Home Forums General General Lanchester Calculation – any help available?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Phil Dutré Phil Dutré 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

So any flawed model that ‘works’ is a good model, because it…works? Even though, or perhaps because, it employs spurious data?

Blimey. I thought maths was hard, this logic business is even harder 🙁

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

As another off topic (sort of) aside – how come you lot can chunter on about ‘program’ v ‘programme’ for hours and I get the Joyce Grenfell rebuke of ‘Are we still discussing gaming?’ from Mike within 6 minutes when I mention the redundant nature of ‘going forward’? George. Don’t do that. And yes it has been niggling. Off to ragesulk.

Sorry Guy. Only just checked in on this topic..

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Don’t worry – just having a whinge going forward.

Phil Dutré
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

One shouldn’t assign magical properties to Lanchester’s law. As explained before, the only working assumptions are that you have 2 numbers (force strengths), which decrease over time proportional to the strength of the enemy at that point in time. Working out the math then gives you the square law. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less.

Whether this is a viable model for modeling a lengthy combat between 2 forces only means you discuss the starting assumptions. But the square law model could as well be applied to a situation in economics, or a situation in a sports game, or how you want to divide the chores in the household, anything really, as long as you think that having 2 numbers that decrease over time proportional to each other is a working model for whatever you want to model 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.