Home Forums WWII Le Haut Perrier 6mm Normandy game

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Autodidact-O-Saurus Autodidact-O-Saurus 6 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mark Luther
    Participant

I stole this scenario from a couple of websites that had AARs of “Lets Get the Bastards’ game 12 from the TooFatLardies book “Cymru Am Byth” This is an attack for control of the little cluster of farm buildings on top of hill 242 overlooking Chenedolle at Le Haut Perrier on August 11, 1944.
    What I really liked about this scenario was three troops of 3rd Scots Guards Churchill tanks in a Normandy setting.
    Link to flickr set with AAR:

Churchills trying to hit some panzers

View from the Northwest by Mark Luther[/url], on Flickr

Dug in Panthers by Mark Luther[/url], on Flickr

Panthers waiting at the top of the ridge farm by Mark Luther[/url], on Flickr

Churchills looking for a path up by Mark Luther[/url], on Flickr

Churchills trying to hit some panzers by Mark Luther[/url], on Flickr

Mark

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

That’s some great looking terrain.  Particularly photo #2.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Very, very nice terrain.

Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

lovely looking game

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Thomaston
    Participant

Me three. It’s like a big diorma.
    I’m really impressed by the dirt road.

Tired is enough.

Mark Luther
    Participant

Chalk pastels work really well for roads.  Just throw the sheet in the wash afterwards.  Any residue just gets spray painted over before next game.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Ainsworth
    Participant

you’ve got me wishing I had 6mm stuff now,

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Great looking game.  Man, those Churchies really had it rough with the domination of the Panthers.  I hope the players learned something from their lack of coordination.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

David Brown
    Participant

Fantastic terrain!

DB

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Mark, thanks for another great AAR. You do lay on gorgeous games!

I particularly enjoyed this AAR as the ground is quite familiar to me; a gang of us were over there for the D-Day 75th anniversary week and did a staff ride round there, focusing on the Operation Bluecoat action that led up to your battle.

Did your German players have anything to do other than roll firing dice? Not that that’s necessarily a problem – plenty of folks are quite happy with that plus good company and a good-looking layout to banter across – but this jaded grognard likes to have some decisions to make, and some maneuver to do: committing reserves, or counterattacking, or shifting forces from a quiet sector to the problem area etc … and a simple frontal attack vs prepared defence often doesn’t allow enough of that for me. Still, I’m sure I’d have enjoyed your game; hope your new recruits had a good time despite having to learn the hard way.  🙂

Personally I like higher-level action, commanding a corps rather than a company. Here’s my AAR on our Bluecoat games in Normandy (sadly no beautiful pics to compare with yours!):

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2019/06/operation-bluecoat-wilderness-in-bocage.html

Please keep the eye candy coming.

Chris

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

’tis indeed a lovely layout. Shows the real advantages of small scale stuff.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.