Home Forums General General Looking to start a 6mm photo thread

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am looking to start a photo thread sort of like Irishserb’s Cold War Vehicle thread but covering all periods. The intent is to provide good pictures of miniatures which are either not illustrated in a supplier’s on line presence or badly so. For instance I find many of H&R’s infantry pics small, dark and obscured by terrain on the bases. Irregular’s pictures could be larger plus their’s, H&R and Scotia (plus many more) have lots of unillustrated minis. This is to be an open thread for all to contribute pictures to.

So what I want to know is where to put this thread (forum or sub forum but on this site) as it is intended to cover all periods and theatres. Also if anyone has other ideas or thoughts. First thought may be if the supplier wants to sell stuff they should do a better job. Maybe but a few of us want to know what we are getting before we order and IMHO that comes first. If the supplier has a decent photo please don’t post more shots of your favorite paint job etc.. If you are a supplier and are coming out with something I feel you could post it but withdraw the image after a month if your on line site as something similar. I leave it up to Mike to comment on that though. I also find some sites just give crappy small pictures for everything, don’t know what to do about that. I would prefer primed and washed figures but no one but me will do that (I bought a bunch of disparate 6mm from Irregular and in order to see them myself that is what I did) but I would prefer not in raw metal as they can be hard to make out. If you have painted figures which are clear to see that would be fine as far as I am concerned. Thank you.

Keymaster

General / General seems as good a place as any.

Participant

Also if anyone has other ideas or thoughts.

You would be very welcome to post it on the 6mm group: [email protected]

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Keymaster

You would be very welcome to post it on the 6mm group: [email protected]

That is an e-mail address?

Participant

You would be very welcome to post it on the 6mm group: [email protected]

That is an e-mail address?[/quote]

io Group:

https://groups.io/g/6mm

Subscribe: [email protected]
    Unsubscribe: [email protected]
    Group Owner: [email protected]
    Help: [email protected]

This is a great idea. Need more small mini photos.

Participant

??

Keymaster

??

You said you were doing a topic with photos of 6mm minis.
    He said this is good as there are not enough photos of 6mm minis online.

Participant

My read is he wanted small pics of small minis. I want good size pics so you can make out the details. I want to have a thread here as this site has a larger % of 6mm support than most which see anything smaller than 28mm as non existent. I can see also starting a thread or somehow adding to the 6mm site.

Haha, hmmmm I wouldn’t mind smaller, mini sized photos, something between a usable photo and a thumbnail. BUT, a regular photo of small miniatures would be much better, yes.

Participant

How about this one for size, clarity, detail and usability? I only bought one of each of about a dozen sets more to get an idea of kit and quality so over a few sets you may get different groupings.

This is from Irregular CV16 20th century guerrillas.

Irregular CV16 20th century guerrillas

Can you put a ruller or some kind of grid close to the miniature? It’ll help a lot with estimating size.

Participant

I already have many pics of minis. I can crop them, JPEG optimize and reduce their size to similar to above. I could measure one figure on the base from the top of their head wear to the base using a digital vernier. I am not going to reshoot a bunch of minis. This thread is intended to provide clear photos of the minis primarily.

The above minis were primed in Khaki (a usual base uniform colour for many of my minis) and washed with a light black wash in order to pick out detail. As shipped in bare metal they were hard to discern for my aging eyes. In this case I was not concerned about using these figures and fully painting them, they were intended as just samples, although I may try painting a stand or two and seeing how easy or not  that is.

Participant

The above minis were primed in Khaki (a usual base uniform colour for many of my minis) and washed with a light black wash in order to pick out detail.

Interesting.  Do I understand that you undercoat in khaki rather than black or white, which would normally be used?

Participant

I almost always “prime” or base coat my figures with the overall or largest light colour which is almost always, OK always, the base colour of the uniform. Remember this is 6mm here. I have never tried or seen figures which were primed white but I have some which were primed black and I really don’t care for it. They are dark and harder to make out than usual and I see no benefit. I use enamels exclusively so regardless of the colour the coverage gets me where I want to be. Also the paint build up by priming first may be undesirable.

Participant

Well one guy wants me to post elsewhere, one guy seems interested and your input Mike. What do you think is it worth a thread? I am game but it will be a when I get to it.

Keymaster

Well one guy wants me to post elsewhere, one guy seems interested and your input Mike. What do you think is it worth a thread? I am game but it will be a when I get to it.

Entirely up to you.

But I think it would be a useful resource for sure.

I think the General forum would be best, assuming you will cover more than one genre/period.

Participant

That is why I started this thread in this forum. Irishserb’s is in modern as his models were cold war. My intent is all periods and manufacturers just 6mm.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.