Home Forums General Board Games and Card Games Kickstarter of an app-enhanced board game

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Thorsten Frank
    Participant

Got this in my FB feed. This seems like an interesting concept (ok, not really wargame related as it seems). But I wonder if this may be a possible, partly, future of the hobby e.g. small chips clipped on bases or the minis itself and the maths done by an smartphone app. Don´t get me wrong, I don´t think now of replacing the current ways but in an additional way especially in regards of solo play.
    Maybe even in some sort of “generic” means like one company makes the minis, another one the rules and another one a generic app and/or the chips.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/three-headed-monster/1518897147?ref=s2b3er&token=c4d71861&fbclid=IwAR1nNJSl4VLLIuLHqGQEYB6Qc1DvR9JqUpMnorXegj0oGZA0RkvUffyTIPo

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Thomaston
    Participant

There was Golem Arcana. Din’t know how its doing now.

It might be great for more complex games like air combat or Harpoon, with the smartphone/tablet doing the calculations. Or augmented reality of missiles and bullets flying when you point the device at the minis. Or have some blind counters with the chips and the device will show it as empty or enemy unit depending on if your unts sees it or not.

Ultimately though I tink these are gimicks, it’s drawing attention away or adding another link in the decision making chain that I think makes games fun.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Russell Phillips
    Participant

It’s an interesting idea, but I have some concerns. Presumably nobody knows what the odds of any particular outcome, whereas with a standard game, the odds are in the rule book. That could potentially mean that people who play a lot will work out the odds, and gain an advantage over anyone that doesn’t play often.

Also, there was mention in one video that lights change colour or flicker sometimes to indicate particular things. That suggests that players could miss important information if they were distracted at that moment. I don’t like that kind of thing, but it may well appeal to others.

It might be great for more complex games like air combat or Harpoon, with the smartphone/tablet doing the calculations. Or augmented reality of missiles and bullets flying when you point the device at the minis. Or have some blind counters with the chips and the device will show it as empty or enemy unit depending on if your unts sees it or not.

I used to have computer programs that did the calculations and book-keeping in miniature wargames. I also wrote a program for modern naval wargaming that did that, but also tracked the location of all units. The idea was to allow submarines to be used stealthily, potentially carrying out an attack without the opponent having any idea of where they were.

Military history author

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.