Home Forums General General Laser pointer

This topic contains 13 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

I’ve just purchased a laser pointer for all of $2 (incl P&P) from AliExpress.

I’m going to use it to determine LoS; particularly in my WW2 games.

Do other people do this or am I being a bit anal? We rarely argue about LoS in our games but I thought it might be a fun bit of kit to add.

donald

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

We used laser pointers on the rare occasion that there was a question.  They worked fine in that role.

We ultimately found that we preferred small parascopes made from craft store mirrors though.  It was kind of interesting getting the figure’s view of things, which was often quite different than what was expected.

Phil Dutré
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

Many years ago I bought a WH40K laser pointer (not that I played 40K, but it seems like a fun thing to have). Barely ever used it in games, too much hassle. It’s easier to eyeball LOS or use a simple stick. It might depend on how much importance you give to be 100% accurate in determining LOS.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Many years ago I bought a WH40K laser pointer (not that I played 40K, but it seems like a fun thing to have). Barely ever used it in games, too much hassle. It’s easier to eyeball LOS or use a simple stick. It might depend on how much importance you give to be 100% accurate in determining LOS.

You’re probably right, Phil, but for $2, I won’t cry if it turns out to be superfluous.

donald

Don Glewwe
    Don Glewwe
    Participant

Dunno about LOS usage (too dependent, imo, on the ‘accuracy’ of the tabletop…seems a die roll would serve just as well?).

I’ve gotten some utility from pointers as the name states: On a crowded table they serve well to indicate which figure/unit/terriain feature/whatever is being singled out for an action or subject of discussion.

http://www.glewwe-castle.com/brawl-factory/

DM
    DM
    Participant

laser pointers that project a line on the table are great for LOS determination. Single dots not so handy. IMHO

Steve Price
    Participant

We use them at the Berkeley Vale club. Resolves cleat line of site issues 

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

laser pointers that project a line on the table are great for LOS determination. Single dots not so handy. IMHO

Indeed. I use an Army Painter laser line to good effect in several games.  Removes all doubt and discussion.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

We ultimately found that we preferred small parascopes made from craft store mirrors though.  It was kind of interesting getting the figure’s view of things, which was often quite different than what was expected.

Have done this in the past, works really well as long as your table isn’t too wide and you don’t have to lean waaaaay too far over.  As we get older out balance gets to wonky for that sort of thing!

This!  Works wonders in tournament games where people worry over the tiny crazy things.

In all honesty, nowadays I’m not so concerned about the seriousness or perfection of one troop’s LOS to another, we eyeball it and just play on as these games are all casual and we try to not sweat the small stuff.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

I also have the Army Painter laser – it’s great for checking arcs of fire and LOS. The main advantage is you don’t have to bend over the table so much, though I must say it can be hard to keep your hand steady enough if you need to be precise. The good old fashioned tape measure is usually better for accuracy.

I can imagine the dot laser pointers might be handy for 3D Necromunda-style skirmish games. Can I see that guy on the third floor through that 2nd floor doorway? – that kind of thing.

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

I also have the Army Painter laser – it’s great for checking arcs of fire and LOS. The main advantage is you don’t have to bend over the table so much, though I must say it can be hard to keep your hand steady enough if you need to be precise. The good old fashioned tape measure is usually better for accuracy. I can imagine the dot laser pointers might be handy for 3D Necromunda-style skirmish games. Can I see that guy on the third floor through that 2nd floor doorway? – that kind of thing.

Forgot sbout Necromunda, been sooo long since we played that, but yes, we used a dot pointer in that game.  Two things about tape measures though, they do bend(!) and I don’t want to expand one to 48” or so across the table to check the L.O.S. of my Nashorn!  Fraught with danger.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Les Hammond
    Participant

I’m not sure laser pointers that project a line down on to the table do what the gamer requires, although I’ve seen many gamers use them and seem to be happy with what they do.

But it only draws a straight line in one plane -a cross section of table, if you will- and obstructions of any height will merely have a red line drawn across it in 2D.

Dot pointers are better. If a tree or rise in the ground interrupts the beam, it’s in the way.

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

norm smith
    norm smith
    Participant

Army painter line drawing laser works for me. I am doing hex games and want to establish the line from the centre of a hex to the centre of another hex. If it becomes too close to call, I revert to a long wooden dowel instead.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by norm smith norm smith.

http://commanders.simdif.com

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

I got a laser that will project a straight line. It was intended to fit to a band saw or something, but worked fine detached.

Unfortunately I lost it, but it was handy for checking LOS in Squad Leader 🙂

For us it was more a fun toy. Like “Oh BEEP, this is a serious moment, we’re bringing out the FRIGGEN LASER”. It always got the players to laugh and feel involved.

We have dot pointers too, but I make the slightest sound with that, the cat wakes up from across the house and comes running because its play-time.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.