Home Forums Air and Sea Air lancaster radio dambusters

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wardog
    Participant

guys watched the dambuster movies ,got a question

they are over the dam 400-500 mile from uk at height approx 50-100ft ,they broadcast morse code back to uk mission status (dam burst). at above height 50-100ft ,radio range would be short 20 miles ?to get 100 miles would need 10000ft altitude unless i misunderstand my sources ,did they use a relay aircraft or what am i missing ?

Etranger
    Participant

They weren’t at 100 feet after the attack run. Gibson was circling at a higher altitude than that observing. In any case the bombers had to climb after the attack run or risk flying into the surrounding hills. At least one did IIRC.

John D Salt
    Participant

guys watched the dambuster movies ,got a question

they are over the dam 400-500 mile from uk at height approx 50-100ft ,they broadcast morse code back to uk mission status (dam burst). at above height 50-100ft ,radio range would be short 20 miles ?to get 100 miles would need 10000ft altitude unless i misunderstand my sources ,did they use a relay aircraft or what am i missing ?

Why would they need 10,000 feet? I suspect you’re thinking of VHF line-of-sight propagation.

I assume that the Lancasters would be carrying the usual R1155/T1154 W/T set, which operates in HF, MF and even LF bands.

All the best,

John.

Be a laugh as to how they airbrush the codeword for a breach of the Mohne Dam from history, if they ever do the film’s re-make!

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

wardog
    Participant

john t salt

rookie with regards radios maybe it was that vhf setup

that radio r1155/t1154 what would be the max range of that set ?

John D Salt
    Participant

that radio r1155/t1154 what would be the max range of that set ?

I can’t give a precise figure, but long, depending on transmission power, antenna gain, and atmospherics. Remember that in the mid-30s an Imperial Airways flight maintained radio contact with base all the way across the Atlantic. People who recall old-fashioned radio dials may recall markings such as “Luxemburg” and “Hilversum”. MF sets in the UK could receive transmissions from terrestrial (admittedly powerful) transmitters in those locations, with no special skill required by the operator. Some people my age may recall, when the Cold War was still on, staying up late and switching their radios to long wave to tune in to such jolly entertainment as Radio Tirana, or the Radio Kiev English Service.

All the best,

John.

wardog
    Participant

john d salt

you got me interested in that mid 30 imperial airways flight  (research time now ) will get back to you if i don’t find it ,if ok with you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.