Home Forums WWII Late war British para webbing colour?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Harry Faversham Harry Faversham 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Grimheart
    Grimheart
    Participant

Just starting painting up some british paratroops after a long spell on vehicles and other stuff.

Reveiwing sources, books, reenactors pics, google pics, various wargame manuafacturers pics and so on seem to give all sorts of colours from green to yellow to linen for webbing and anklets.

The green seems odd to me and i have tended to favour a yellowish or light linen colour as it stands out more.

So does any one have a definitive answer as to what colour it should be, or is it as i suspect a case of “depends” ?

Cheers for thoughts on the matter!

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

Late war nwe webbing should be Blanco KG3, a mid/dark green.

Other theatres (esp Italy) may be different.

That is the colour of my South Staffs enactment webbing, but my toy paras have unblancoed tan webbing as I think it looks nicer😀

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

grizzlymc
    grizzlymc
    Participant

In the recollections of rifleman Bowlby, he mentions getting some blanco for their webbing, which must have been dark green as he says that the faded natural webbing provided a magnificent aiming point for the Germans in woodlands. Earlier in Italy they would use the unblancoed webbing which apparently fades to almost white. Of course, YMMV. I am thinking of making my Rifle brigade wear black boot polished webbing, just because I read somewhere that they did.

For the benefit of those not familiar with British army nomenclature, the Rifle Brigade are as regiment of half track infantry found in an armoured brigade, just to clear up any misunderstanding..

NTM
    NTM
    Participant

Here’s a Vallejo colour chart for webbing/blanco created by Tony Barton

KG3 does seem to have been the most common from D-day onwards but I still tend to paint as are webbing as prefer the contrast.

Blanco No. KG3 Khaki Green (Dark)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by NTM NTM.
    MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

KG3 (like all green dyes on cotton fades pretty quickly in sun and rain.

For all you ever wanted to know about blanco, https://www.blancoandbull.com

In the desert and Italy it as common to scrub the webbing which remove most of the original tan dye which made it almost white. More a mark of desert veteran status than anything practical, like DAK troops bleaching their caps.

Regimental Sergeant Majors had much to say what was and wasn’t appropriate in terms of webbing colour. It should be noted that many items of webbing were not intended to be blancod, including rifle slings and certain types of equipment carriers. Which doesn’t mean that some regiments still didn’t do it.

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

Meant to add, 44 pattern webbing (and it’s successor 58 pattern)  started off dyed dark green in tht first place.

Grimheart
    Grimheart
    Participant

Thanks all.

Looks like blanco kg3 dark green it is then.

Or at least something close (ish) he says, rumaging thru all the greens and browns he currently has for anything similar……!

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

It’s worth mentioning, in order to clear up any misunderstanding, that Blanco was a coloured wax paste, akin to shoe-polish, that was rubbed onto webbing – either as a camouflage colour, or as a ceremonial colour (i.e. white or black).  It also served to waterproof the canvas webbing.  The webbing itself was naturally a light buff-khaki colour, as mentioned above.  As it was subjected to wear, the blanco would flake off and need constant maintenance and as a consequence it was very common for troops to simply scrub it off, exposing the natural buff-khaki colour.

At least one Canadian Rifle regiment (Queen’s Own Rifles, I think?) used black blanco in the field as a ‘regimental thing’.

Webbing wasn’t dyed green until the 44 Pattern, which remained very rare even in 1945.  Some Indian factories also produced 37 Pattern dyed in Jungle Green for use in the CBI Theatre, but again they remained rare and troops in that theatre often painted their webbing green or black using vehicle paint.

As has been said: Some things were never meant to be blanco’d.  In particular, the cotton bandoliers for holding extra rifle ammunition were just thin, pinkish cotton and would never, ever be blanco’d.  The bandoliers were completely disposable and were usually issued already filled with ammunition and then thrown away when the ammo was used up.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Jemima Fawr Jemima Fawr.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Harry Faversham
    Harry Faversham
    Participant

Here you go, 1 to 1 scale 1944 British Airborne webbing. Both soldiers ’37 pattern webbing has been blancoed green, note the difference in shade to the Bren wallet in the right hand bloke’s hand, that bit of webbing has not been blancoed. By Arnhem webbing chinstraps had started being issued, these were not to be blancoed. The disposable .303 cotton bandoliers can be seen on the bloke on the right…

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

grizzlymc
    grizzlymc
    Participant

That bloke on the right looks as if he is about to get his arse blown off by a PIAT.

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

What colour Blanco for the curtains…? 

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Grimheart
    Grimheart
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Much appreciated.

grizzlymc
    grizzlymc
    Participant

What colour Blanco for the curtains…?

I think the curtains were done with the “Gay striped” blanco standard issue to Royal Marines and rearguard.

Harry Faversham
    Harry Faversham
    Participant

Well it’s Arnhem, innit… so the curtains are Vellejo orange.

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.