Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Kraków Winged Hussars (3mm Sci Fi)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

Just finished these bad boys up, after wasting time and finding excuses not to for more than a year. The Hussars are Polish mercenaries who specialize in airmobile and interface combat. If all goes according to plan, I’m going to send them up against either the Regimento Acero or the Clavian Lunar Hoplites this weekend, in the jungles of Costaguana.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

They came out great, loving the paintjob!

Angel Barracks

Nobody touch nothin’

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

These are very pretty. The paint scheme turned out perfect! Any chance of getting a close up on the infantry?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Closeups!

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

My, those are pretty. Love the dropship canopies!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Glad you like them my friend. Smile.

But really. All seriousness aside, I was particularly happy with the dropships. The casting on all the O8 material is really crisp and takes detail painting very well. Heavy drybrushing, that is, not just the hitting the high areas but actually applying large areas of color across the whole model, is particularly effective in getting the shading of reds and golds just about right at this scale. You can probably see in the background that I have some 10mm scale Dropzone Commander mechs that I’m trying to do a similar way, albeit with somewhat less success so far. You may also notice the white-and-black tanks that are going to be the genesis of a United Nations force… Or possibly the Lunar Hoplites. I haven’t decided yet, but I always lean towards the UN for some reason.  My inner internationalist, I suppose. A United Nations Peacekeeping Force Sulaco appeals to me, as does the portmanteau UNPROSUL (United Nations Protection And Implementation Force, Sulaco), even though the UN is kind of a spent force in the game world I’ve devised.

Trencher
    Participant

Oh, these are nice indeed. Love those dropships, especially the painting of the canopies. Perhaps 3mm could be worth a consideration for some spaceship modeling…

Tank Polo? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Participant

Beautiful  !

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Mr. Average
    Participant

Thanks for saying so, guys! I’m trying to see how small-unit groups like this work out at 3mm scale. So far, they work very well. The idea is that they be easy to play with and in small, manageable chunks for such game systems as Dirtside II. The Hussars unit here would probably yield a smallish game, playable in about an hour or so. With its V/STOL dropship units and interface-landing capabilities (in Dirtside it lets you deploy directly to the field of battle instead of in a setup zone), it’s probably a more challenging unit to play with, so I wouldn’t hand it to a beginner right away.

By the way, on a related subject, I have to say that the heavy-cardboard terrain hexes from O8 work very well for me. They are resilient and so far very resistant to warping – I can use liquid spray (Woodland Scenics Terrain Cement) to flock them, which is a huge advantage in terms of controlling time and messiness. Even if you don’t have a whole board made entirely of hexes, they are very handy, I’m finding, for making area terrain templates like forests and built-up-areas, which can be laid down over a terrain mat such as those from Cigar Box Battles (also excellent and fairly economical).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.