Home Forums Modern Lost and found

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Have you ever sold /given away or lost any wargame related material only to come to deeply regret it later. I know I have But recently I was able to recover some of my lost treasure so feeling happy I decided to post on here . I recovered The book Team Yankie Sadly in Lg softback format not the original I once had , The chieftians again in softback and “The hieghts of courage ” By Avigidor Kahalanioriginal hardback but most precious to me an original Issue 48 of WAR MONTHLY The best issue of that volume of subscription that my Dad bought me as a tyke that started it all…I plan on doing several Lists for Force On Force from TY and will base my Coldwar Brit Battle group off of the issue 48 of WM (which goes into great detail on composition and tactics of said BG). I still need to find “RED THRUST” and Steven Zalogas “RED ARMY” as well as Brazen chariots ,18 Platoon and TAKE THESE MEN and even a few I have not read before to add to the collection. So what about the rest of you Brave sould what are some of the things you would like to recover from the sands of time…..Mikey

Participant

Many years ago I got rid of (can’t remember if I sold them or gave them away) my copies of Challenger, Challenger II, and Challenger 2000, all by Bruce Rea-Taylor, on the grounds that I’d never play them. Last year I saw copies and got all nostalgic, so I bought them 🙂

I didn’t know Zaloga wrote a book called Red Army, are you sure you’re not thinking of the one by Ralph Peters? Amazon have the Ralph Peters one.

I used to have the board wargames Air Force, Dauntless, and the Air Force Expansion Set. Every now and then I kick myself for selling them, even though I’m not sure I’d ever get to play them.

Military history author

Participant

Russell

I have Soviet Air Land Battle tactics by Baxter, I want to find both RED THRUST and RED ARMY but Have to wait till after the holidays. I also had all of Bruce Rea-taylor including all of TO&E books and will cetainly try to get those as well. I also regret losing all my GHQ Desert storm USMC a 1-1 division my Desert storm french , My DAK Brits and germans and finaly My 15mm Essex Colonials and English civil war figures all lost when my Brother moved to another state and then sold while I was away on business. awwwwwwww Family what a concept….even if I never get to play with my toys its a big boost just to take them out or read them again when your feeling down….Mikey

Participant

Your brother sold them? That’s pretty harsh 🙁 I think I have at least one or two of the TO&E books, and the book of scenarios (Battlegrounds? Something like that).

Possibly my most treasured wargaming book is Charles Grant’s Battle. My brother-in-law gave it to me when I first started showing an interest in miniature wargaming. I was probably about 10. I’ve still got it.

I’ve just thought of another one, though it’s not quite what you asked. When I was much younger, my sister and brother-in-law gave me a copy of “Battlegames Book 4: World War 2”. It’s a book about the war, with four board wargames included. I never got rid of it, but I did lose all the counters and rules 🙁 Recently I managed to get hold of a complete copy (with counters and rules) for a very reasonable price on Ebay.

Military history author

Participant

In the beforetime, in the long-long ago, in the midst of a hurricane, my apartment flooded and I lost a whole pile of amazing micro games from the old days, including my original Star Viking, Grav Armor, Triplanetary, and Starforce Alpha Centauri.  I’d rarely played them at the time, and the water and muck and filth from my upstairs neighbor’s leaking toilet basically fouled the whole lot, but now that I’m older and wiser, I wish I still had them.

I did manage to replace my copies of Shockwave and Battlesuit, but still.  Considering that some people died I got off easy.  But I still don’t have to like it.

Participant

Mr Average

That is horrible my sympathy for your loss…Mikey

Participant

I used to have “Sea Strike” and “King Maker” (the original) I think I gave them away or left them onboard submarines I was working on.

I have the 2nd version of “King Maker” but I have not found “Sea strike”, sometimes regret selling some books or figures but keep telling myself if you have not used it in 10 years get rid.

Participant

In the beforetime, in the long-long ago, in the midst of a hurricane, my apartment flooded and I lost a whole pile of amazing micro games from the old days, including my original Star Viking, Grav Armor…I wish I still had them.

Mr Average, with regard to Star Viking and Grav Armour, have you seen this page?

http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_index.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.