Home Forums Renaissance Leonardo da Vinci & the Prince of Foxes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been working on a game I was planning on running at Historicon (Although it hasn’t been officially cancelled yet, I’ll be very surprised if the convention happens.)

The game is called Leonardo da Vinci and the Prince of Foxes. The plot line for the game is loosely based on the historical novel The Prince of Foxes by Samuel Shellabarger and the movie of the same name starring Tyrone Power, Everett Sloane, and Orson Welles. I then combined it with the speculative war machine designs of Leonardo da Vinci.

I’ll be using primarily Dragon Rampant but lifting thing from the rest of the Lion Rampant rules family for this, including Pikeman’s Lament.

A lot more pictures on my blog:

http://bogdanwaz.blogspot.com/2020/05/leonardo-da-vinci-prince-of-foxes.html

Participant

Quite madly brilliant!

Fantastic concept, superb realisation.

You have to run this somewhere, sometime – too good not to go ahead in future.

Participant

Superb!

Participant

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more comment here on this project.

I know Renaissance gaming tends to be a bit of a Cinderella period but this is one of the most exciting looking, pretty, innovative and well executed games I’ve seen in a long time.

I confess I am a bit of a two upside down shoe boxes with windows and doors drawn in with felt tips for a town type of person a lot of the time. I like the game and think prettiness can sometimes detract from the idea of playing.

I am not immune from the look of the thing however, and this is one of those that has it for me. The terrain and ‘odd’ da Vinci engines all work in the look and spirit of the game and it just feels as m’learned friend above said: ‘superb’.

Sorry for going over the top, but this is one of those pictures that sucks you in and the more you look the more you see that makes you want to play.

Absolutely brilliant!

Thanks again for showing us.

It is very pretty, and very rich in a good way. I like feeling “transported” to other times and places (both historical and fantastical) by wargaming set-ups and this does that for me.

If only it didn’t tempt me to start modelling renaissance buildings 🙂

Participant

I hope Historicon can go as I’d love to see this game in person.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Thank you all for the kind comments.  Regardless of whether Historicon goes off this year, this game will be appearing at some public forum in the future.

Participant

This is quite wonderful! I’m having to work very hard to avoid fluttering off to another new project, I have for a while been attracted to the TT Venetian buildings, and now I know what needs to be done with them.

This gentleman, who sits next to my desk sends his heartiest congratulations!

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Your hands must have been guided by the shades of Leonardo himself! Brilliant! If you do not bring this to a convention or two, it will be a grievous and heinous crime against wargaming. Absolutely love the little details like the Vatican choir.

Good choice of rules too. Simple and fast – perfect for a multiplayer convention game.

Participant

Wow this is truly inspiring. I have never seen da Vinci’s inventions used in a game before. Very cool! Next: Ornithopters, machine guns, machine crossbows (16 crossbows), multi stone catapult, etc. His military inventions were numerous.

Edit> I visited the blog. You have covered everything I mentioned except the crossbow machine. Unbelievably cool!

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Participant

Great googly moogly, man.  That’s pretty amazing!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.