Home Forums Renaissance Lutzen 1632 refight

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hwiccee
    Participant

OK so here are some shots of a play test of a Lutzen 1632 scenario for the Twilight of Divine Right rules. Unfortunately not many of the pictures turned out well and we more or less forgot to take them after a while, so they are mainly from the start.

The Swedish player started by launching a general attack everywhere. On their left the floundered and in the centre it lend to a slugging match as the infantry exchanged blows. On their right the forces ‘led’ (more on this below) by the Swedish king quickly got the upper hand and broke the Imperial Left. Seemingly just in the nick of time the Imperialists received some reinforcement from off table. Unfortunately the relatively inexperienced Imperialist player split these up and sent some to each sector, rather than perhaps intervening decisively in one place. This meant he made some headway against the Swedish Left & came close to defeating them. But by this time the Swedish Right had turned on the centre. He didn’t really send enough to block these or significantly aid the by now beleaguered Imperialist centre. So again ‘led’ by the Swedish king the Swedish Right slammed into the, more or less, exposed flank of the Imperialist centre & it was ‘game over’ as their morale broke.

It was a good afternoons play with a nice ‘comic’ twist. The Swedish player knew that Gustav II Adolf, the Swedish king nicknamed ‘the Lion of the North’, died at this battle and he was determined to avoid this. So for the entire battle the Swedish king hid from any potential threat, resolutely stayed away from any combat and generally earned a new nickname – ‘the Chicken of the North’ 🙂

WhirlwindWhirlwind
    Participant

Thanks very much for posting that.  What does each base represent – a brigade?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Hwiccee
    Participant

Hi Whirlwind. Yes a base is something like a brigade but not exactly.

Standard infantry units in the game are 1000 to 2000 men, units can also be ‘Small’ or ‘Large’ & so have less/more than this. The size of the unit depends on it’s type and can be any number of units. I know you are into ECW and in that war the infantry are all what is called ‘Regiments’ and a standard unit is 1000 men. That could be a single large regiment at around full strength or maybe 5 understrength units of 200 each or some other combination. In general in the ECW it was common for units to combine/split into ‘battalia’ of circa 500 men, so many will be this.

The cavalry are similar with standard units of 500 to 800 depending on type. ECW units are 500 as standard representing a varying number of squadrons/troops adding up to that kind of number.

WhirlwindWhirlwind
    Participant

Thanks Hwiccee.  I have been considering how to tackle the Thirty Years War for a while but there doesn’t seem to be many rules out there for this period which can handle the bigger actions.  One can always bath-tub, but I have never found that particularly satisfying.

Hwiccee
    Participant

Whirlwind: I see you are planning to branch out. Well obviously I think these rules will suit what you have in mind, not that this helps much.

On the TYW types it is the same idea as above. You have the ECW and also ones specific to the TYW. For the infantry you have Early Tercio’s (around 2000 men), Tercio’s and Swedish Brigades (both around 1500 men each).

Something I didn’t mention before is that basing and exactly how you put the figures on the base does not matter as far as the game is concerned. So you can make units as big or small as you like & base them in any formation you think is right.

Similarly with the cavalry you have continental/earlier troop types which don’t feature in the ECW and represent up to 800 cavalry as above.

WhirlwindWhirlwind
    Participant

That is very interesting Hwiccee.  So how many bases would battles like Breitenfeld & Lutzen require for each side?

Hwiccee
    Participant

Lutzen was 21 Swedish units and 25 Imperialist units (and 2 fake units – we recycled reinforcements which were not on table at the start). I think that might be tweaked a bit for the final version of the scenario.

Breitenfeld is probably the largest battle of the war but if not is certainly one of the largest. It is 42 Swedish/Saxon units and 33 Imperialist units.

Units can be any size you like as all ranges/movement/etc are scaled to whatever size you use.

warren coleman
    Participant

Hi there,

Nice 6mm armies.  Do you have an OOB for the battle of Lutzen.

Thanks

Hwiccee
    Participant

Warren,

I can send you the OOB we used for the game, contact me at [email protected]

This is for the Twilight of Divine Right rules, These rules use a brigade as a unit and so doesn’t go into details. Also this was a test run and we have since made changes.

These are mainly because we found a better source on the battle than we used before. This is this book – https://www.amazon.co.uk/L%C3%BCtzen-Battles-Peter-H-Wilson/dp/0199642540 . I thoroughly recommend this book and it has full detailed OOB’s.

I hope this helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.