Home Forums Ancients Leather Lorica Segmentata – historical or Hollywood?

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

3 Undoubtedly. Weapon vs Armour tests can be helpful. Like all algorithms (always helpful to use a buzzword) it depends on the design and inputs.

Just a word here. I posted those modern tests not because they demonstrate laws of physics, but because they at least partially confirm what several primary sources claim: that cloth or leather armor can stop or greatly reduce the effect of arrows fired from what we know to be powerful bows.

Now, granted, Native Americans didn’t have modern (or even iron) arrowheads, as NCS points out. But the quality of arrowheads in AD 100 Scotland probably wasn’t that great either.

The main point being this: if you’re going to be fighting cattle raiders or policing the market and need to move fast, you might actually prefer some sort of leather armor.

There is very little archeological evidence that Romans used leather armor and NONE that they used leather segementada (although I am sure someone, somewhere in the empire had a set made if only for cosplay purposes.)

But if you are looking for excuses as to why your particular Romans are using leather armor, there they are.

4 We know exactly what we think we know. Interpretations vary. (Do NOT read Foucault et al until you have mastered this brief).

LOL. 🙂 Indeed, don’t even talk to Foucaultians until you have mastered that.

History is not fantasy and gaming it should aspire towards recreating the laws of physics pertaining if not the entire gamut of violent human interaction involved.

History is not fantasy, but gaming it almost always is. What we are talking about here is individual tolerance for suspension of disbelief.

Me, personally? All my games — even the historical ones — take place in parallel universes and are actually alternative history games, when not openly fantasy. I don’t think I have ever tried to recreate a battle, gaming. So for me, if I felt the need to have some Romans dressed in leather armor, I’d go for it. I feel this frees me up creatively and calms down my vestigial OCD.

Those people who do actually try to recreate history through gaming obviously would have another take on this and would be completely justified in trying to get things as close to original probable conditions as possible.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

PatricePatrice
    Participant

History is not fantasy and gaming it should aspire towards recreating the laws of physics

I think that fantasy should also aspire towards recreating the laws of physics, except when the characters or kingdoms involved have enough power or money to use some laws of magic instead. But that’s another subject.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Not Connard SageNot Connard Sage
    Participant

Where did NCS go? Oh. I somehow appeared to have ignored him. No idea how.

🙁 what did I do?

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Guy FarrishGuy Farrish
    Participant

Unless you installed an oversensitive track pad and gave me sausage fingers, nothing.

Yet.

Not Connard SageNot Connard Sage
    Participant

Where did NCS go? Oh. I somehow appeared to have ignored him. No idea how. That’s better (probably) What I was going to say before interrupting myself:

1. Yes. (though takeaway point is: where is the evidence for LLS?).

3. I don’t see an argument. We agree.

4. My point precisely.

I suppose an alternative explanation for LLS in hollywood movies is that they were really slovenly soldiers who had allowed their metal lorica segmentata to become rusty 🙂

Maybe I should go and read Foucault. Is it pronounced f…never mind.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Maybe I should go and read Foucault. Is it pronounced f…never mind.

Here at Chez daSilva-Blanchette, we affectionately call him “Mickey Fuckall”.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.