Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century Lament Ridge II, Rebels & Patriots AAR

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Two games set in the American Revolution last night AAR

Heavy on pictures, light on text:

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Participant

When I get the time I’ll get my Continentals painted up, for now, I’m still working on two French and Indian Wars French Line units.  Thanks for the AAR!!!

Participant

Good stuff there.  It all seems to work well.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

The mechanics work pretty well. I rationalize a unit failing to activate within range of the enemy as ineffective shooting or confusion. While I don’t agree with some of the ways they rate certain troops in the lists at the end, these are just suggestions and I can rate the troops in ways that fit my notions.

I am thinking of highlanders of the ’45…

Participant

Ah Highlanders.  In my view there are two things to think about.  First Highlanders were hugely formidable in melee.  Secondly, If things were working they fired one volley at close range before closing.  Not all Highlanders owned a piece but the ones who did were good shots, used to aimed fire.  They moved very fast so 8 rather than 6.  I’d be inclined to go Shock Infantry and no first fire bonus as a first experiment.

OB

Participant

I’m thinking the Native troop type better represents Highlanders than Indians. They move 8″, melee like shock troops and can fire half-strength as they move. Also, there is a charge bonus. If Natives manage to close without being disordered or decimated, they roll 12 dice with 4+ for hits while the defending Line Infantry get 12 dice needing 6 for a hit. Even if the Natives close in disorder, that’s still a fairly even fight, 6 dice at 4+ to 12 at 6.

And if you make one of the clans aggressive, that’s 12 dice at 3+. Make a couple others green to offset the extra points.

Participant

Yeah that works.  It’d be interesting to try out.  The more things can be kept within the rules as written the better I think.

OB

Participant

Correction: Natives can skirmish (move fire, fire half) and move at full speed through close country. They cannot use the fire action (fire with all dice), so they really must close with cold steel or skirmish in close country. Not perfect, but closer to Highlanders I think than either classing them as aggressive Line Infantry or as Shock Infantry (too slow, too expensive).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.