Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Ma.K – Operation Löwenzahn

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So the working out of the 15mm license with Kow Yokoyama’s S.F.3.D property with Slave2Gaming has seen some serious expansion of the original numbers, so I picked up some ones I’ve long been a fan of, most particularly the new 15mm Nutrocker tanks. I’m have to say these are really nice sculpts and have all kinds of cool little parts to do justice to the original plastic model kits – grab bars, valve heads, even little bits of steel wire for the antennas.

They definitely need a little work with the pin vise drill and sandpaper, but they’re definitely great for anyone who has a connection to the S.F.3.D universe.

I’m currently considering a campaign on Mars called “Unternehmen Löwenzahn,” or possibly an invasion of Sri Lanka which the Mercenaries will call Operation Caged Saint. This will move about as fast as any I do, I just happen to have one last day of vacation here so I broke open these guys for a little fun.

Participant

Wow, that piece might work as a submarine coning tower!

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157710630529376

Participant

Yes I suppose. That, or a robotic hover tank from the Shutoral Demokratische Republik.

Participant

I saw the pic before reading the post and was already impressed by the details and grab bar. Being 15mm makes it better. Are the grids on your cutting board in inches?

Not familiar with Ma.K, us this a hover tank? I rememebr womthing like this with chicken legs and that looked cool.

Steel aerial seems dangerous though.

Tired is enough.

Keymaster

Noice.

Stowage and weathering planned?

Keymaster

Temptation:

Participant

Noice. Stowage and weathering planned?

Yes! I want to do the usual things like oil leaks, exhaust ash, etc. it’s lus I’ve got some little imperfections I’m leaving unfilled so I can turn them into old weapon strikes.

Keymaster

You going to make a fancy base?

Maybe not to use to play, but maybe?
    But at least a base with cool shizz that you can store the model on?

Keymaster

OI DARBY, come lookee.

Participant

Really cool!  I’ve got quite a few their first release in 15mm, though I’m not a fan of their Jerrys and Goblins.  Their Krotes are amazing though!  I’m going to have to get some Nutrockers just so I can have them in 5 different scales.

Really looking forwards to what you do with this!  We’ve only gotten 5 games in on our 6mm campaign taking place in the Broken Hill area of Old Oz which I need to write up.  I hadn’t planned on painting the 15mm any time soon but you’re inspiring me to maybe use them for closeups or detail shots.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Really cool! I’ve got quite a few their first release in 15mm, though I’m not a fan of their Jerrys and Goblins. Their Krotes are amazing though! I’m going to have to get some Nutrockers just so I can have them in 5 different scales. Really looking forwards to what you do with this! We’ve only gotten 5 games in on our 6mm campaign taking place in the Broken Hill area of Old Oz which I need to write up. I hadn’t planned on painting the 15mm any time soon but you’re inspiring me to maybe use them for closeups or detail shots.

I’m so into it. I’m trying to decide how to play in a way that will best suit the flavor of the universe, where a suit of powered armor can overcome a battle tank. The Kröte is definitely the highlight of the line – takes a lot of drilling and pinning but it’s a great model and makes a very convincing automated soldier unit for games that predate the PKA. I don’t mind the Jerry myself, although you’re right that it’s not nearly as dynamic as the others. Interestingly I think the Hardwar modification of Horizon Wars, or even Horizon Wars itself, may work about right. Just stat up an SAFS as a Mech with appropriate powers and it’ll work. I’d even print up stat cards for them in an S.F.3.D style.

I really want them to do a 6mm scale line but it’s a super long shot. For now, working on the 15mm models really is giving me the same feeling I had working on the original kits back in the Beforetime. It’s actually a nostalgic little thrill. I might designate part of my weekend for “S.F. Sunday.” If you catch my drift. 😉

Participant

That sounds like a great plan, we’re going to hold you to it now!  😀

Participant

My first Nutrocker, primed black and now curing. I’m going to give it a few hours and then put on the base color. I’m doing a kind of pattern-breaking jungle camouflage in a mix of light brown, grey-green and light grey – in the final analysis Operation Löwenzahn/Caged Saint seems best for Sri Lanka.

