the German bridgehead, striking the German 57th Infantry Division southwest of Abbeville, in an attempt to reach the encircled Allied troops at Dunkirk.

Unbeknownst to the Germans, the French French 4e DCr (or 4th Division Cuirassee, 4th Armored Division) arrived in the battle area that evening. The French force, heavily armed with Char B1, Somua S-35, and Hotchkiss light tanks, immediately set about reorganizing, preparing to attack on the morning of 28 May.

But KG Klink moved all through the night in order to reach the battle area. arriving at approximately 0500 on 28 May. The plan was for KG Klink to counterattack down the Blangy-Abbevile Road, hoping to flank the French 2e DLC (2nd Cavalry Division), maybe even cut all the way across and in behind the British 51st Highland Division, cutting off the British 1st Armored Division. With that, KG Klink set off, passing through the German 217th Infantry Regiment, launching its attack down the Blangy-Abbeville Road. KG Klink passed through Villers sur Mareuil, then Huppy, and were moving towards St Maxent en Vimeu, when they encountered trouble near the three (fictional) villages, Dujour, Deture, and Toujour, on the River Bleu.

The first fight sees Colonel Klink himself, looking to seal his axis of advance from flank harassment and searching for a place to post his headquarters, lead 1st Grenadier Platoon, supported by attached Stugs, in the attack on Dujour.

The overall area of operations, and that stupid north-seeking arrow at top right is incorrect, north is to far left… The three villages are, from left to right: Dujour, Deture, and Toujour, and the hills are, from left to right: Hill 34, Hill 44, and Hill 54. The River Bleu runs east-west down the center of the table.

My intent is to play a series of battles on a 6′ x 4′ layout, using small pieces, maybe 2′ x 2′ with 10mm troops. I’ve gone back to my old standby, Ivan’s “5Core Company Command.”

The German force: their CO, two Stugs, and five rifle squads.

The French force:
    Commanding Officer
    MG Team
    2 x 25mm Anti-Tank Guns
    Four Rifle Squads

My interpretation of the operational area, with the villages Dujour (top left), Deture (center), and Toujour (far right) and hills 34 (bottom center left), 44 (top center left), and 54 (bottom center right, with the River Bleu running east-west (top to bottom) at center.

The Germans cross the line of departure and are immediately met by French anti-tank fire from Hill 44.

Colonel Klink rallying the troops under fire.

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/08/kg-klink-france-game-8.html?m=1

More fights coming up. Next fight in this series is Lt Tausch leading 3rd Grenadier Platoon (supported by an MG-34, an 80mm mortar, and a 75mm Infantry Gun attempting to take Hill 34, a simultaneous attack west of the Blangy-Abbeville Road.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Fabulous looking game! Le teddy bear fur? Has me looking at 5Core Company CO again. Must check to see if I have the latest version.

Although our group is having a DBA renaissance at the moment. Fast and Furious, with hooves and oats.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Participant

Love the terrain and a German loss!!!! When will we see the French Tanks???

Participant

Vtsao – Thank you, Sir, I appreciate it!  Yeah, this is one of the new mats from “The Wargaming Company.”  I really like it; the fur is shorter, so works with 10mm troops, and the roads aren’t shorn into the mat so I can actually customize each map.  5Core Company Command has long been my favorite, can’t see ever permanently getting away from it, it checks all my boxes.

John – Thanks buddy, and yeah, that was a tough one, not altogether happy about how roughly the Kampfgruppe was handled!  Regarding French tanks, keep your shirt on, they’re coming.

V/R,
    Jack

Hmmmm, that’s not supposed to happen.

Participant

Yeah, I’ve been known to lose a game or two.  Keeps it interesting 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Jack, I have pics on my Cruel Seas thread.

Participant

Tough one! That one got out-of-control quickly…I think on balance it could have been even worse, since the random event effectively gave them a free kill too.

Great report, looking forward to the next one.

Participant

Hey John!  Yes, Sir, it got ugly early, but still, it could have gone either way.  5Core really brings the drama as momentum turns quickly and it’s possible to run off a series of quick wins in close combat, if the dice are with you.  Mine weren’t 😉

No sweat, and bringing up Major Schultz and 4th Platoon ensured the campaign was able to keep moving.  I’ll post the next fight on Sunday or Monday.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Woo-hoo! KGK is back. And I missed a whole week. I know nothin’k!

Jack, I’ll read KGK 8, 9 and 10 ASAP and then comment. It’s been too long. Thanks for posting these! Umm-umm good!

Cheers and good gaming!

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Hey Rod, glad to see you’re still kicking!  Yeah man, hurry and catch up.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I’ve been so impressed with your AAR’s Jack, that I’ve ordered 5CCC and am awaiting printing it off before having some trial games.

Participant

Thanks a bunch, Steve, I really appreciate that.  I hope you love them as I do, and if there’s anything I can do to help, just let me know.

V/R,

Jack

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.