Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Made some (better) desert hills

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

After being disappointed with the results for the amount of work that went into using cardboard as a hill material, I went back to cork.

The hills were painted black and drybrushed up through 4 colours of dollar store acrylic paint (black, cinammon brown, tan and antique ivory). Then they were glazed back down in the recesses as well as some green glazing to break things up a bit. I decided not to match the drop cloth as I wanted the elevation change to stand out more.

My little 15mm guys need to be rebased to match this new brown table. I think just a glaze of cinnamon brown and a tan dry brush will do) The MRAP is a Matchbox repaint.

Participant

Those came out nicely!

Painting them was a good idea. I made a bunch of cork tile terrain ages ago but didn’t paint it. It was rather dark and gloomy, even for the battlefields of the 41st Millennium!

Participant

Thanks. Painting them also stiffened them up quite a bit. I really wanted the high contrast topographic map type look, so painting them had to happen (though at one point I was tempted to just use stain like minwax or army painter type stuff).

The corner pieces and edge pieces can also form hills by joining together. The seams are a little more pronounced than I’d like, but I think they still work.

Participant

Those look superb! I especially like the edge/corner details. They hem the battlefield nicely.

Participant

These are REALLY nice!

I recently did a similar project for my 3mm sci-fi set up, but your hills are much better and now I am envious.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

You know what it reminds me of? The tile sets from Starcraft – the late 90’s Starcraft. It looks like Mar Sara. And I love it!

I’m super into doing this myself once I’m ambulatory again!

Participant

Participant

Very nice indeed.  Lots of depth and dimension via paint.  Good job nheastvan!

Participant

Participant

I have got some cork tiles to try my hand at this.  Very nice work and love the way you made them modular.

Participant

I am going to have to get some cork and give them a try.  They look spectacular.

Participant

Cork is my favorite material. Anyone in Canada should check out Dollarama locations as they have both tiles and kitchen items in cork for very cheap. I also use their cheap craft paints for terrain (Vallejo and Coat d’Arms for miniatures).

For the modular thing, I just started with a tile and measured from each corner and then left the factory edge.

Participant

Thadeus Blanchette. I like your table. If you do glazes and washes, you might want browns instead of blacks as the rest of the terrain doesn’t really go that dark.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.