Participant

Alas, false start – after an hour in the air conditioning the primer began peeling off in big sheets. The next layer, when I tested it, went on looking gritty, too. So into the SimpleGreen for a little strip and back to the drawing board.

Keymaster

Confused. Why is the primer peeling?

Why is the primer curing rather than drying? What did you use?

Did the makers use mould release like wax on the model, if so wash it in soapy water before priming and that will do the trick.

Or is it something else?

Participant

It was a new kind of primer I was trying, one supposedly “designed” for resin but apparently not THIS resin.  Curing and drying I’m using interchangeably because I’m working on a construction project where we’re talking about curing time for a whole lot of products so I’m probably misusing the term.  I wish I knew why it was peeling but I don’t – it just failed to adhere to the resin.

Also, it was a very hot day, and that may have affected both the application and the way it’s drying.  I’m giving the thing a thorough cleaning and going back to the usual primer I use.  I did clean all the parts before spraying them, though.  It must be a heat thing.

Keymaster

Annoying. GL.

Participant

Alas, false start – after an hour in the air conditioning the primer began peeling off in big sheets. The next layer, when I tested it, went on looking gritty, too. So into the SimpleGreen for a little strip and back to the drawing board.

Oh man that sucks. Better luck for the second go around.

One is good, more is better
    http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Yeah the rectification process for this unit is requiring a full scale dismantling, and probably several days in the solvent. I’m going back overseas this week so I’ll come back to it on my return. I have it pretty clean now but a lot of the detail needs going over with some dental tools to get the last of the black rubber crap out of it. But there’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a little patience.

In the meantime, this week’s SF Sunday is devoted to my second-favorite units, the Mercenary AFS Mk. 1 and 2, the SAFS, and the Kröte. These I cleaned VERY thoroughly, and just gave a coat of hard white primer, the usual metal prep formula I typically use. I tend to think the issue yesterday was a combination of rapidly changing humidity and rapidly rising and falling temperature, but it seems like I got the sweet spot this morning so the Mercenaries have a nice armored suit force and the Shutoral are getting two Krötes and a PaK Kröte, which is somewhere between a heavy powered suit and a light tank on legs.

Participant

Really looking forwards to you painting these up.  Do yours have somewhat obvious printlines on them, or did they clean up the masters for this go?

I’ve had some problems with different primers not mixing with different resins, but the one that has always come through for me whether on resin, plastic or metal has been Tamiya Fine (grey) and Super Fine (white).  The Super Fine sometimes needs a 2nd go over darker colored resin but then you have to be careful of pooling.  The only other thing that has worked on resin for me is Rustolium but it is too thick for use on finely detailed models (works great on Gundam garage kits though!)

Participant

I tried using Krylon and it came out as a rubbery mess. I went back to Rustoleum 2X Cover and it works great and is very respectful of details of applied in two thin coats.

These seem so far to be very clean casts with few to no noticeable print lines so far. The Krötes are very good models with lots of little greeblies for effect. They’re great. They seem to have upped their game a bit for this release.

Participant

Excellent news.  I’ll have to take a look at the minis I have but I believe the worst offenders for the print lines were the Gustavs and the SAFS.  It was a bummer as I really like the SAFS and the Gustavs (though the new Leopard model has rally grown on me with the forward push to the bubble.  I copied that for my 6mm Konrads.  Haven’t printed any yet so may not be noticeable in RL as opposed to on the screen).

Participant

Full disassembly and paint removal was successful!  There was some staining of the resin, but this will be covered by primer and the details are fully cleaned.  The Nutrocker is now air drying in preparation for priming this evening.

In the meantime, the suits are all ready to go, as are my first trio of Kröte “walking tanks” for the Shutoral forces.  This week, I actually get a genuine “SF Sunday,” as I’m back from overseas and the manuscript for my graphic novel is complete and off to the printer.  So here we go!

Participant

SF Sunday is on for this week.  First up, fully repaired and primed Nutrocker tank, back from the brink.

