Home Forums WWII KG Klink, Poland, Game 13

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

It’s 0730, 18 Sept 1939, and the Battle of Kutno is reaching its climax, with this day seeing the heaviest fighting. The Poles had repeatedly frustrated the German attempt to close the pocket, and aerial reconnaissance had found yet another bridge not disclosed on any German map, so the Kampgruppe’s new Executive Officer, 1st Lt Ost, led 1st Motorcycle and 4th Grenadier Platoons, along with two squads of attached engineers and two armored cars, to destroy the bridge. The intelligence section didn’t expect much in the way of opposition; typically, they were wrong, as the Poles were poised to fiercely defend one of the few remaining avenues out of the pocket.

The Germans are led by Lt Ost, then have Lt Weider’s 1st Motorcycle Platoon (of Sgt Gradl’s 2nd Squad and Cpl Pankau’s 3rd Squad), Officer Cadet Vetter’s 4th Grenadier Platoon (with Sgt Mader’s 1st Squad, Sgt Lehmkuhl’s 2nd Squad, and Cpl Imhofe’s 3rd Squad), Officer Cadet Distler and Sgt Keck’s armored cars, and engineer squads led by Sgt Barkstrom and Sgt Hafl.
    The Poles have their CO, an 82mm mortar, two .30 cal MGs, and seven rifle squads (three with anti-tank rifles).

Overview, north is up, Germans are at bottom right (southeast), Poles are spread across the board on blinds (poker chips).

Near calamity in the center, with two knocked out squads, and I lost my commanding officer…

Fierce fighting at the bridge, and my half-ass attempt at flamethrowers 😉

For the whole fight, please visit the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/02/kg-klink-poland-game-13.html

I’ve got three more write-ups to do. Notice I said three, because I played the final two games of the Poland campaign (I hope sixteen are enough!). Stay tuned for more write-ups, then I’ve got big plans for the upcoming 5Core Brigade Command, some air combat, a return to my FFL campaign, and a similar modern USMC campaign. I’m sure I won’t get to all of that before I return to KG Klink for the France 1940 campaign.

V/R,
    Jac

Participant

Cool !!!! Looking forward to the FFL game.

Participant

Great AAR, looking forward to the three remaining AARs …and the FFL …and the USMC …and 1940 (my personal fav for WWII).

Participant

Just Jack:

A very interesting report as always. It was quite a tooth and nail scrap in the centre before the situation was restored. You have got to admit that the Poles are tenacious fighters and that the Germans are getting mauled by them. Well, I’m finally caught up on reading the KG Klink Opus Magnus and await the invasion of France and the Low Countries. I want to see the Germans plotz themselves when they run into French DLM’s and DCR’s. Imagine the look on  Herr Klink’s face when the Somua S-35’s or the Char B1 bis tanks turn up. That will be memorable!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Hey, thanks fellas, I appreciate the kind words and the encouragement!  I’ll get to all I can, thinking about starting with modern USMC, though I actually forgot about WWII USMC “island hopping.’  I also have some air combat stuff I’m looking at; is anyone interested in simple dogfighting rules, WWI to roughly present (and I mean dogfighting, not BVR air combat with stealth, airborne C4ISR, etc…)?

“Imagine the look on  Herr Klink’s face when the Somua S-35’s or the Char B1 bis tanks turn up. That will be memorable!”
    Imagine the look on my face, I’m the one that’s gotta beat them!  So far I have 1 Char B, two Somuas, and three H35s (or 39s, I don’t recall).  I also have a Brit Matilda II, a Cruiser, two Matilda Is, and a couple Vickers.  I was actually perusing Pendraken’s website last night, pondering whether I need more French and German armor.  On the one hand, I’m a wargamer, so of course I want  more.  On the other, I don’t want to sink a lot more money into my early war Germans as it won’t get used (after France the KG is headed to the desert, not to Barbarossa), and if I don’t do that I don’t need more French (though I may drive historical purists crazy by putting French and Brit forces on the table together).

We’ll see…

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Oh, and it should go without saying, getting ready for and playing some 5Core Brigade Command.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack:

I look forward to seeing KG Klink fighting its way through the deep pile Ardennes Carpets to circumvent the Maginot Line and reach the Meuse!

