Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Sci-fi / Fantasy Laserstorm What size game?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tim Snoddy
    Participant

Ivan will attest I am a big fan of Laserstorm.  So much so I have been playing in 15mm and 6mm.  Playing with a bare minimum of units, 9-12 in 15mm can feel crowded at times on a 6×4 table.  Hoping to get an 8×4 soon.  In the meantime I have been playing in 6mm and played a game yesterday with 11 units versus 12.  It seemed vaguely unsatisfying.  One deadly attack on a key unit being enough to sway the game.  This happened yesterday when my opponents main anti tank unit lost 2 of 3 stands in the first shot of the game.

I was wondering what people have found to give the best games.  How many task forces, how many units?  Mostly infantry?  Do a large number of small terrain pieces work better than larger ones?  Plenty of terrain blocking LOS?  Basically any tips for getting a good game going.

I would love to try a scenario based game but I have no regular opponent thus making it hard for a casual opponent to gauge if a scenario is balanced.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Cheers!

A few notes I can supply:

With relatively sparse terrain, the intent is for the game to hit the same pace as Space Marine 2nd edition did: Mostly resolved in 3 turns or so.

Recommendation is to go fairly heavy on the terrain, particularly for infantry and other units to break line of sight.
    Due to how combat works, combining fire from multiple units tends to bring down even relatively heavy ones.
    It’s more about blocking sight than about cover bonuses. A tank is invulnerable if the enemy can’t see it 🙂

The game was mostly tested around 12-15 individual units, with the general inclination to go bigger rather than smaller. Again, mostly to emulate good old Space Marine.
    About a third infantry, a third tanks and a third “other” being whatever you felt like bringing.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Willard Moore
    Participant

We play 5500 point games.  We take about 40 minutes to set up, and finish in four hours.  Our forces are a mix of vehicles, infantry, light vehicles, and super heavy vehicles.  No problems, the rules and game play flow well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.