I also have a trio of Kröte robotic walkers:

and of course, for the IMA, I have Armored Fighting Suits.  AFS Mk. 1:

AFS Mk. 2:

And the noble SAFS:

Not shown (still with primer drying) is my Quar Royalist Paerdyryn tank, but that’s for another thread.

Keymaster

And the noble SAFS

So iconic.

Participant

I freely admit that the S.PzKpz. in my comic 6-Commando owes a great deal to the SAFS in its design.

Participant

Prototype of the armor color for the IMA Third Armored Infantry Division, Operation Caged Saint, Northern Sri Lanka, 2884.  This is an AFS Mk. 1, used by the 96th Independent Interface Brigade as part of the beachhead operation.

The AFS Mk. 2 was in wider use by the follow-on forces assigned directly to the Third Armored Infantry Division, which were meant to exploit the initial landings and hold open the landing zones for additional IMA armored and infantry forces.  The plan was that once the northern third of the island was consolidated, artillery and ballistic missile sites could be set up to bombard Colombo and support the encirclement and defeat of the remaining Shutoral forces on the island.  The IMA command hoped that a swift victory would give them access to the derelict orbital elevator facility at Colombo, which Shutoral forces had converted to a spaceport and which the Provisional Government wanted to deny them in preparation for further attacks on the Indian subcontinent in early 2885.

Participant

the manuscript for my graphic novel is complete and off to the printer.

Congrats my dude!  Is it for 6-Commado?

That’s a dern nice AFS you have there.  I question some of the poses they came up with but your color scheme is perfecto.

Participant

It is inDEED for 6-Commando!  I’m hoping to release it at the Small Press Expo this year!

And I agree the poses are a little odd, but what can one do?

This evening I’m basecoating my PzH.103.  I have in mind a camouflage scheme like I did for the Stahlritters a while back, only I may go with green instead of brown.

Participant

I question some of the poses they came up with but your color scheme is perfecto.

And thank you by the way!  I was tormented by that color, as it hovers somewhere at the intersection of green, yellow and tan.  Sometimes it looks like an olive drab, sometimes it looks like a desert khaki, it was actually hard to get right.  To blend it all out I had to take the middle tone, which is a sort of yellow ochre, and blend it into the base color as well as the highlight.

Keymaster

Nice, also not grubby mad wizard fingernails too, always a bonus!

Participant

Ya, some of those modelers really overdo it with the weathering and chipping effects, making front line units look like 3rd generation hand-me-downs.

You’ve got a good balance there Matt.

Keymaster

Next you will be saying you can over do it with stowage  !!  :O  😛

Participant

My first ‘Rocker got its base coat and a heavy wash yesterday – tonight I do the midtone and block in the camouflage.  No stowage on this one, but maybe the others!

Participant

You know, according to Mr Yokoyama the SDR had some MANNED Nutrockers for C&C!  So, stowage may be appropriate in some rare cases.

Participant

My first ‘Rocker – base color, wash and blockout for the contrasting camouflage.  I’m going to give this a kind of tan edge so it looks a little less like the icing on a chocolate donut.

Participant

That is a really fab scheme.  I went with grey with green and purple geometric shapes on my 6mm which is ok, but yours just looks sinister!

Participant

Loving seeing how this project is progressing.

One is good, more is better
    http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Final ‘Rocker in savannah camouflage.  I might redo the distinctive unit insignia but part of me likes the “amateurish” look, which suits the style of German unit badges from the War, on which Shutoral force badges are based.  At a minimum I’ll probably touch up the head a little, but the unit insignia is a sort of mascot for the 1011th Automated Brigade they call “Stumpy the Elephant”.

“Stummelig der Elefant,” the DUI of the 1011th Automated Brigade, painted on the front glacis plate.  This is slapped on just before combat because the early part of Unternehmen Löwenzahn required Shutoral infantry ground forces to coordinate with several Automated Brigades.  As a result, field recognition couldn’t be left to IFF units as it might have been if it were an all-automated attack, as during Unternehmen Faserei.

Participant

Love it, that is a great scheme and badge!  Strangely, next to the AFS the NR looks a bit small.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.