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Snort…deep pile carpet….

Participant

It pains me to say it but Jack’s obvious knowledge of war and all things nasty makes his AAR’s the best I’ve ever read. They’re like reading an actual historical account of a battle. Obviously due to the prose used the battle account would have to be written and narrated by a belle with a deep southern drawl but heck if you can get past that they’re almost readable

Warning to the uninitiated though:I have found that eventual reading of Jack’s AAR’s can be  an extremely expensive exercise…I’m so done with carpet that I’ve decided to put down hard wood floor in the entire house

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Participant

I don’t mind a throw rug or two but hard wood floors are easier to clean. or in my case tile.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Why would you tile hardwood floors? Is that an Okie  thing? 

Literal Rod Robertson

Participant

Rod don’t try to understand these Yanks and their mad ways. Whether they clean or tile their hardwood floors or use excessive amounts of carpet to represent anything in God’s beautiful garden.

Which brings me to a theory. I’m beginning to question whether Jack has ever seen a real grass meadow, a real wheat field or a lush green hillside. I mean the lad’s a 41 year old Marine from Texas. In other words he’s either been living in a desert or working abroad in deserts all his life. In his Yankie language grass is either something you smoke or something you do when you’re informing on someone. With the lack of real vegetation in Jack’s life …ahem…we should be a little kinder in our criticisms.

But then again…

Participant

I have tile floors but like hard wood floors as well. Carpet is a pain to keep clean.

Participant

Keep it up with the carpet jokes, ya bastids.  Right now I’m cutting up a purple rug, which will serve as the pallet for all future battle report works of art.  Just for you guys I’m even going to begin basing my infantry on little pieces of carpet, and I’m going to fashion all my tanks out of carpet.  You’ll love it.

Tim – Thanks man, I’m glad you’re enjoying them.  It’s not Crossfire, but it works for me 😉  I, too, like most of my games ‘tank-less,’ but every now and again I go ‘tank-full,’ which is what is coming up next, so avert your eyes if you can’t stand it 😉

Panda – Thanks.  I think.  I’m not sure though.  The southern belle comments are making me quite uneasy, as it seems you’ve moved on from fantasizing about goats to…  Well, best left alone I suppose, but I’ve got a feeling you’ve probably been going through a lot of your wife’s lipstick recently.  Regarding grass, every clime and place, buddy, every clime and place.

Cheers fellas, next fight coming right up.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Will you make a little bomber out of carpet ???

Participant

Just Jack’s last road trip:

The War Panda’s last road trip:

Cheers.

Rod Robertson

Participant

That second video gives us some sound Scottish wisdom…wisdom that the rest of the world seems to have neglected

This is video and song was originally  inspired by Jack’s Marine Devil Dogs during his time in basic training and his unit discovered his “unique” athletic prowess. Also explains why he’s known as Loca

Rod getting his pizza delivered and demonstrating rare footage of that legendary Scottish charm

Participant

I drive a white Dodge pick up…or a small red Chevy.

Participant

The War Panda:

Loca the Pug is da bomb! Bloody brilliant that. I near pissed myself, I was laughing so hard. And I had the misfortune to glance at your video in a wee break between parent-teacher interviews at the school where I teach. Well, I had a stupid smile on my face and was wracked by periodic bouts of inane giggling for the whole damn evening. They must think me mad. Great choice of video. Just Jack and the Marine Corps should be honoured to have such a distinguished dog (that’s dawg in Texican, Jack) associated with them. However, I have learned that when dealing with our cherished cousins from the south, there is a fine line between Loca and loco, so Jack will ,no doubt, find something to go apoplectic about. Perhaps it would be wise to steer clear of Texas for awhile. However, I think Kyote-B (that’s his ghetto name) should find a kindred spirit in Wee Loca, so you should be cool in Oklahoma.

As to your other video, sir, we have a serious problem. You have misrepresented me and I am most aggrieved. I WOULD NEVER RETURN THE PIZZA! I love these ambrosia pies too much to surrender even one tasty morsel back to a delinquent delivery man. I would kick him, beat him and generally go medieval on him but he would not get the pie back. As the Irish say,”No, nay, never, no nay never no more” would the pies of the gods be returned to the oafish hands of such a cretinous and retarded courier. To do so would be a crime most foul. Unthinkable that! Sinful in fact.

Cheers and giggles.

Rod Robertson

Participant

Well, I for one enjoyed the view into Panda’s home life, and kudos, that’s a lovely singing voice you’ve got on display there John 😉

I must ask though; does anyone in the Isles have any bass in there voice?  Why does everyone sound like ornery, 80-year old ladies?

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

You’re a teacher Rod? Well this is especially for you then. This is basically the amalgamation of every Irish teacher I ever had. And now that I know you’re a teacher I’m sure that last video is a total misrepresentation. I believe you would have kept the pizza 🙂

Participant

The War Panda:

If that was an amalgamation of the teachers who shaped your education, then I applaud you for you have done a fine job of educating yourself. That was painful to watch but thankfully it only vaguely reminded me of one teacher in my education. Most of my teachers were good to excellent on the pedagogic spectrum, so perhaps I was lucky. It was I who was the irritating boor in their midst. Now, for a clearer notion of what I think is a good comedy segment about teaching, I offer the following by Taylor Mali:

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

He actually brings up a very good question. How much do you earn Rod

Participant

The War Panda (Al-Panda el Harb):

What do I earn?

I earn the right to call myself a teacher every day I make students wake up and see the world anew, the way they saw it when they were babes – a world full of mystery and wonder. I earn an inner smile and a mental “Oh yah!” when a student finally understands something which they could not get their head around before. I earn the hatred of slackers and charmers when I make them do their homework either at home, or in school, or after school or for three hours on a Saturday morning. I earn the gratitude of students who come back to school years after their graduation and tell me that I was a demanding “Son of a B” who prepared them well for college and university. I earn the respect of parents when I get their kids to do things and think new thoughts which they couldn’t do before. I earn my 20-30 minute lunch-break. I earn a formal sort of  friendship with teenaged students who I listen to and counsel on the many challenges of growing up in a world full of angst, horror, love and opportunity. I earn the satisfaction of seeing wonder and disbelief on the faces my students when a Chemistry or Biology demo or lab goes off perfectly and they realize that the textbooks are right. I earn the awe of students when they see tables full of terrain and miniatures illustrating conflicts from Kadesh to the Fall of Berlin in History. I earn the good feeling I get when a shy kid shines and argues like pro in Civil and Criminal Law moot court. I earn the long summer vacations I get as a teacher in order to avoid burn-out and to re-educate myself (and to paint miniatures if the weather doesn’t get too hot and humid).

However what I earn does not matter. What matters is not reward for making the journey but the journey itself. So I earn the right to wake up every morning at 4:00 am and work until 6:30 am, then drive to work at 6:45, to teach from 7:30 until 3:00 pm, to run a Homework Supervision programme from 3:00 – 4:00 pm, to coach water-polo and rugby-15’s from 4:05 – 5:30 at various times during the year and to finally come home to eat dinner and work for two to three hours at night. I earn whatever sleep I can get. And I earn the freedom to not divert what little of my time I can devote to mini’s and gaming by learning how to post stuff on the interweb!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

P.S. Just Jack – I apologize for high-jacking your thread with my little speech.

Participant

<ul id=”topic-17694-replies” class=”forums bbp-replies”>
    <li class=”bbp-body”>
    <div class=”post-18160 reply type-reply status-publish hentry even bbp-parent-forum-2006 bbp-parent-topic-17694 bbp-reply-position-25 user-id-924″>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>
    <div id=”d4p-bbp-quote-18160″>

“P.S. Just Jack – I apologize for high-jacking your thread with my little speech.”

</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <li class=”bbp-footer”>Don’t worry about it Rod, didn’t you know it’s customary to “Bye” Jack his thread after the traditional and rudimentary insults to his carpet…I mean terrain

Participant

The War Panda:

You’re either speaking in tongues or something has gone horribly awry on TWW? All I could discern from your comment was a wee bit of faux scorn directed at poor old Jack.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

“All I could discern from your comment was a wee bit of faux scorn directed at poor old Jack.”

Well that was the main gist  of it  🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.